Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #1

First impressions, K-30 vs K200

I am still working my way through all of the different and unique settings and options with the K-30 but after a first outing, here are some initial impressions (not in any particular order other than how they occurred to me).

- the viewfinder, advertised at almost 100% viewing area is bright enough and clear enough that even
when wearing glasses I am still able to see the information displayed ( I haven't felt the need to use
my O-ME53 eye cup)

- the 3 LCD panel is quite bright and large so that reviewing images and image information is easy to
do

- the advertised weight of the K-30 is 20 grams more than the K200 but with its slightly smaller
dimensions and visual appearance, the K-30 feels much more lighter and the camera fits nicely in my
hands with dials/buttons etc. easy to access

- the increase in ISO on the K-30 is a great improvement over the K200

- there are more Menu settings on the K-30 which allows for greater adjustment of
Record/Settings/Custom features

- with the adapter, being able to use AA batteries is a big plus

- am enjoying the Electronic Level option which is visible in the viewfinder and really helps keeping
the images level

- I thought I might miss the top LCD of the K200 but haven't found it to be an issue with the improved
viewfinder

- the camera came with Silkypix Studio Developer 3.0.0.5 which is an older software version but in
giving it a bit of a go it seems like it might be worth a try as it appears to be much more intuitive and
easier to use than the bundled software that came with the K200

There is still lots for me to go through with the K-30 but so far I am very pleased with my choice. The sample pictures are straight from the camera with no post processing other than resizing. All were taken with the SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR lens.

Regards

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
10-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice images, I have found the same things to be true comi9ng from the K20D.
10-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting, this is very helpful for someone like me who has mostly shot on the K200D.