Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How would you rate the video from the Pentax K-30?

Hello. I've been thinking about the Pentax K-30 since it was announced. I have a Canon T2i with the Sigma 10-20mm, and Sigma 30mm. I already put my gear on sale, and if it sales I'll get a new camera. The reason why I'm selling the Canon is because it has gotten a little heavy with those lenses, but the Pentax is the same weight. :/ The Pentax does perform better at high ISO though and is WR. I've been looking at the videos, but they haven't impressed me. I see a lot with the jello effect, and some videos with artifacts.

Have any of you gotten these artifacts in video?

Here is a URL to the video

It really sucks because the Pentax K-30 seems to have so many good features, and really good IQ.

10-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-30 is the most advanced Pentax DSLR in terms of video. The only thing it's missing is a stereo mic, external mic input, and continuous video AF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have read that it's not actual jello, it's SR at work and is best switched off for video. As for sound, an external mike/recorder (there's a knowledgeable post here about this) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/192843-k-30-audio-option-separate-recorder.html is best anyway and won't cost much more than a decent mike. You can also place it where the sound originates, not at the camera or with long leads trailing. I haven't seen any DSLR videos where AF works convincingly, even the much touted Canons with their fancy new lenses, so MF is still the way to go for nice looking videos, same as the pros use. Old Pentax MF lenses with their nice focus rings should be great for video.
10-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Forum Member

Any DSLR is going to give jello effect. The only way to get around it is with a film camera. It has to do with the way the video is written one line at a time. I tried to write an explanation of how it works but I ended up confusing myself as well lol. If you google it, you'll see plenty of explanation. Anywho, knowing this, when you are using the DSLR, pan slowly and the effect should be minimized.

10-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
I don't use autofocus anyways. Manual looks better.

The sound is not so bad for me. I'm not a pro video maker, it's just that I want good video for my silly videos.

I've been watching Pentax K-30 videos, and the jello effect has been more obvious on the K-30. I have read that it's SR at work though.

Thank you very much for your comments. I appreciate it.

EDIT: What about blue lines on the right in the screen shot?
10-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
D0n
Banned

I would not say the k30 is the most advanced pentax for video... the k-01 is.... and I'm considering buying the k-01... also the jello effect... non issue unless you're shooting sports... all the fast pans that induce that effect would also make the video unwatchable for most situations...
10-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

What I've seen isn't jello though. Jello makes vertical lines lean when panning but the worst effect I've seen with K-30 video is jerking which is understandably from the SR which is optimised for stills and will tend to hold on to a framed subject until it can do so no longer. I'm guessing that this results in a panned video hopping from one section of the pan to another. Perhaps a firmware update can improve on this behaviour. Jello is mostly fixable by the way, VirtualDub has a plugin called Deshaker for reducing it.
10-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #8

At the risk of upsetting the entire Universe - the K30 audio isn't just short on being Mono, and not having a Mic socket to allow that to be compensated - the nil-choice for range, and the audio rate itself, is woeful.

My 2+ year / 3 models, old Fuji HS10 has Stereo audio - at 1536kbps and 48000 Hz.
My Pentax K30 - this year's model - has just Mono audio - 512kbps and 32000 Hz.

And the video bitrates of both cameras are very light-on, too -

The HS10's bitrate at 1920 x 1080 is 21,600, and at 1280 x 720 is 14,200.
The K30's bitrate 1920 x 1080 is 25,800, and at 1280 x 720 bitrate is 15,000.

Where good video - not Pentaprism, WR, classic lenses, etc - is the priority, the Canon 650D has the same in-camera audio as the HS10 above, plus a Mic socket, and the 1920 x 1080 video bitrate is 47,600 - in the sample I have, it's putting about 80% of the vid into the 45,220 - 47,600 range... Only guessing, but to do that it might have the High Sensitivity function turned on. (That's at 29.971fps)

The 1920 x 1080 video bitrate is more than twice that of the HS10, and almost twice that of the K30 (twice would be 51,800 - it's actually doing a top of 47,600.)

It's unfortunate that the HS10 and K30 don't have the option to record video in Std Compliant MPEG4 - which is rather more forgiving of lower bitrates than the MPEG4-AVC (H264/MOV) they both actually use.

The HS10, unlike the K30, does have continuous focusing in video, but it's almost unusable in 1920 x 1080, and not very fast in 1280 x 720.

I don't make "big movies" - I do subject or trip storyline hobby vids - done in 1280 x 720 (as with the K30, the HS10's Std HD is better than the Full HD) - which is converted to 720 x 404 (suits PAL Players and TVs) - and after editing this is rendered into std DVD format with audio at 48000 Hz.

Regards, Dave.

10-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies guys. I really appreciate it. I'll really have to think about it.
10-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #10

IMO, the K-30's video is awesome. The sound is alright, but I don't have much against which to compare. With a FA 50mm 1.4 i've gotten some really awesome shorts of my kids.
And yes, I do agree that if you get used to manual focus on video, you'll do much better and the videos will look great. Basically, the camera has to read your and your object's mind in order to get it right. Might as well do it myself.
I've read Canon users state they'd rather use the manual focus to auto focus.
And thanks for the information on the Shake Reduction, I want to go home and try it now...
10-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The shake reduction can be a massive help in some situations - e.g. filming hand held while walking...
10-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You may want to pull your T2i from the market. If you use it with Magic Lantern and the Technicolor Cinestyle picture profile, you can create some amazing results. This setup will also include full control over audio levels, focus peaking during video, and many, many more features.
10-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #13

My view on the issue: i bought the k-30 for it's high iso performance (there is never enough light, except for the cases when there is too much light ... ). The video picture itself of the K-30 is pretty ok for my eyes and i have dreamt of having manual focus in video for a long long time and i enjoy learning how to use it.

With my current understanding of the current design of dslr cameras on the market (lenses and focus points), their autofocus will never be perfect (even look at this canon example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgtbdwsBXE4 ), they are all like a bad joke compared to a real 300$ sony video camera. The behavior there is similar to what i experienced on my previous fuji (s100fs point-and-shoot with continuous autofocus for video) - when you fall off a cliff with focus (go over a house corner or your subject ducks or jumps high), the refocusing is a mess, starts to focus in and out to find the focus again and you lose precious time before a good focus is regained, and if you are unlucky, your subject will move again.
Most of the successful canon af demos are done in a well lit room with narrow focus travel needs. Get outdoors and moving with animals or children and wonky things start to happen. Sadly.

Get used to the manual focus, your common dslr will take a while until a proper AF solution will come.
10-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #14

Original Poster
I don't care about auto focus in video. I think manual focused video look so nice!
10-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've posted some screen grabs from a short film I shot over this past weekend in a couple of other threads, but I'll post them here, too, since it's relevant. This short film was shot on the Canon 60D, and all of these shots were taken using either my M50 f1.4 or M85 f1.4, or Samyang 24 f1.4. I was running Magic Lantern in the camera, so the results should pretty similar to what I would have gotten if I had shot the film with a T2i. We did light the scene, so it's not typical of what you would see without lighting. And these screen grabs weren't straight out of the camera -I did do some work in curves, and some sharpening. Here they are:

I'll try to remember to post the film in this thread when it is finished, but that will probably be in a couple months or more.