Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 03:21 AM   #1

K30 Teething Questions

Hi Everyone.

Had my new K30 with the 18-135WR for a few weeks and I mustsay what a stunning piece of kit it is. Had a Pentax MX years ago and having been many years without an SLR Itook six months to decide what to buy and here I am returning to the fold withthe K30. Took months pouring over N’sand C’s, read the K30 reviews, got one in my hands and that was it.

I have a couple of issues I’d like members help with please:

1. Do youget a rather “chinky” rattle from the flash housing if you shake the cameragently from side to side or when walking? It stops if you put your finger firmly on the flash housing or if you openthe flash. I’m guessing this is thesmall retaining arms moving when they are left looser in the closed positionand whilst slightly distracting when walking this is harmless?

2. I had an issue last week when I went out in ashower for ten minutes, it was quite cold and when I came back inside I tried to use the flash and got a “BatteryDischarged” message several times. Ithen felt that the left hand grip was hot in the palm of my hand (I’m guessingthis is where the charging capacitor is located?) so I turned her off andpopped out the battery.

On closer inspection I noticed Ihad what looked like condensation inside the viewfinder and LCD screen. I reckon it was condensation because it wasfine mist rather than droplets. I leftthe camera for several hours and the condensation disappeared and the flashworks fine.

My question here is twofold:

a) Can condensation really form within minutes froma temperature differential of say a wet 12 Deg C to a 22 Deg C dry environment;or do I have water ingress?

b) Should I be concerned about potential long termproblems being as the capacitor has got really hot and the flash wouldn’toperate as well as general concern about dampness inside?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

09-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't answer the flash thing, but on condensation: the process happens as soon as you have a difference in temperatures. 10°C is more than enough. And yes, it forms quickly. Here's a test. When out in the cold, breathe on the screen. How long does it take for it to fog up?

I guess some moisture got through the accessory port seals. Not that difficult when dealing with molecules as opposed to drops and splashes.
09-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pfan Quote
1. Do youget a rather “chinky” rattle from the flash housing if you shake the cameragently from side to side or when walking? It stops if you put your finger firmly on the flash housing or if you openthe flash. I’m guessing this is thesmall retaining arms moving when they are left looser in the closed positionand whilst slightly distracting when walking this is harmless?
It could be the SR mechanism you are hearing but again that shouldn't stop when you hold housing firmly.
10-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

I reckon its the flash retaining arms as its the same when the camera is on or off, it comes from that area and is muted by pressing on the flash housing.

Flash seems fine.

10-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pfan Quote
Thanks

I reckon its the flash retaining arms as its the same when the camera is on or off, it comes from that area and is muted by pressing on the flash housing.

Flash seems fine.
I do have that rattling sort of sound coming from the flash housing but I never thought of it as an issue. I think it is just those two shiny arms that limit the upward travel of the flash. They have some free play when they are not under tension. You can see that if you hold the flash half open and touch the arms with a matchstick or something. I don't consider it an issue although it would have been nice if they put a rubber bush or something to prevent them from rattling.
10-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
Many Thanks lister, I concur.
10-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With any camera, when coming from a cold environment into a warm one, keep the camera in the camera bag or sealed plastic bag for two hours so it can slowly reach room temperature. The same applies to lens. Same thing if after walking around and getting into a warm car. Keep the camera in the trunk, or since your dressed for outside anyway, leave the car heater off. If you want to see your pic's quickly, just remove the memory card before coming inside.

11-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Wingin, good advice.