Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 04:16 PM - 2 Likes   #1

D600 causes me to buy a K30.

A little background... I've been shooting with Pentax for the past five years (K5 for the past 1.5 years). Before that I used Canon film cameras for a decade, and Minolta for a decade before that... so I'm not afraid to try different brands.

So... yesterday I went into a local (regional chain) store to check out the new Nikon D600. My main interest was to see how small and light they could make a full-frame camera, and to compare the size/weight to my K5. It seemed like a very nice camera, but this one didn't have a battery in it so I really couldn't judge it very well. I figured I would come back some other day when they had one that actually worked.

Then, I saw something I haven't seen in years... a new Pentax SLR for sale in a local store. I asked to see the K30. The not-too-friendly sales-guy probably thought I was crazy wanting to see the K30 after the D600. I played with it for five or ten minutes and really liked it. It is smaller and lighter than my K5 (better for hiking), has excellent live-view (which I appreciate more now after my recent experimenting with a micro 4/3 camera), it felt really nice in my hands, and I know it will have excellent image quality based on the sensor. I really didn't have much interest in the K30 (not enough to buy one) before I walked in the store. However, it seemed like a mini K5 with improved electronics... and I wanted it.

When I got home, I quickly read some reviews to find out if there were any deal-breakers, then ordered a K30 kit. It'll arrive Thursday. So, in closing, I'd like to thank Nikon for releasing the D600.

09-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Curious: in-store price vs online price for K-30?
09-30-2012, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your last paragraph goes a long way to explain why so many stores are reluctant to carry Pentax, even if there is interest.

I'm not judging you by the way. I would have done the same thing.
09-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

When we bought our K-30, we actually had it in our mind to support the local brick and mortar store...and we are even prepared to pay "a little" more....but the differences between the online prices and the store prices is just too great and the store owner is unable to reconcile the differences...so we ended up buying the camera online via another retailer. Sometimes the local brick and mortar store is just not competitive enough....

09-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
The store charged list price. It was $150 dollars less online. I have purchased many things from this store in the past (ball-heads, bags, and other accessories). But their camera prices are always list-price for the not-so-popular models. Even if they could have gotten within $100 of the online price, I might have purchased it there. I like to buy local... within reason. I was also a little miffed with the service.
09-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I totally understand. It would be stupid to pay an extra $150 simply to support a for-profit camera store. The issue isn't with what you did, it's with what Pentax (USA?) has allowed to happen with their pricing policy.

When I went to buy my D600, I checked everywhere online and the prices were essentially the same as my local camera store so they got my business. In fact I was a little surprised. I was so used to going to B&H, Adorama or eBay for my Pentax lenses and finding prices hundreds of dollars lower than the local stores. I took it for granted that Nikon pricing would be the same.

Anyway, back on topic, the K30 looks to be a fantastic camera. I handled it for a few minutes and I immediately found the appeal. It's still a front-runner for my next Pentax camera.
09-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny, I tried out the Nikon D600 at a local store along with the 24-85 VR kit lens and the AF-S 50mm f1.8G and I am ready to sell my entire K5 kit. The OVF, the size/weight, the auto focus, all positive points for the D600. Build quality sucks compared to Pentax though, especially the 50mm lens, but I am ready to pick one up if Pentax doesn't announce a ff by April. YMMV

09-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Your last paragraph goes a long way to explain why so many stores are reluctant to carry Pentax, even if there is interest.
It's funny, but I initially read your post to mean:

'lots of camera stores are reluctant to carry Pentax because they know it will steal sales away from higher margin cameras from other brands'

not

'local camera stores are reluctant to carry Pentax because too many people are just likely to handle the camera in-store but buy online'.

I think both statements are probably accurate

However the second statement really applies to lots of brands, not just Pentax. I'm sure Canon and Nikon users do the same thing.
09-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #9

Original Poster
Franky, you mentioned the OVF and that brings up another point I noticed about the D600 (and maybe all FF DSLRs). I was expecting the viewfinder in the D600 to be more like my film cameras (I love looking through those old viewfinders), but it seemed much smaller. Larger than the K5, yes, but nothing like the old Minolta or Canon film cameras. That took a little wind out of my full-frame sails. It may be a magnification issue, but I haven't looked into it yet. At some point I'll go full-frame, and the D600 seems like the best way to go right now (for me). Since the D600 wouldn't be going on the trail with me anyways, I'm still trying to keep things small for now.
09-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
I am ready to pick one up if Pentax doesn't announce a ff by April.
in that case, you might as well get one now
09-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
Franky, you mentioned the OVF and that brings up another point I noticed about the D600 (and maybe all FF DSLRs). I was expecting the viewfinder in the D600 to be more like my film cameras (I love looking through those old viewfinders), but it seemed much smaller. Larger than the K5, yes, but nothing like the old Minolta or Canon film cameras. That took a little wind out of my full-frame sails. It may be a magnification issue, but I haven't looked into it yet.
The D600 has 100% coverage but it's only .7x magnification.
09-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One viewfinder that strikes me as a lot like the old full-frame 35mm SLR viewfinders is, ironically, not an OVF at all... but the EVF in Sony's A77, A65 and, most likely, A99 SLT cameras. Big, bright and clear with the added bonus of electronic information if you want it. I don't have a Sony SLT but that's an EVF I could live with quite happily.
09-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The D600 has 100% coverage but it's only .7x magnification.
I have to agree on the OVF. Definitely no 'Wow' on that front. Better than the K5 but not as good as the Canon 5DMKII. As for EVF, I've never seen one, but the Sony A900 has an OVF that is huge. My K5 only disappoints on auto focus, and manual focus on it just isn't a great option for me. Hopefully the new K5 II's auto focus is worth staying Pentax.
09-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nikon nifty 50 build quality

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Funny, I tried out the Nikon D600 at a local store along with the 24-85 VR kit lens and the AF-S 50mm f1.8G and I am ready to sell my entire K5 kit. The OVF, the size/weight, the auto focus, all positive points for the D600. Build quality sucks compared to Pentax though, especially the 50mm lens, but I am ready to pick one up if Pentax doesn't announce a ff by April. YMMV
I left Pentax last year for a Nikon D700. Loved the image quality, but the build quality of their lenses was depressing coming from the Pentax primes and limited primes. The D700 was a well built camera. I read somewhere that the D600 is closer in build quality to the D7000, which if true, would be a real disappointment. I am so glad to be back in the land of quality build cameras and lenses. The K-5 and the limiteds are a pleasure to use.
09-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
I was expecting the viewfinder in the D600 to be more like my film cameras (I love looking through those old viewfinders), but it seemed much smaller.
This is good for Pentax to know. If they want to differentiate in the FF market, they could make one with a better OVF and smaller camera size.