Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

K30 gone dead

Hello everyone, I've enjoyed my new K30, but all of a sudden it has gone dead. I was indoors using the flash when the camera became unresponsive. It has not been dropped or jarred, hasn't been wet. The battery specification is 7.4 volts - I charged it fully and tested it at 8.3 volts - could it be overcharged? When I turn it on the amber light at bottom right flashes - I think this acknowledges the presence of a memory chip? On one occasion the screen came alive for a split second before going blank again. I'll phone the vendor in the morning, but in the meantime if there is a reset procedure or some kind of quick fix I'll be both grateful and relieved.

10-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a long shot but check the mode dial, have you set it to bulb mode or have you set it to bracket exposure with significant "+" exposure comp. Try turning it on and leaving it for a minute or two. This has caught me out before.
Alternatively you could try reinstalling the firmware, like all data it has a possilbility of getting corrupted. But as I said these are long shot guesses.
10-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds like you've already tried taking the battery out for a few minutes. Have you removed the SD card and re-inserted it, or tried a different card? I don't think the camera will power up if the door for the SD card is open.
10-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It sounds like you've already tried taking the battery out for a few minutes. Have you removed the SD card and re-inserted it, or tried a different card? I don't think the camera will power up if the door for the SD card is open.
Agree with THoog, if the SD card you inserted into the camera does not register properly; that is, when you inserted the SD card while the camera is off, the light in the back of the camera should flash green a couple of times, even if the SD card remains open. If this is not happening, then something is wrong with the SD card, and the camera will not turn on. In that case, try a different SD card.

10-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
I took Chaos' suggestion to leave the camera on for a few minutes, and to my surprise and delight it seems to be all back to normal now. I took several flash pictures to try to replicate the situation when it failed, but there was no problem. The firmware is 1.00 for the information of anyone who may run across the same problem.
Many thanks to you both for the suggestions.
10-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tanglewood fan Quote
I took Chaos' suggestion to leave the camera on for a few minutes, and to my surprise and delight it seems to be all back to normal now. I took several flash pictures to try to replicate the situation when it failed, but there was no problem. The firmware is 1.00 for the information of anyone who may run across the same problem.
I'm glad that we have hopefully solved your problem, I still don't know exactly what caused your problem though.
10-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My guess is a slight glitch with the card door -- keep an eye on that.
10-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Hello everyone, I've enjoyed my new K30, but all of a sudden it has gone dead. I was indoors using the flash when the camera became unresponsive. It has not been dropped or jarred, hasn't been wet. The battery specification is 7.4 volts - I charged it fully and tested it at 8.3 volts - could it be overcharged? When I turn it on the amber light at bottom right flashes - I think this acknowledges the presence of a memory chip? On one occasion the screen came alive for a split second before going blank again. I'll phone the vendor in the morning, but in the meantime if there is a reset procedure or some kind of quick fix I'll be both grateful and relieved.
I had this same problem last Saturday. I was inside covering an event using automatic mode and the flash. I had already taken a few shots, had a break as I was listening to the speaker, picked up my camera and ... /gulp ... it wouldn't focus for me, wouldn't do anything at all. Flipped it into a scene mode and it started working again. I nearly flipped out. The camera is okay now, but when that problem happened, my heart almost stopped.

10-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #9

I was looking into getting a flashgun and read that sometimes the camera might lock up for a few minutes after firing the flash in certain conditions.
Can't remember where I saw that but try a search perhaps.

Glad its nothing permament