Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any freezing problems with K30?(like those with K5) or any other problems?

I know that some K5 cameras have problems with long exposures or long usage of liveview, movie shooting. Problem like overheating of the body and freezing the controls.
In the review(in this site) of the K30 when they compare the K5 with K30 there was a problem with the K5 when using tracking focus... anybody have something like this with the K30?

I'm asking about any problem with K30 now because probably I will buy one soon, but I'm still not 100% sure about my choice.

K5- better image quality, better body
K30- a little cheaper, 720p 60fps movie

I just can't decide what is more important to me the movie mode or the photos, so now I'm looking for something else to make my decision easier .

09-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Several people have reported the k-30 to freeze or lock in a certain mode. It's not a common complaint though - and no new firmware has been issued yet.
09-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #3

I have had my K-30 for a few months and have not had any freeze ups . A few things that I have noticed , in the AFA focus mode the camera does not always switch to AF C when needed . I use the selector switch for better results . The camera tends to under expose in difficult lighting situations ie backlighting . Had to use about 2 stops ev comp in some situations . Otherwise great camera once you get use to the metering and focus limitations . I have a freind who has commented on how nice the colors are on my jpeg shots and he just purchased the $6000 Nikon body ! Not a full frame camera but a very capable aspc body. Just my 2 cents .
09-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
jup
Forum Member

I've seen couple of freezups with mine, requiring battery pull, but they're pretty rare. I've seen maybe 4 since I got camera in July and I use it quite extensively. I don't really consider this an issue. Apart from that, and apart from Auto ISO in M mode (which actually changes mode to TAv and then we have people complaining that M mode doesn't work), K-30 is very much trouble free.

09-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #5

I had my first "freeze-up" with the K-30 last night. I was doing interval shooting of 22 frames and 30 second exposure. It was able to finish the shooting, but when I was reviewing the photos I couldn't zoom to check the focus, the camera was not responding. I was still able to browse the photos though by pressing the left and right directional buttons. The power button was not working as well so I had to pull out the battery. FWIW, I had another set of interval shooting after this issue, this time some 30 frames and did not encounter the freeze problem again.

Not sure if the K-30 freezes during bulb mode as I haven't used it much for bulb shooting. Just speculating as my K-x would freeze with bulb shooting more than half of the time.
09-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drivingback Quote
I had my first "freeze-up" with the K-30 last night. I was doing interval shooting of 22 frames and 30 second exposure. It was able to finish the shooting, but when I was reviewing the photos I couldn't zoom to check the focus, the camera was not responding. I was still able to browse the photos though by pressing the left and right directional buttons. The power button was not working as well so I had to pull out the battery. FWIW, I had another set of interval shooting after this issue, this time some 30 frames and did not encounter the freeze problem again.

Not sure if the K-30 freezes during bulb mode as I haven't used it much for bulb shooting. Just speculating as my K-x would freeze with bulb shooting more than half of the time.
Depending on settings, that may be your k-30 still processing the files in the background due to the extreme nature of the shoot.
09-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #7

I'm not convinced. I was only shooting 22 frames when it froze. But when I shot 30 frames, it did not. But I wish I won't experience it again.
09-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Is it possible your SD card to be not that good?

09-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #9

I think I am using a pretty decent card. Sandisk class 10 16GB. I was also using a set of fully charged white eneloop batteries.
And for the record I am not complaining here, just giving a report for the OP. Ilove my K-30!
09-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax is a good value that's the bottom line. Images from a K5 or K30 are just fabulous. Issues . . . well, yeah, there's issues and only you can decide if those issues are a make or break deal for you to buy a new Pentax camera. Read the K30 review in this forum, do what you're doing by asking questions and then compare with other brands as to what is important for future uses . . .fast AF, accurate AF tracking . . maybe those don't apply to you so any AF issues are non-critical. I like the brand, I use it, I recommend it but as I've said before, I use my canon gear for critical assignments. I've had/used Canon Rebel cameras as well and they seem to do just fine if you plan on doing any lens upgrades and such.
09-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The only freezing I have experienced were (to my knowledge) due to new rechargeable AA batteries. Once the batteries had been changed enough number of time, I stopped having freeze issues.
10-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Forum Member

I had a repeated problem the other day. When using live view and composing the focus point, my K30 was trying very hard to lock the focus and then I lost control of it. Live view is still working, just none of any buttons are. I had to pull out the battery.
10-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #13

Looks like i have an issue with sd card comparement door, particular with door-is-locked sensor. Sometimes the camera just doesnt switch on, and sometimes it does switches off while using. Open-close door procedure usually helping out. Right now im trying to figure out how stable this "bug". If it will continue to appear, i will have to send it to Germany (from Russia), where i brought it in online store. It will be a hard decision, as its a hard time, being without slr for months And it will costs me alot too.
11-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I experienced a few odd thing during last nights event shoot.

Cam 1: About 1 second shutter release delay. I checked my AF and timer settings again and again and could not see why the camera would behave like this. I do not know how many times it occurred but plenty enough.

AF was always on MF when it happened.

Battery consumption seems to be very off on both my cameras. - my record is 1300 but I'm nowhere that any longer.

Cam 1 had to have batteries changed after maybe 400 photos while Cam 2 needed a change (I assume) after 250ish exposures. The second set was drained a lot after another 100 exposures. I should the very least be able to get 700 with no problem using Sanyo XX.

"I assume" cam 2 needed battery change because at one point I couldn't even turn it off. Battery indicator was red - reinserting the same batteries still showed a red indicator.

Cam 2 have some photos with thumbnail size RAW previews and others in higher resolution but something that looks like 200% stretched. It *should* not be battery related since I was at this point into 75 exposure on an otherwise fresh set of batteries.

Edit: the preview size/stretching thing might be indirectly related to how Photo Mechanic is showing the RAW files. I personally think a difference occurred when they were originally saved in the camera.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 11-24-2012 at 07:54 PM.
11-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

No lockups in my first couple of weeks of K-30 ownership apart from one when I was trying out an incompatible (as it turned out) Sigma EF500 DG Super flash which has been sent off to Sigma for updating. I had updated the K-30 firmware by the 2nd day which may have helped as Pentax quoted stability improvements for 1.01.

One thing I have noticed that's difficult to reproduce is this though:- with LCD off in record mode, buttons become non-operational, e.g. the up arrow won't bring the ISO screen up or let it be adjusted in the VF, there may be others not working as well. The answer to that one is that somehow the loads of buttons I've just pressed (who knows what) have put the camera into the mode where there's no LCD (desired) but the AF point select now requires the long OK button push to get back to normal mode - this would have been obvious if I had the LCD on all the time but it sure isn't if it's off. So, basically if the LCD is off when shooting and you find that pressing the up arrow doesn't let you adjust ISO, press OK for a second then it will work.

EDIT:
I've just noticed something else that doesn't seem right. I use the extra strength Auto WB so that indoor tungsten shots look less warm and it works fine with my Sigma 17-70 and 35/2.4, but not when I put on an old manual lens eg 55/1.8 where it looks far too warm and I have to use the Tungsten WB setting.

Last edited by SteveB; 11-25-2012 at 11:53 AM.