Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #1

Date and time lost without batery

Hi, if i put the batery to charge and left the camera without it for few days, it always looses the date and time.
Is this a characteristic or a problem ?

Its pretty annoying to put date every time you turn on the camera.

09-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What camera?

The date/time is retained in most cameras by either a small button cell or a capacitor, when the main battery is out. Depending on your camera model, if it uses a button cell then maybe that is going bad. AFAIK most Pentax cameras use a capacitor for this purpose. So, most likely you are exceeding the time available for the capacitor to retain the memory.
09-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Its a K-30, bought 2 months ago. I will do some tests, but i think maximum was like 1 week without main battery.
09-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would think it is normal. The Dl I have the max time without a battery is roughly 12 hours. Then the capacitor runs down and I have to reset date and time. So when I recharge the batteries I put a set of old ones in till the others are recharged then swap.

09-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zambuno Quote
i think maximum was like 1 week without main battery.
If you are getting that kind of time then there is no problem, that is functioning as designed. To be honest I was expecting you to say 5 or 6 hours not a week, the capacitor is just supposed to hold the settings while the battery is being charged not forever. Just charge the battery and then put it back in and all will be well.
09-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all, i will learn to live with that (order 2nd battery)
10-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what is in the K-7 for memory back-up. The scary thing is the lack of cycle life at 100% discharge rate. The internal battery will be more or less shot after 50 cycles.TS Lithium Rechargeable Battery | Micro Battery | Seiko Instruments Inc.

10-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There's a lot of luck involved in how long a capacitor will stay charged up in a camera. Anything over a few hours I would call quite normal but that can be annoying if it's 2hrs and your only battery takes 3hrs to charge. It's really annoying if it's nothing at all, like my old otherwise perfect Olympus C750, all of which were fitted with faulty Chinese capacitors that died after a couple of years. I have to plug an AC adapter into this camera before changing batteries to keep settings.
10-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just looked at pictures of main boards of ist ds. ist dl, K 100D, 100D super and K-7. They all have batteries for memory retention.
Curious as to what models use capacitors for the job, anyone have any info on this?.

edit: add the K10D to the list.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-03-2012 at 04:12 PM.
10-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where did you get the pics to look at? I had assumed ( I thought I remembered being told it was a capacitor) that the DL has a capacitor. If it truly is a battery I wonder how long it will last and how to change it when it no longer holds a charge.
10-05-2012, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Where did you get the pics to look at? I had assumed ( I thought I remembered being told it was a capacitor) that the DL has a capacitor. If it truly is a battery I wonder how long it will last and how to change it when it no longer holds a charge.
Pentax Hack Downloads "Older models service manuals". Also I have my old main board from my K7. The battery in K7 will die/not hold a charge, after about 50 complete discharges. TS Lithium Rechargeable Battery | Micro Battery | Seiko Instruments Inc.
edit: image of the battery in the K7.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
10-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K-30 lost time and date as well. I have 2 and the second was sitting in my storage bag without batteries in it for a month or so - so, you're not alone
10-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Pentax Hack Downloads "Older models service manuals". Also I have my old main board from my K7. The battery in K7 will die/not hold a charge, after about 50 complete discharges. TS Lithium Rechargeable Battery | Micro Battery | Seiko Instruments Inc. edit: image of the battery in the K7.
Thanks makes for interesting reading.
A whole lot more complicated inside than most would believe . Now I think I will try to find a broken camera to take apart. I do need to practice my soldering first. I haven't done much of it for the past several years.
10-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
Forum Member

Has anyone been able to find a K-30 service manual yet?

Several google searches have turned up nothing so far.
10-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hoggy Quote
Has anyone been able to find a K-30 service manual yet?

Several google searches have turned up nothing so far.
Don`t hold your breath, it could take a long time for it to show up. The latest thing I have seen is the parts breakdown for the K-7.