Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

k30 problem

Today I was at yellowstone national park, and noticing some serious something or other on my photos. realizing I was getting it with other lenses too, I figure it must be something on the sensor. So in attempt to raise the mirror and clean the sensor (basic dust removal was not working), it tells me repeatedly that I do not have enough battery power to do this. Even with a fully charged battery. Anyone else have this issue?

10-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you reset the camera?

Reset means taking off the battery, re-insert it (fully charged) and then reset all the camera settings.

This works in some cases. Hope that it will for you...
10-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jennverr Quote
attempt to raise the mirror and clean the sensor

Cleaning the sensor in the field is probably not a good idea. More crud is likely to fly in than you clean out.

Generally tip-top battery state is required for sensor cleaning. The fact that you couldn't even get the dust reduction function to run says to me that your battery may not be as fully charged as you think.

Is it a genuine Pentax lithium battery? Or are you using AA's?
10-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Cleaning the sensor in the field is probably not a good idea. More crud is likely to fly in than you clean out.

Generally tip-top battery state is required for sensor cleaning. The fact that you couldn't even get the dust reduction function to run says to me that your battery may not be as fully charged as you think.

Is it a genuine Pentax lithium battery? Or are you using AA's?
Sorry what I meant was the dust reduction function was not getting anything off. it was actually running, just not being effective. I am using wasabi brand batteries. haven't had an issue before... although i was using the car charger to charge the battery rather than the wall charger. going to try charging it on the wall and see if it works any better today.

10-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I am using wasabi brand batteries. haven't had an issue before..
Not sure whether the batteries you mention are AA or the lithium pack. If they are AA batteries then it is normal for it to tell you there is not enough battery power to lift the mirror.

I think the issue is that with AA batteries the camera is not able to get a reliable estimate of remaining battery power so it will risk running out of juice while you are cleaning the mirror. That said, for some reason it has occasionally worked for me with AA batteries but probably that is actuially when it is not working as designed.

Try again with the genuine Pentax battery and I think you shouldn't have any problem.

If you do not have one try going to the setup and find the setting 'AA battery type'. Try changing it from auto to NiMh or one of the other settings. It might work but do keep in mind that if it does work you are 'tricking' the camera to make it think the battery is fine and you might end up with the mirror closing on you if the batteries really aren't up to it.
10-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry what I meant was the dust reduction function was not getting anything off. it was actually running, just not being effective. I am using wasabi brand batteries. haven't had an issue before... although i was using the car charger to charge the battery rather than the wall charger. going to try charging it on the wall and see if it works any better today.
The dust reduction function will not get everything off. If moisture got on the sensor dust will stick and dry, at that point it needs cleaned. Also possible to get a hair or piece of fuzz hanging in front of the sensor, that one happened to me once. Problem is you are at Yellowstone and probaly don't have a sensor cleaning kit with you. And chances are probably slim to find a camera shop that could clean it, but that's what you probably need. Just in case check out this thread - it's something you could do. Whatever it is good luck, hope it doesn't ruin a vacation.