Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #16

I bought a PNY and lost pictures from my Daddy's 70th bday party. I just got an error message when I turned the camera back on after we were done. I returned it to Tiger Direct and they exchanged it for the same brand since I didn't have my receipt. The new one did the same thing. I just threw it away and decided to stick with SanDisk.

02-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kulminaator Quote
I went around shopping for the SanDisk 16GB 45MB/s Extreme SDHC Card, definitely lower electronic sound noise in silent videos (and faster reading/writing too) ... bye bye kingston, you'll be in a box from now on for some other silly hobby.
Interesting. I've seen a couple of mentions of audio noise that I could never reproduce and it now seems it's because I've only used a Sandisk 16Gb 45Mb/s Extreme card.
02-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I am looking at a 32mb extreme sandisk after reading this. $32 on Amazon is cheap. I'm glad I found this topic, I was this close to grabbing a Kensington since it was cheaper.
02-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The rule of thumb is to use Sandisk SD card if possible. If not, Lexar, then Transcend, even Patriot is more reliable than Kingston. Nothing else.
I've had no problems with both of my eye-fi cards, but I don't know if eye-fi makes those 100% themselves or if they get their stock from someone and then put their parts in.. there is no other branding on the cards. They've got a 16GB model out now, but I've been using the 4GB I bought for my K-M originally.

02-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd paid more for MIJ Toshiba or Panasonic any day over Sandisk given the choice. Kingston RAM are okay, but their flash memory are crap. Won't even touch anything else even if free.
03-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #21

I also had the same problem with the Kingston SCHC 32 gb it wont work in the Pentax K-30 but it will work on the card reader and will work in a Canon Powershot SD 1000. So I'm figureing its a Kingston, Pentax issue.
04-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I just ordered a Dane-Elec 64GB Class 10 SDXC Memory Card.

Hopefully it works on my K-30
04-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mspentax Quote
I bought a PNY and lost pictures from my Daddy's 70th bday party. I just got an error message when I turned the camera back on after we were done. I returned it to Tiger Direct and they exchanged it for the same brand since I didn't have my receipt. The new one did the same thing. I just threw it away and decided to stick with SanDisk.
I got a couple of PNY 16GB Pro Series cards cheap at Costco. When I first tried them I got memory card errors when I tried to shoot immediately after turning on my K30, or when I removed and replaced the card in the camera. Since upgrading to firmware version 1.04 I haven't gotten a single error.

05-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #24

SanDisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 32 GB (OEM, no UHS 1)

While in China, I purchased and started to use this card, which promptly failed on me in both my K20D and K-01. After a certain number of captures (eight or twelve, resp.), the cameras began to report "Cannot display image..." for the subsequent captures. In the first few cases, my laptop showed additional files had been started on the SD card but with unreadable content. The card had been previously formatted in each camera, respectively, with the cameras' firmware fully up to date..
Research of the serial no. showed the card to be an OEM production, packaged in an authorized SanDisk retail pack with a hologram. I returned the card to the retailer for reimbursement.
Because I have never before had any problems with less speedy SanDisk cards, this may merely be a one-off experience. I will now try an Extreme Class 10 SDHC with UHS 1 technology and report my results here later.
Cards which have worked successfully in both camreas include:
SanDisk Ultra and Ultra II SDHC, Class 4, 4 GB
Transcend SDHC Class 10, 4 GB
Samsung SDHC Class 6, 16 GB

Last edited by OldPentaxian; 05-20-2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Highlight camera models, add SDs which have been successfully used in both.
07-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #25

I bought a Samsung SDHC UHS-I 16GB class 10 card and it doesn't work with my Pentax K-30 (firmware version 1.04). It does seem to work in the Pentax K-5, but I don't know how it does on the long term. The K-5 is not mine so i won't find out anytime soon. Just found it peculiar that the card works in one Pentax and not in the other.
03-18-2014, 04:24 AM   #26

samsung 32 gb doesn't work in my K30 - memory card error.
tried it all.
format .. reformat .. reboot .. slot in slowly .. everything.
this was for v1.05
upgrading to 1.06 as i type.
lets hope it runs.
Anyhow i have sworn to never switch from sandisk ever again.
03-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wintergreen Quote
Hi all - I just recently got a 64GB class 10 SDXC card (SD/SDHC/SDXC Flash Cards | Kingston) and it seemed like a good choice for use in my K-30 - however, when I use it it just comes up with a 'Memory Card Error' - I'm not able to format the card from the menus or indeed use the camera at all.

All the specs stated for the K-30 I've seen say that it is compatible with SDXC (Pentax K-30 - Digital SLR - PENTAX Photo) - so, just wondering has anyone else encountered this? And if so - is there a way to get it working?

Thanks all!
I had the same problem with 2 32G cards I bought. I went to SanDisk with same specs. No Problem.
03-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by amrithundal Quote
samsung 32 gb doesn't work in my K30 - memory card error.
tried it all.
format .. reformat .. reboot .. slot in slowly .. everything.
this was for v1.05
upgrading to 1.06 as i type.
lets hope it runs.
Anyhow i have sworn to never switch from sandisk ever again.
so i upgraded to 1.06...and magically...the samsung sdhc 32 gb class 10 worked.
and its fast.
but this sort of inconsistency is undesirable so,,,stick with sandisk i'd say
04-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #29
Forum Member

I had error messages on a 2 pack Lexar Extreme class 10 16 gb cards in my K30. I tried formating several times with same results and ended up throwing them away so I could not use them by mistake. If you are taking a series of shots and not looking at the display you would not know the pics are not being recorded to the card.
I replaced them with a 2 pack of SanDisk Extreme 10 16gb from Costco which are working great.
04-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #30

I have intermittent problems with this on my K-50 with two different 32GB Lexar Pro Class 10 cards.

Both cards occasionally pop up this error, and re-seating the card will fix it 8 out of 10 times. Reseating the card again fixes it the rest of the time.

It's quite frustrating, but I don't have the receipt for the cards anymore and don't want to spend the money on replacing them just now. So - I take a test shot with my camera after turning it on and before taking any shots I care about, just to ensure the card is writing properly.

Firmware updates to the K-50 and reformatting the card in the camera multiple times has not improved the situation at all.