Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #151

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
hmm can the DA 55-300 qualify? it's not WR though... but with that long extending tube it should pump air..

anyway tried it with an FA 28-105, tissue paper didn't move a bit. But will try your suggested lenses in the nearest shop, thanks!
55-300 is too crappy build. It can not pump because it breaths air from everywhere . But Pentax ideas about making kit lenses WR is great! They have created such a nice pumps.

04-17-2013, 09:18 PM - 2 Likes   #152

Photos: Albums
I watched Heie's video on youtube a few weeks ago and it was the desiding factor in my decision not purchase the D5200 and Buy a K30 instead. Trust and believe, I have no regrets.
04-18-2013, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a K20D which was used in heavy rain as well as a K7 and a K5 which was used in dusty environments and rain too. All the seals worked. I just bought the K30 last week and waiting for rain to test it under.

Get your K30 replaced as it should be under warranty.
04-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fantasysage Quote
Well I took it out today and got some shots. Like the camera a lot. Apart from the whole LCD thing of course. I will probably get it looked at eventually. I juse hate being without a camera.

Photo Album - Imgur
Nice photos. Sharp!!

04-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #155

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I have had my K-5 with me all over the theme parks in Orlando FL and have taken it with me on every single water ride I went on. For two days at Disney it rained, and I was pretty much the only "idiot" fool enough to have my camera out in it(well that is how folks were looking at me...like I was an idiot fool willing to destroy my DSLR)
I am happy to report that the camera performed flawlessly in every water related condition I put it through. Yes I was testing the capabilities of my camera, why? because I would rather it give out now, instead of down the road where I have it out shooting something really important and it dies on me then.
One of the main reasons I got my K-5 was for the advertised weather sealant capabilities, I needed a camera where I can take it and not have to worry about getting it wet, full of sand and dust. I am the type of person who prides himself on testing out the capabilities of a given item, however once I am sure that it performs as promised, I tend to back off on the testing phase and actually start to "baby" my equipment as much as I can although I am still rough on it.
I also constantly wiped the whole camera/lens/grip down every chance I got because even though it is weather sealed I still wanted to make sure (once it was tested) that I was really not intentionally giving it a reason to fail on me.
Just like the OP I will not hesitate to show someone the abilities this camera possesses of weather sealing and will dump a glass of water on the camera......I've seen me do it.
His camera shouldn't have leaked with just 1/4 cup of water splashed on it, and Pentax really should IMHO offer him a new camera as a replacement, and if not then they shouldn't advertise their equipment with images of them throwing a lot of water on a camera body.
I have used Pentax gear all my shooting life and it has NEVER let me down, hope for the OP they make good.

Disclaimer-For those of you who are calling "BS" to my claims of taking my camera on the water rides AND using it while on the rides, I hope this clears it up-

I must have clicked off around thirty shots coming down that hill, I had the camera set on continuous high speed shooting and this is the "wettist" shot, we were all SOAKED from head to toe when we got off this ride along with the camera......I just wiped it off and went on my merry way in the happiest place on earth.
I did the same thing! There were people on Kali River Rapids looking at me like i was crazy for having my camera (k-5) out. I've had no problems
04-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simbon4o Quote
50-200WR and 18-135WR can test your camera sealings perfectly, they are like big pumps.
Exactly. They can pump air out and draw air in too.
But think about it - if they couldn't do that to some degree, those lenses wouldn't be able to zoom in or out at all due to trapped air suction or compression within the lens and camera body.

WR lenses with internal zooming mechanisms or WR primes should seal the best, I think.
04-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Exactly. They can pump air out and draw air in too.
But think about it - if they couldn't do that to some degree, those lenses wouldn't be able to zoom in or out at all due to trapped air suction or compression within the lens and camera body.

WR lenses with internal zooming mechanisms or WR primes should seal the best, I think.
Yes like the DA*50-135/2.8

04-18-2013, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
And for everyone screaming warranty. It still works, the is just water in the LCD. I really do not want to be without a camera for 2 months.
I really do understand. When my K-r came down with the dreaded e-dial affliction I felt the same way. However in that situation I found the repair was something I could do to restore full functionality without jeopardizing my remaining warranty.

It is probably pretty easy to remove the water from your LCD using one of the desiccant packages made for just that purpose - however, you your case, that won't restore full functionality; meaning weather resistance. I really don't think you have a choice but to either send the camera in for repair, or use the camera as a non-WR unit. If you make the latter choice, I would hope you could avoid on going complaint about the lack of WR. I know I would have a tough time with that, so unless I had something imminent, the camera would go in for service.
04-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess it's time to drop the K-30 in a bag of rice for a couple of days. Bummer.
04-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
I guess it's time to drop the K-30 in a bag of rice for a couple of days. Bummer.
Or stick it in your refrigerator for a while? (NOT the freezer section, and not anywhere within the fridge where it could freeze). My refrigerator has 25% humidity inside. That's drier than what I usually run my dry cabinet at.
04-20-2013, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Or stick it in your refrigerator for a while? (NOT the freezer section, and not anywhere within the fridge where it could freeze). My refrigerator has 25% humidity inside. That's drier than what I usually run my dry cabinet at.
Be careful with the refrigerator - it depends exactly what type of refrigerator it is. Some refrigerators increase humidity above ambient while others lower it. Always check with a hygrometer to see whether your fridge actually reduces humidity or increases it.

The other thing you have to be careful about is that as soon as you put it inside it will cool down very quickly and even if the air in the refrigerator is dry the cold will cause condensation inside the camera, as it precipitates the water vapour from the air already inside the camera.

I would say by far the best way to dry it would be to put it in a sealed container with plenty of freshly activated silica gel and keep it in a warm place. The warmth will speed up the ecvaporation and the silica gel will readily absorb it.
04-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Be careful with the refrigerator -
Sensible advice. Listen to this guy. I hadn't thought the refrigerator option all the way through.
05-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K30. I have dropped it into sea surf, used it in pouring rain. It has never failed.
05-21-2013, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #164
Veteran Member

The thing i advocate is, so long as your gear is under warranty, both body and lens WR that is, use it as per normal and make it a habit to literally hose/wash/spray it down every single day.

Anytime there's a problem, just send the kit back for repairs. And don't be so detailed in what you did, just say you were caught in light rain and the leakage happened.
*It don't matter if DA lenses have slightly lesser sealings or not.. If Pentax lies, so can you... *

On top of ensuring that your kit is clean, just like your clothes, this also helps the Pentax community as a whole to provide a physical feedback to Pentax HQ of it's QC.

Best to discover and keep sending it back for repair/exchange until it's confirmed that your kit has no issues whatsoever, before the day comes when you are caught in the rain and out of warranty.. Then woops! You only have yourself to blame..
05-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got a K-30. slashed a cup of water (2oz) on the back to freak my old man out. This happens...
Sorry if this was posted before, but I didn't see it mentioned.

Pentax, in its advertising on YouTube, dumps a 1/2 beaker of water on a K-30 about a minute in: