Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-30 Owners Opinion

I would like to know what you guys think about the camera in general, The wife is debating on a P&S or a K-30.

10-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two completely different animals.

If you're considering a P&S in the price bracket of the K-30 then personally I would much rather the flexibility and power of a DSLR. Then again, it's entirely possible a P&S could have superior video capability to the K-30 and is probably a bit more user friendly. That said the K-30 isn't very difficult to pickup and use, and has features that enables you to grow as a photographer which a P&S likely wouldn't.

I've not regretted my K-30 purchase one bit (moving up from a K20D). It can get costly if you are going to get decent lenses etc - but although panned in some places/reviews the 18-135mm WR bundled lens kit has taken some pretty stunning images that i've seen on flickr etc.

Hope it helps

I haven't taken mine into the rain etc, don't have WR lens but the image quality, now noise ISO ability of the camera + general speed makes for a flexible camera for a lot of situations.

If she prefers looking at a screen to compose the P&S may win out, although the K-30 can do liveview reasonably well it still isn't as quite as good as a dedicated P&S due to the design requiring shutter and mirror flip etc. Personally though, optical view finder is essential.
10-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
If you already have a collection of lenses the K-30 would be the way to go if your wife is familiar using your camera . The K-30 is easy to use in the live view mode so the transition would be easy . The only draw back would be the size and the intended use . Is it going to be a stuff in the purse camera or a bring along hobby camera ? I am very impressed with the K-30 and my point and shoot wife has taken some good photos with live view but a dlsr is still not her cup of tea . That is why I carry it along on vacation or to my sons sporting events . My good freind just purchased a wr Optio 2 and loves it for travel and simplicity . The choice should be up to your wife and how she wants to use it .
10-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I can't help you with the P/S vs K-30 decision. All I can say is I think the K-30 is a fantastic camera. It's been a huge upgrade from my K-r and I haven't regretted for an instant choosing it over the K-5 or any of its newer versions. It's got to be the best value/bang for the buck in a DSLR. I have taken mine out in the rain with no issues at all. In fact, it's kinda fun!

It's a great camera to grow with, but I see no reason a beginner would have any problems using it. I have nothing bad to say about it.

10-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I can get her the K-30 for $724.00 out the door. I was just wondering how good the K-30 was from your previous camera.
10-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't help you or your wife make a decision, but the K-30 pretty much gets rave reviews across the board. But if your wife is more of a P&S-er, you might take a look here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/202285-pentax-x-5-down-258-a.html
10-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Question I asked was "I would like to know what you guys think about the camera (K-30) in general, The wife is debating on a P&S or a K-30." I was not asking about a P&S I was asking about what you all thought about the K-30.

10-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I would like to know what you guys think about the camera in general, The wife is debating on a P&S or a K-30.
In general? I'm very satisfied.
10-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
Forum Member

Yes, in general? Very satisfied. I did over a year's worth of research and wanted to buy the K-5, but then the K-30 was released. After Adam's review, I bought it and it has been everything I hoped for and more.

I can't compare with the K-5, but as far as I'm concerned, everything in this site's review is what I got. It by far outranks all other brands in its price range.

Since you mentioned P&S, then don't be upset that we are mentioning them too. I also own a Canon S95, and it has been hailed as the holy grail of pocketable P&S cameras. Mind me saying pocketable. Fast lens (f/2), image stabilization, decent zoom range. One doesn't have to try too hard to get quite impressive photos, relatively speaking.

However, after I bought the K-30, I've only picked up the S95 maybe once. So yes, I'd advise for the Pentax.
10-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #10

I, too, just moved up from a K20D to a K-30 and concur that it's a great camera. For me, it hits the "sweet spot" — excellent low-light performance, fast focusing, good ergonomics and some more advanced features, but at a decent price. Would I like a K5 IIs? Yes. Would it be overkill? Yes, as far as my finances are concerned. I love my K-30.
10-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked long and hard before buying, and finally decided on the K30 in White. What can I say... I love it!!! I also picked up the 18-55mm WR lens and a Sigma 10-20mm lens at the same time. My camera HAS seen some nasty weather in the form of fast moving squall driven rain, and getting splashed by waves while wading through the surf at the beach. I have the pic's to prove it.
10-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I love my K30, its amazing. I am blown away by this camera. Taking photos is a blast and makes me happy with every snap. The camera can be as simple as you want it to be, with scene modes or leave it in P mode, and it has all the delights of the other dslr settings. I love the focus peaking during live mode. Having the front dial is wonderful too. I love the menu system and all the customizations in the menu system and all the filters and editing in camera features too. Handheld HDR pics,,,,,,totally cool. I love the grip easy to hang on to. The bottom line for the K30 for me , in two words --- Excellent and Impressive
10-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Usually if someone is tossing up b/w a DSLR & a P&S they are worried about the large size of the DSLR but want good IQ.

I would show your wife a picture like this (which will have about identical IQ to a K-30 with kit 18-55 but in a much smaller package), or go to a store and look at the NEX's or micro 4/3's bodies.

Only buy a DSLR if you need good AF-C or long tele options, or maximum flexibility.

Last edited by twitch; 10-17-2012 at 09:36 PM.
10-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #14

Hi, I am a noob user of the K-30, and it is a very powerful tool! It has great low light capabilities and if you have manual lenses, the Live view / Focus Peaking helps a ton with focusing. If you can get the K-30 with lens for 724 I think it is a great deal!
10-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-30 is a fantastic camera, it a humongous leap from the K20D, which was a great leap from my former P&S superzoom. I bought the K-30 with the 18-135 lens, which greatly exceeded my expectations, it's a killer combo. The K-30 is pretty compact for a DSLR, yet sturdy, it autofocuses fast and accurately, has great low light capability, has a nice big and clear LCD, and has great image quality. I love the comfortable grip and intuitive controls and menus. I also have an Olympus fe4020 P&S which is nearly useless to me because the image quality just cannot compare to a DSLR.