Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
This just happen to my K-x. Always have charged-up batteries in the camera. Even when not used for months it always used to retain the date info. But now it always reverts to 2009-01-01 default when switched on. As it is way past warranty I though I'd take a mini screwdriver and get inside it to see if I can find the internal battery/capacitor.

First I did a drawing of the panels on the camera containing the mini screws holding it together. This is to ensure the right screw go back in the right hole and prevent cross threading. The screws are different lengths and gauges.

I got the bottom panel off with attached battery hatch. Could see electronics compacted together with a few soldered wires etc. No sign of battery/capacitor.They must be deeper inside Avoided the temptation to get in further and carefully reassembled. Oh well maybe just have to live with.it.

Reinserted 4xAAs and switched on. Set date, Returned later and switched on expecting date revert to default 2009. But it retained the new date. Check again this morning Hmmm. So far so good.

But it also fixed a persistent problem with multi point focus. It use to agressively to rack in and out failing to find proper focus. So I set it to spot focus which worked most of the time. Now after the reassembly the multi point focus works like when the camera was new! It quicky finds the correct focus and we're ready to go.

That's one user's experience. It's a risky operation. Do so at your own risk.

Martin