Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #1

K-30 sd-card compartment door defect

I just uploaded a
of defect of my k-30. This defect was from the start, but it takes time to discover how to recreate it. Can you test your k-30 on this subject?

10-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Dodgy microswitch. I doubt it's anything more than bad luck on this one unit unless there's a batch problem. It happens with switches. I feel sorry for manufacturers like Pentax who have to buy in components as it's Pentax who get the bad publicity when a component fails, not the component suppliers. A single drip of switch cleaner may be able to work its way inside and fix it though, but that's your call; I wouldn't do it if there's any chance of fluid getting further inside the camera.
10-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had a similar problem but it was the sd card that was faulty and not the camera. It was quite an old 1GB card.

Opening and closing the door resets communication with the card (even when the camera is switched off) so it may well have nothing to do with the door or switch not making proper contact but instead the SD card that is messed up and needs a reset.

Before doing anything to the camera try different SD cards.
10-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Even wo card i have a same experiense.

10-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Forum Member

I'm with Steve - It's probably a bad microswitch in the card door. I tried pushing on the card door on mine and nothing happened.

Of course, you could try a different card, but most likely it must be that switch since it does that without a card in there.

The good news is that there's a standard 1-year warranty on it, but you can get a 2-year extension (total 3-years) for $25 from Adorama. To me it was a no brainer. Plus, you get 1 free checkup/cleaning.