Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-30 and Metz mecablitz 50 AF-2 flash incompatibility

I have had a Mecablitz 58AF-2 for about a year and been using it with a K-r and generally performed very well. I do occasionally get an extreme over or under exposurefor no apparent reason but it happens rarely enough to be of no consequence.

Just a few weeks ago I bought a K-30 and although I haven't used the Mecablitz with it that much it does seem to work fine except for one thing - the high speed sync. I have seen another post regarding problems with the 58AF-1 and K-30, which seem to be considerable from what I read. (I copied the thread title just replacing AF-1 with AF-2). I've seen such problems reported also on other forums. From my experience with the AF-2 it seems that most of the problems of the AF-1 are sorted out in the AF-2.

So, back to what doesn't work properly, the High Speed Sync.

With the shutter speed at 1/180 or slower everything works fine, which is understandable because although the HSS mode is enabled it does not actually need to use it at 1/180. However as soon as I go above that speed, even just 1/200, the resulting picture is exactly the same as it would be with the flash switched off. The flash does actually fire but I suspect it is only the preflash going off. Maybe it is also doing the main flash but if so its not synchronised with the shutter as no light at all from the flash is registered on the photo.

Here I must remind that on the K-r the HSS function works just fine, all the way up to the fastest speed of 1/6000 - it is only with the K-30 that it doesn't work.

I had the V2.0 software in the 58AF-2 and at first thought that was the problem. However I upgraded to V3.0 (which AFAIK is the latest one) but the problem is still there.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I am wondering whether it is actually an incompatibility problem or else that my K-30 is broken.

By the way does anyone know what improvements are brought by V3 compared to V2 ? - neither the website nor the documentation with the download seems to say anything about it.

09-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was out today on a single (flash) outdoors lighting workshop and noticed the very same thing. It was very frustrating not to be able to use HSS

I hope there is or will be a firmware update that can fix this.

Edit: Updated firmware to v3 but that didn't help

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 09-18-2012 at 02:26 PM.
09-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Forum Member

The incompatibility problem between K30 and Metz 50 has already been discussed
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/197383-k-30-metz-mecablitz-50...atibility.html
You 'll have to wait for a firmware update. Metz is aware of the problem and I hope that will soon fix it.
09-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axel12p Quote
The incompatibility problem between K30 and Metz 50 has already been discussed
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/197383-k-30-metz-mecablitz-50...atibility.html
You 'll have to wait for a firmware update. Metz is aware of the problem and I hope that will soon fix it.
It is not the same issue. I have been through that thread - that one is specifically for the AF-1 and not the AF-2. All of the problems mentioned in that thread do not exist on the AF-2 as far as I can tell. Actually you will notice that I 'stole' the title of that thread to make a new one for the AF-2.

The software upgrade mentioned in that thread is for the AF-1, there is no indication as far as I could tell that they are also dealing with the AF-2. In any case the problems mentioned in that thread are already solved even in V2.0 of the AF-2. With the V3.0 upgrade I have not noticed any difference and I don't have a clue what changes it may have brought about.

With the AF-2 the only problem I have found is the HSS, which is not mentioned at all (or I missed it) in the AF-1 thread.

10-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The issue is confirmed by Metz and they are working on a firmware update. It should be available around fall.
06-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

New firmware - woho!

Pentax: Metz
06-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
New firmware - woho!

Pentax: Metz
With new firmware update flash works even better than with K-10D. K-30 with updated Metz AF48-1 rocks. Exposures are consistent and correct !