Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #16

I use both my K-30 and my Samsung EX-1 (same sensor as a Canon S-95) about equally, the Samsung is more inconspicuous and its articulated OLED screen give it some real advantages. IQ is very good up to ISO 400 and 11x14.

The K-30 replaced my K20D: it is lighter, smaller, has better IQ, is easier to use, and works well with my manual lenses- and is WR to boot. Putting a large zoom on it takes away from the size advantage, I personally don't like to carry a big outfit around, I have found that I use my DA* 16-50 and my Tamron 28-200 less and less. The K-30 with the 15mm LTD is a great walk around combination it you like wide angle pictures- smaller than a micro 4/3rd with a zoom.

Both approaches have validity, and a third choice is a cellphone with a good built-in camera. Surprisingly good images can be obtained with the latest generations, and it's always handy.

10-20-2012, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well she sold her Red K-R and the New K-30 arrived last night. She is reading her book today and seeing how much different it is.. She had the Pentax 18-250mm lens and loves it so she deceided to get another Pentax DSLR. We are going to Disney World and the Keys in a couple of weeks so it will get put through the paces.
Thanks again for everyones input.
She ended up paying $709.00

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 10-21-2012 at 10:03 AM.
10-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Well she sold her Red K-R and the New K-30 arrived last night. She is reading her book today and seeing how much different it is.. She had the Pentax 18-250mm lens and loves it so she deceided to get another Pentax DSLR. We are going to Disney World and the Keys in a couple of weeks so it will get put through the paces.
Thanks again for everyones input.
She ended up paying $709.00

tell her congrats , hope you both have fun on your trip
10-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K30 owner checking in.

What drew me in was the weather-sealing at the price. I wanted a camera that could accompany me on my various outdoor activities. I've already lost two cameras to water exposure, one was on a kayaking trip, and the other was due to some drunken beach shenanigans.

Those two cameras were just point and shoots, but they were also both around $300. I told myself that if I was going to get an even more expensive camera, it would have to be water resistant in some form. As far as value is concerned, the K30 is the best in this regard. It doesn't hurt that it rocks in performance too.

It also seems to be quite tough. My friend's cat knocked it off a table today while I was in the shower. Horrified, I picked it up expecting some rattling noises from inside of it due to loose parts. But after playing around with it, it works just fine.

I feel like this camera doesn't get enough love and exposure. This past weekend while I was buying some cheapo lenses on Craigslist, the seller was telling me how he would like to one day buy the new K5. I showed him my K30, and he didn't even know it existed! He's now going to check the reviews on it, and I don't think he'll be disappointed.

Fl_Gulfer, I hope you and the wife have fun with the K30!

10-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
Inactive Account

My DSLR experience has been with Nikon D-you name it bodies, DX and FF. The D7000 was a huge disappointment. The quality control reminded me of 1980s GM products. Quality doesn't matter, loyal customers will return. The Nikons I purchased were overpriced, overhyped, and under featured. The D** and D*** pro and semi pro bodies are monsters to carry, and depend on PP raw captures. The JPG engines are unrefined.

I have to pinch myself when I use my K30 and 18-135mm kit. It is hands down the best value DSLR I have ever owned. Photography is fun again.

I enjoyed the Pentax 67ii and the Pentax 645N in the film days. Value, performance and usability are alive in the Pentax DSLR line. My next body will be another K30.