Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I ment the battery that comes with the K-R and K-30 are they the same one?
Yes, they are the same.

10-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #17

I got a much less expensive version of the battery holder from Hong Kong on eBay (quality seems fine), and although my K-30 works fine when I use alkaline AAs, there's insufficient voltage in my Delkin NiMH batteries to keep the camera running for more than a couple minutes. NiMH batteries nominally only provide about 1.2 V or a total of about 5 V. Does anyone know what the minimum voltage required by the K-30 is? Other people have gotten NiMHs to work and I wonder why my camera can't use them.
10-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #18
Forum Member

I got 2 of those e-bay AA-holders too, in addition to the 'original'. The cheap ones are slightly 'bendier' (at the thin areas) and there is no metal plate on the one side. However, for ~$4 compare to ~$30, they're definitely worth it! I honestly don't see them breaking any more than the 'original' would.

Unfortunately I don't know the minimum voltage of the K-30, but I know Eneloops power it for quite a while. I used to get Rayovac Hybrids (also Low Self Discharge) which were available locally that were so-so but after trying Eneloops, I'll NEVER look back. I just wish I hadn't wasted so much money on those Rayovac Hybrids simply because they were available in a local supermarket.. And Eneloops are actually the same price nowadays, but one has to buy over $25 worth to get Amazon free shipping. They also sell Eneloop XX which are 2500mah, but can only be recharged ~500 times - I assume before reaching the 80% of labelled capacity mark which is a standard used by manufacturers from what I remember via CandlePowerForums. They have a second generation of Eneloops now which are supposed to be much better and store unused for 3 years(to 75%) - of which I have many sets now.
I do remember even the Rayovac hybrids recharging the flash on my Fuji S7000 bridge INSTANTLY, and the Eneloops were even faster - so I assume the 2nd gen Eneloops will be Instant-Instantly since I believe I read they have an even lower internal resistance the the original eneloops.

Personally, I'd forget anything except for Eneloops these days... They're also extraordinarily consistent from battery to battery - as verified by my Maha C-1000 and La Crosse BC-900 battery analyzers/chargers. I've even stopped labeling my batteries, since before I had to make sure that all batteries in a set [of 4] were near each other in performance - because all it takes is *1* bad one in a set to bring them all down. With Eneloops, it's nice not to have to worry about that anymore! That was a PITA, I tell ya!

.... As to why your particular brand of batteries don't work.. Based off of what I remember (I'll try.. ) from my learning about batteries at Candlepowerforums.. It could either be because those batteries have too high of an internal resistance and can't put out the amount of current the K-30 needs - the resistance will also increase with the age of the batteries. Or one or more of them may be have high IR and the others 'ok', so the current is limited by the bad/aged ones in a set. I read that the low self discharge batteries in general all have a lower internal resistance than their normal counterparts, so they can better be able to put out the amount of current that higher-drain devices need - with Eneloops being at the top of that 'game'.

i.e. Just get yourself a bunch of 2nd gen Eneloops (1500 charges-2000mah) and be done with it. Or go with Eneloop XX (500 charges-2500mah) if you prefer/need longer shooting times at the expense of fewer total charges possible.

Last edited by Hoggy; 10-23-2012 at 05:05 AM.
10-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I have an AA adapter for my K-30 that was a few bucks (from China) with 2nd generation Eneloops in it -- works like a charm and seems to last significantly longer than the stock Li-ion battery (just an impression, not tested).

10-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I have an AA adapter for my K-30 that was a few bucks (from China) with 2nd generation Eneloops in it -- works like a charm and seems to last significantly longer than the stock Li-ion battery (just an impression, not tested).
I notice that too - vs. the supplied Li-ion. I think they included a lousy Li-ion so the shot count would show as lower than the K-5 (& II/s). The Eneloops seem to last MUCH longer IMO.
10-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #21

Going from memory, the supplied Li-ion battery has a capacity of only about 1000 mAH, whereas 4 NiMH AA batteries should have a capacity of about 8000 mAH. With their lower voltage, NiMH may not use their full capacity before the camera complains about insufficient power, but there's still the potential for much longer shooting times with AA's. However, a colleague of mine says he can easily get ~500 shots using the supplied Li-ion battery (in his K-5).
10-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nihonsuki Quote
Going from memory, the supplied Li-ion battery has a capacity of only about 1000 mAH, whereas 4 NiMH AA batteries should have a capacity of about 8000 mAH. With their lower voltage, NiMH may not use their full capacity before the camera complains about insufficient power, but there's still the potential for much longer shooting times with AA's. However, a colleague of mine says he can easily get ~500 shots using the supplied Li-ion battery (in his K-5).
The battery in the K-5 is bigger so your colleague's experience doesn't translate all that well. Pentax estimates the stock Li109 battery provides 480 shots (400 w/ 50% flash). They then estimate four lithium AAs will give 1600 shots (1000 w/ 50% flash). Lithium AAs appear to be right around 3000 mAh capacity (and 1.5 volts, I think). Seems that Eneloops would come in somewhere in between those two types of batteries for shot capacity.