Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #1

K30 Grip vs K5 Grip

Well, I sold my K5. One of the primary reasons was that I found the grip to be very uncomfortable no matter how I held it. This of course made shooting with this otherwise great camera quite unpleasant. My hands are average or a bit larger than average. Anyhow, my question is if and how does the K30 grip compare to the K5? I am without a camera now and despite the many models on the market, I'm thinking about a K30 or Sony a57 or a65. If the K30 grip is basically the same as the K5, then it may not be the right move for me.

10-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The k30 grip is nicer IMHO - bit taller, and a deeper space to hook your fingers (or at least feels deeper).
10-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO the K-30 is easier to hold than a K-5 w/o the battery grip, but the opposite becomes true once you attach the BG.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

i love the grip on the K-30 , I have large hands and i find it very comfortable. I agree with ihasa's reply deeper for sure.

10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Funny, I hated the K30 grip. Too narrow and deep. Much prefer a more rounded grip as the K5. Th k30 made me feel like I should extend my pinky all dainty like as it was like holding a small cup of tea.

But if you disliked the K5 grip, there is a good chance you'll like the k30, they are far different.

My advice is try before you buy if at all possible.
10-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
CMG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Funny, I hated the K30 grip. Too narrow and deep. Much prefer a more rounded grip as the K5. Th k30 made me feel like I should extend my pinky all dainty like as it was like holding a small cup of tea.

But if you disliked the K5 grip, there is a good chance you'll like the k30, they are far different.

My advice is try before you buy if at all possible.
Thanks! Can you please describe the changes to the K30 grip vs K5 grip in terms of contour? One of the problems I had with the K5 grip was that, to me, it was quite square and lacked all around contour front, side and back. I found myself having to contort my hand to access controls and after a half hour of that it was just too uncomfortable to shoot. Thanks!
11-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
Thanks! Can you please describe the changes to the K30 grip vs K5 grip in terms of contour? One of the problems I had with the K5 grip was that, to me, it was quite square and lacked all around contour front, side and back. I found myself having to contort my hand to access controls and after a half hour of that it was just too uncomfortable to shoot. Thanks!

I agree with RyanW, the grip is to "deep" and to narrow. I have a ist DL which I love, and the K-5 is much closer to that grip than K-30.
I should also add that I have quite big hands.
11-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the K-30 grip is just about perfect for my medium size hands. Once you are knocking on a bit you notice little things that make joints ache, my K100D used to really hurt one finger joint after a while, the K-30 doesn't as it comfortably spreads its weight across many finger joints. Having said that, the ergonomics aren't perfect, I would like the 4-way switch left a bit and the play button up slightly and to have a more raised profile so I can feel it unsighted more easily. You get used to anything though as long as it doesn't hurt!

11-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K30 grip is better to my hands, and it feels securer than K5's grip especially with a slightly bigger lens mounted. The contour of the grip, the rubber material (feels stickier) used for the grip, and the prominent grip at the back of the camera all help to achieve this.

Of course that's just for me.
11-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I think the K5/K7 grip is better than the K30.
The grip of K30 is too narrow, but I have no problem of holding it with only 1 hand.
The K7, which I sold, is easier to hold with only 1 hand.