Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #1

How's the K-30's optical preview mechanism?

Hi, as the title above, when we do an optical preview or stop down metering with the K-30, does only the aperture close and open like the K-5, or does the mirror flips as well like the the K-r? In other words, if it's like the K-5, the stop down mechanism is a function of it's own while in the K-r, it's linked to the mirror sequence, so when the aperture stops down, the mirror flips to complete the sequence.

What have you owners observed?

Regards

10-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It's like the K-r, but not so rough.
10-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
or does the mirror flips as well like the the K-r?
The K-r can do both and so can the K-30. In other words there are two modes:

One mode is called Optical preview. This one works just as with film SLRs. You are looking through the optical viewfinder, you press the RAW/FX button, the aperture stops down and you see the dimmer image through the viewfinder. The mirror does not move at all at any time. For this mode you program the RAW/FX button as "Optical Preview"

In Live View it works quite similarly except that for some strange reason the mirror does flip down for the merest fraction of a second and then promptly gets back out of the way and you see the stopped down image on the live view. The live view freezes for a fraction of a second while the mirror is doing its thing so you don't see the image being obscured when the mirror temporarily obstructs the sensor.

I guess the mechanism is such that with the mirror down the stop down lever can act independently but with the mirror up the stop down lever cannot actuate. That may also explain why in live view the mirror always flips down momentarily when you shoot a photo even though it shouldn't need to. On the K-r there is a good reason for the mirror flipping but that is to allow phase detect focus even in live view a function that sadly has removed from the K-30 (although I remain hopeful that they may introduce it in a firmware update)

If you set the RAW/FX button to "Digital Preview" it works quite diffrently. This time, whether you are in live view or using the optical viewfinder all it does is just shoot a photo without activating autofocus and it does not store the picture. In other words you see a still preview which of course is stopped down, which is no different from what you would have got if you pressed the shutter button. Many people seem to consider this useless but I find it very useful in particular when I am trying to focus manually on a difficult subject or trying to get lighting right with multiple light sources. It is true you could just shoot the photos and delete afterwards but I still find it ver convenient that the trial and error pictures are not saved.
10-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes, digital preview is an extremely convenient feature not found in other dslrs. This feature saves my memory card from countless "test shots".

So we can conclude that the K-30 shutter is more like the K-r than the k-5. I was hoping the aperture lever was independent of the mirror mechanism like the K-5. It's just a little annoying to have the mirror slap after doing a stop down operation. No big issue though.

10-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
It's the same aperture lever and mirror mechanism like the K-r. But more quite and not so rugh - the mirror flops a little bit at the end of the procedure .