Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Upgrading, need help, has anyone tested SDM lens on a K-30 body before?

Hi all:

Need some help here, I am planning to upgrade my camera around Xmas.

I am sure K5II and K5IIs will be out by then, however I still think K-30 give you the best bang for your buck, it's only $683 on Amazon.

It has upgraded focus system, peak focusing and Prime M.

Compare to K5 the 14 bit raw and better build body really doesn't mean much too me. (I don't need this camera to last forever :P )

K5II might have better focus and better image quality, however it's almost doubled the price, K5IIs is even more expensive.

Now, here's my question, has anyone tested a SDM lens on the K30 before?

Can we really feel the improvement or it is really marginal improvement, only look good on paper?

Many thanks

Stan.

10-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you mean SDM compared to non-SDM, or do you mean SDM on K-30 compared to K-5ii?
I think the K-30 is a great mid-level DSLR, is WR, has focus peaking, basically the same sensor as K-5 (fewer bits, but I think I can live with that), all the important functions and shooting modes.. I would go for K-30 myself, because it has focus peaking, which allows the fastest and most accurate focusing of them all - manual
10-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Do you mean SDM compared to non-SDM, or do you mean SDM on K-30 compared to K-5ii?
I think the K-30 is a great mid-level DSLR, is WR, has focus peaking, basically the same sensor as K-5 (fewer bits, but I think I can live with that), all the important functions and shooting modes.. I would go for K-30 myself, because it has focus peaking, which allows the fastest and most accurate focusing of them all - manual
thanks for your post, glad to know I'm not the only one think that way.
based on review, K 30 can improve non SDM lens proformance. I am interested to konw if K30 can improve sdm lens as well?
10-17-2012, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K30 AF with SDM

I have a K30 and compared to the K5 the AF is slightly faster and I would say more accurate. Somehow the AF hunts less on the K30. With SDM though the speed limitation is the SDM motor itself.

Dale

10-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing Dale;

good point about the SDM.
10-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxSX Quote
Hi all: Need some help here, I am planning to upgrade my camera around Xmas. I am sure K5II and K5IIs will be out by then, however I still think K-30 give you the best bang for your buck, it's only $683 on Amazon. It has upgraded focus system, peak focusing and Prime M. Compare to K5 the 14 bit raw and better build body really doesn't mean much too me. (I don't need this camera to last forever :P ) K5II might have better focus and better image quality, however it's almost doubled the price, K5IIs is even more expensive. Now, here's my question, has anyone tested a SDM lens on the K30 before? Can we really feel the improvement or it is really marginal improvement, only look good on paper? Many thanks Stan.
The K-30's PDAF performance is about the same as that of the K-5. I think it's more of a marketing thing than anything...the CDAF on, the other hand, is much better thanks to PRIME M.
See the detailed AF tests posted here: Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Autofocus Tests - PentaxForums.com

The 18-135mm focuses very quickly on the K-30. I think it's one of the few SDM lenses that focuses faster than a screwdrive lens.

Overall, I think the K-30 is a fantastic camera, and yes, I can recommend that you get it over the K-5 if you don't care about the grip or top LCD. When I used the K-30 to shoot photokina, I didn't even notice that the top LCD was gone (it's usually only helpful when shooting on a tripod IMO), and the only thing that pissed me off about the camera was that the LV button and the playback button were laid out in a silly way; you basically need to use your other hand to activate it.

Also, please don't post questions in the news and rumors forum, or else we're going to have to force moderation of all new threads posted here...I've moved your thread to the K-30 forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 18-135mm focuses very quickly on the K-30. I think it's one of the few SDM lenses that focuses faster than a screwdrive lens.
It's not an SDM lens, it's the newer DC type.

10-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think thats splitting hairs a bit, in that most people say USM/HSM/SDM etc all interchangably, and they mean Motor-in-Lens rather than Screwdrive. But you are of course correct.

I've been very happy with how fast focusing my 18-135mm DC lens is - I wish they made a DC lens with a faster aperture (as I won't touch the SDM stuff due to all the stories of repeated failures - I don't see the advantage of SDM over DC to be honest, the DC motor is quiet, fast etc.

I'm happy with the autofocus on my K30 - as you mention, in the price range it performs very well. Sure if I went out and bought a D800/1DmkIII etc maybe they would be marginally better in certain scenarios. I'd also have paid 4x as much.
10-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi guys, thanks for your post.
Just ordered one, can't wait to receive my K30.
Well the reason I want to know SDM's performance is because I have a da1650.
It is not that sharp, however i love the colour out of this lens.
It is a bonus if the focus speed can improve a bit with the new machine.
10-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a DA*55 I've used with my K-30 and I don't see any difference in focusing speed or accuracy with this lens between the K-30 and K-r. I have found some lenses to focus faster and more accurately on the K-30 but not this one. However, it was always a very accurate focusing lens on my K-r, so that's not really a bad thing.

SDM lenses are no speed demons when it comes to autofocus. But generally speaking, they are fast enough and I wouldn't trade the DA*55 for anything.