Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Case closed.
So the water traveled through the plastic case, around the lens, and through the lcd to sit behind the glass. Yeah, right.

09-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fantasysage Quote
Not a wr lens, but only the back bottom half the the camera got wet at all.

And for everyone screaming warranty. It still works, the is just water in the LCD. I really do not want to be without a camera for 2 months. It is bull it happened in the first place, and it looks like I am not the only person this is happening to if you google. It looks like the QA is dodgy.
....as long as you're fine with never using it in the rain exposed, then go ahead and run with it. If you want it to dry better, put it in a bag of rice or desiccants for a night.

But if I were to have a WR camera, and I found that a seal was damaged, then I would get it replaced because I bought a WR camera for a reason.
09-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
So who got freaked out? You or your old man?
I didn't even say what happened because I will catch flak over buying Pentax (he is a Nikon guy, and I was for a while too).
09-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

How can you be sure where it went?
Water has a habit of getting into places.

The camera is WR as a system.
Just like WR lenses aren't WR by themselves, neither is the camera.

09-14-2012, 06:09 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Here's a heads up for you. Pentax does not advertise it's cameras as being water resistant. It does not advertise them as being water proof. It does not advertise them as being weather proof. It advertises them as being weather sealed.

"WR" does not mean water resistant. It does not mean water proof. It does not mean weather proof. It means weather resistant. Weather sealed does not mean weather proof. It does not mean water proof. It means it affords you a degree of protection in inclement weather.

You should be mad, but you should be mad at yourself. There is a difference between being able to withstand rain falling on a camera and being able to withstand a cup of water being intentionally splashed on a camera.
09-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should get your water tested!
09-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Here's a heads up for you. Pentax does not advertise it's cameras as being water resistant. It does not advertise them as being water proof. It does not advertise them as being weather proof. It advertises them as being weather sealed.

"WR" does not mean water resistant. It does not mean water proof. It does not mean weather proof. It means weather resistant. Weather sealed does not mean weather proof. It does not mean water proof. It means it affords you a degree of protection in inclement weather.

You should be mad, but you should be mad at yourself. There is a difference between being able to withstand rain falling on a camera and being able to withstand a cup of water being intentionally splashed on a camera.
Totally:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pentax+k-30+marketing&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D7&...zwDerr0gGws4EQ

09-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I hate to say this but that could happen to any camera. Am I wrong?
09-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #24
Pentaxian

If you just bought it, see if it's still in the return period. Many vendors will exchange a defective item without making the customer got through the manufacturer warranty. Water damage might be a special case, though, and I think you'll have to deal with Pentax.
09-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
Pentaxian

There are times when I get condensation in the back of K-5 , and I have to admit.. it is really annoying. It always happens when it's cold and your hands are freezing... just to add insult to injury. But I'm not sure it's a problem with the seals. There's bound to be moisture in the camera from changing lenses on humid days etc.... so what can you do?
09-14-2012, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The screen seals have always been shoddy compared to the rest of the water sealing, my K20D has a big spray of dust behind the lcd cover from the zoom lenses sucking air in and out from a seal failure in the corner, but I don't have any WR lenses so I never cared. These cameras really need a WR breather. A bead of black RTV gasket sealant packed into the seam around the edge then wiped off would work well too, it never hardens and holds up very well.

And for the confused person who blamed the lens, its impossible to get water in through the lens and have it end up under the LCD without filling the whole camera first, the internal design is far too cluttered.

And for those who say Pentax doesn't advertise the camera being water proof, here is the picture off the Pentax website showing what he just did.

09-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QC issues - I admit to that, and this one probably is one of those cases. One of my friends in the local Pentax community (a former employee in the Cebu plant) advised against buying 1st batch releases of cameras, as they tend to have more issues. It's best to have it either replaced or serviced because for sure the WR seals can all be considered suspicious at this point.

Problem with buying though is it's difficult to know if the camera you got is first batch or not (via serial number) unless it's been a good 6-8 months after initial release.

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
my K20D has a big spray of dust behind the lcd cover from the zoom lenses sucking air in and out from a seal failure in the corner,
perhaps the "air-gapless" feature in the new K-5 II/s is the solution for that? I mean, what they did for it...
09-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote

perhaps the "air-gapless" feature in the new K-5 II/s is the solution for that? I mean, what they did for it...
Oooooo.. good point...

And reduces glare too
09-14-2012, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fantasysage Quote
Not a wr lens, but only the back bottom half the the camera got wet at all.

And for everyone screaming warranty. It still works, the is just water in the LCD. I really do not want to be without a camera for 2 months. It is bull it happened in the first place, and it looks like I am not the only person this is happening to if you google. It looks like the QA is dodgy.
Well, if you don't want to be w/o a camera, then live with one that doesn't do what you paid for and is not worth what you paid. Plus you'll have something to complain about every time you show someone how water (as opposed to weather) resistant it is. Otherwise, send it in and they will either fix it, or replace it with a NEW one, and I'm betting in less than 2 months.

On your advice, I Googled "Water in Pentax Camera". There was only one hit in the first 5 pages, and it was about an Optio from 2010.

BTW: I hope you don't show your dad how great the air bag in your car is next.
09-14-2012, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I'm still within my Moderator warning period for making ad hominem posts - but I certainly wouldn't intentionally splash a plastic cup of water on any camera to make a point to my Nikonian father. In my gentlest, most humblest, least judgingmentalest opinion there is a certain amount of User Error here, regardless of any fault eventually found in this individual camera body.

I always thought the ads were risky anyway, since I interpret them to be a metaphor rather than an actual demonstration of fact. The ads should have that "Never attempt yourself. Shot in a closed studio by a professional window washer. Not intended to depict real use." disclaimer like the sports car ads do.