Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

K-30 imho

I was one of the first to order the Costco package.

I rate myself a serious amatuer.

I shoot in RAW exclusively.

My favorite subjects in no particular order are birds and other wildlife, flowers, churches, and landscapes.

Lenses include Sigma 100-400, Tamron 70-300, Pentax 50 prime, 12-24, and 18-55 kit.

I got it in time to take on a Canada-New Englandl-Bermuda cruise. On previous cruises, I left interior shots to my wife w/her Canon P&S. Reason being, I do not like flash and the lenses on the K-20 left a shadow in the image from the the flash. Now w/usable ISO up to 8,000, I just shoot away. Dark solid surfaces do show noise above 4,000, but the lumenence slider in lightroom takes it right out. I took about 1,000 pics in four port days. I have taken about 300 pictures of our church and church activities for our new church website and about 4,000 pictures of my grandson's youth league football games.

At the games I shoot every play from start to finish. The parents and friends of the team love the pictures. The coaches use the pics to point out to the players what they are doing right and wrong. Some of my shots have been used to foul a protest against one team which refused to play by the rules and has gotten away with it so far. This year, I have sideline priviledges as the team photog and I get a free lunch from the concession stand. I have tried the sigma from a tripod and a monopod, the tamron hand held and the sigma hand held. Now I use the sigma hand held exclusively. For the game I just use the sports mode.

Bottom line.

Image quality out of the camera is way better than my K-20.

Noise is no longer an issue for me. Not with this camera.

Battery life is probably not as good as that of the K-20, but I took 1,100 pics of the game Saturday and the battery icon is just beginning to fade and it will fade quickly at this point..

Auto focus. I have bad eyes and am totally dependant on autofocus. I find it to be fast and accurate on the K-30, especially with the big sigma lens and the prime 50. As a pleasant surprise, the tamron lens which drove me nuts on the 1*st D, K-10 and K-20 w/constant hunting for focus has only gone hunting once on the K-30. Its like having a new lens.

Controls and display. I do not miss the top LCD. I read the user manual once and have felt totally in control of the camera ever since. I love the level indicator in the view finder which is stunningly clear.

It has survived on drop and a couple of bumps.

The camera is a near perfect fit for me. I even like the kit lens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/singinman1/

Last edited by Singinman; 10-10-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: photo link
10-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The high ISO on the k-30 and k-5, along with the IBIS, allows for a lot more freedom in shooting than many other cameras of the same class.
10-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you like it! I never used auto ISO with my K-r, but now I just leave it on almost all the time. I don't even think about it. I have it capped at 4000 ISO. It's so freeing to not have to worry about that! It's a great camera that I appreciate more and more each time I use it.
10-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Singinman Quote
and I get a free lunch from the concession stand.
Lucky you, I have to pay couple bucks for a hot-dog or slice of pizza.
edit: not that I mind, goes for a good cause, I think.

10-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Was comparing hi-iso against the 5DmkIII the other day as a friend bought one. To my eyes the K30 (and I'm sure the K5 also, but didn't check as I don't have one) came out spectacularly well given the relative cost difference.

Really made me question the value of FF for what I need to do (I was in the mindset of assuming it was better!)

Now if only I could get a fast focusing HSM/USM/SDM 35mm f1.4...

10-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
menu

another thing I like. The menu remembers where you were the last time you used it. I never have to hunt for the format command.

What is your favorite like about the K-30?
10-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
Was comparing hi-iso against the 5DmkIII the other day as a friend bought one. To my eyes the K30 (and I'm sure the K5 also, but didn't check as I don't have one) came out spectacularly well given the relative cost difference.

Really made me question the value of FF for what I need to do (I was in the mindset of assuming it was better!)

Now if only I could get a fast focusing HSM/USM/SDM 35mm f1.4...

The 5D Mk3 is a little bit of a bad example with regards to RAW noise. It's supposed to have a stop better on the k-5/k-30, but many users are saying that it looks similar. The Nikon D600 and D800 are definitely better, noise-wise, than the k-5/k-30, especially when scaled to similar image sizes.

However, I personally think that the k-5's high ISO is good enough for me.
10-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep, especially considering the price differential!

10-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Singinman Quote
Image quality out of the camera is way better than my K-20.
Its like having a new lens.

Controls and display. I do not miss the top LCD. I read the user manual once and have felt totally in control of the camera ever since. I love the level indicator in the view finder which is stunningly clear.
Very interesting that my experience coming from a K20D is so similar, I thought the K20D image quality was great, but the K-30 is much improved. I never really had a noise problem with the K20D, but I rarely shot above ISO 400, now that barrier is shattered. I was nervous that I'd miss that top LCD, and I don't at all, in fact I'm no longer frustrated by not being able to read the top LCD in low light. I also find that level indicator a very usuable feature. And I love the focus peaking when I use a tripod. The only thing I miss is a rear sensor for wireless remote, not a biggie.
10-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The only thing I miss is a rear sensor for wireless remote, not a biggie.
I come from a K-r which also has that problem. However the K-30 lets you use a wired remote as well. I find that unless I'm shooting a picture of myself the wired one is fine. I end up tying the wireless one to the camera anyway so as not to lose it so the wire is not really adding anything