Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #1

K-30 UHS-I Compatibility?

Does anyone know if K-30 benefit from UHS Card

10-03-2012, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The specifications in the User's Guide do not mention UHS so I'd take that to mean that the K-30 won't benefit from UHS cards.
10-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
Does that mean my uhs-i card is worst than using a class 10 card? and thx for reply
10-04-2012, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

I really doubt it would be worse, but maybe someone else knows for sure. I would think it just wouldn't use the extra speed.

I've been wondering this for a while too now.. I have 2 UHS-I cards (Sandisk 45MB/s, 16 & 32GB), but it's hard for me to tell if it's any faster than my non UHS-I cards because I haven't done all that many tests. I'm mainly using a really old 1-GB card for some test shooting lately - just to use it up since It's been sitting unused since I found it on sale for an older MP3 player (I don't listen to much music :-). I have 2 8GB UHS-I cards from Lexar arriving that are rated at ~60MB/s, so I'll have to test that out more.

I thought I read a while ago that someone was saying that the K-30 DOES take advantage of the extra speed when I was Googling about it - or at least is a tad faster... So, I don't know... I've also read that if not, at least a card reader will be able to transfer faster from the card with it.

10-04-2012, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-30 can use SDXC I. The I symbol means: This symbol indicates a UHS bus, capable of transferring data at up to 104 MB/s.

From the Intregal web site
CARDS - What is UHS-1 ?

"UHS-1" or more accurately "UHS-I" stands for "Ultra High Speed" - 1 and is a speed class for SDHC and SXDC memory cards.

UHS-I is the fastest category of card available today with a bus interface speed of up to 104 MB/s.

An SDHC UHS-I card will work in any SDHC compatible device at lower speeds, but to take advantage of the UHS-I speed, a UHS-I compatible device is essential.

An SDXC UHS-I card will work in any SDXC compatible device at lower speeds, but to take advantage of the UHS-I speed, a UHS-I compatible device is essential.

UHS-I compatible cards and devices are normally marked with the symbol below ,"UHS-I" or "I"

A speed class is also defined.

= Class 1 ."UHS Class 1" Class 2 maybe available in the future

UHS-II is also on the roadmap for the future with bus speeds upto 312MB/s

This is the SDHC UHS-I Class 1 logo.

From what I have read, and I haven't read a lot, you won't notice a difference except for recording HD video.
10-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Forum Member

My tests confirm what Ramsey stated..

My two Lexar 8GB UHS-I 400x (~60MB/s) cards arrived today. ($20 at Adorama for 2)
So I did tests with my really old 1GB (unknown class) card, my class 10 16GB Transcend, and my Sandisk 16GB UHS-I (45MB/s), and of course the Lexar 8GB UHS-I 60MB/s card..

I save in RAW+ (RAW + JPG for any newbies).. The save times became faster and faster as I progressed through the cards - going back and forth between the cards to make sure. From ~3-4sec to under ~1-2sec.

At this point, I have no doubt that the K-30 can take advantage of UHS-I speeds.
(Now I just wish I would have splurged for the fastest UHS-I cards within reasonable prices... Oh well.. Whenever I get more cards I'll know. The prices will likely come down by then - as usual.)

MAN!!! I just LOVE my K-30 more and more!!!!
(& I'm glad I didn't get the old K-5! I'll save that money for something after the K-5 II.)