Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #1

What's with K-30 Pricing?

Right now it's next to impossible to find a K-30 body only from reputable outlets, at least at prices much under what K-5's are going for. Most are throwing in the 18-55mm AL lens but really, how much does that lens go for separately, $40 or $50? Besides, I've got a battery of other lenses.

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong - it's not that the K-30 is pricey, rather the K-5's price point is attractive? I was dead set on getting the K-30 body for around $650 but seeing that's not possible it's back to seriously looking at the K-5. Comments?

10-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Ari
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seriously look at the K5. It's a tremendous body.
10-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I agree look at the K-5 not the new one's
10-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It's supply and demand. The K-30 was down around $675 a lot of places but it appears to be selling quite well and so the price has risen from ADs to the $725 level. You can get it from non-ADs for $670 or so. The K-5 is at the end of its production life and the pricing for it reflects that fact.

10-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
It also depends as to how far one really wants to get into "almost having to" edit/manipulate the image with a program such as Photoshop.

Personally IF I didn't have a K-5 already... I would wait to see what the two new version of the K-5 would be like. Also on a personal level though - I will be an early adopter and get the non-filter version of the new K-5 - editing has never been much of an issue for me.

Plus there's is one major consideration that most have missed so far: video with the existing K-5. Are all of the K-5 effected by the sensor burn problem? Even if it would only effect half of them, that would also make the newer versions of the K-5 worth waiting for.
10-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
The new K-5 II's are going to start at over $1,200 right? Yes, in time it will drop but currently that's a big jump.

If the K-30's continue to sell well there's no reason why Pentax (or retailers) will lower the K-30 price any time soon, especially with the price differential when the II's come out. Just placed an order for the K-5. Video is of no concern to me.
10-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter

If someone offered me a K-30 new in exchange for my one year old K-5 ... I'd say no thank you. Yes, it's at the end of its "Phase I" life cycle (... eying the K-5 IIs just a bit), but that's fine for me and my current photo needs.

A few things one cannot do with a K-30, read the top LCD because there isn't one ( a deal breaker for me), add a grip, etc. ... thus, in my mind the K-5 remains the "flagship" body despite its Phase II age and expanded life-cycle.

Face it, the K-5 is a great body that now is a "cash cow" for Pentax ... I would not be surprised to see a Phase III with newer, larger sensor, etc.
10-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved to the K-30 section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #9

Hi, I'm facing the same question.
The K-5 is currently offered with cashback, meaning that I can get it for 1000USD in set with WR lens. The same kit with K-30 is for 900USD. Is the K-5 worth for a newbie with small experience? I plan to shot landscapes and my daughter, better lenses for that purpose are on list. I do not plan to use it for video.
Thank you very much for your opinion
10-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan_M Quote
Hi, I'm facing the same question.
The K-5 is currently offered with cashback, meaning that I can get it for 1000USD in set with WR lens. The same kit with K-30 is for 900USD. Is the K-5 worth for a newbie with small experience? I plan to shot landscapes and my daughter, better lenses for that purpose are on list. I do not plan to use it for video.
Thank you very much for your opinion
There's no doubt that the K-5 is a camera that leaves a new user plenty of room to grow into. The K30, on the other hand, while being a simpler camera than the K-5, isn't "dumbed down" to the level of a lot of other manufacturers' entry-level DSLRs. The K30 is also said to have faster AF, which may be more useful for taking photos of fast-moving children.

It's an interesting choice. I have a two year old K-5, which is a well-built, nice to use and nice to hold camera, and, if the K30 features such as faster AF or focus peaking are of no use, then I doubt you would regret buying a K-5. Having said that, the K30 is still a very good camera, but I can't speak with any authority as a user.