Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Catch focus... Anyone know how it works?

Was trying to get this to work last night; couldn't for the life of me with any success though - despite what focus mode, LV, AFC/AFS etc

Anyone managed it and if so any ideas on how I can get it to work?

10-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #2

I wonder same in my K5...
10-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After making the necessary menu setting changes, the AF / M switch must be set to AF. I have never tried it in LV, just AF-S.
10-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
D0n
Banned

you need an manual focus lens or to tape over the contacts on an af lens... you set it up in the menu system to turn on the feature... then you set the body to auto focus and focus manually... you press and hold the shutter or use a cable release and the camera will not fire until the af sensor locks onto something... meaning your subject moves into focus or you move the camera until something is in focus..

10-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah so I need a manual focus lens not a AF lens with the camera set to M. That's a shame!
10-22-2012, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
After making the necessary menu setting changes, the AF / M switch must be set to AF. I have never tried it in LV, just AF-S.
mattt, does your lens have a switch to put it into manual focus mode? The lens must be set to M and the body must be set to AF-S. Without that, you have to resort to hacking it with tape on the contacts as also mentioned in the thread.
10-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
Ah so I need a manual focus lens not a AF lens with the camera set to M. That's a shame!
Your A 50/1.7 should work, Also, Pentax AF lenses like the DA*300/4 with an AF/MF switch (when MF is selected) should work, too.

Cheers... M
10-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Ok, here is the whole process:
First set your camera to AF.S or AF.A (so.. not AF.C- You may not be able to change this with a certain lens mounted, so make sure you change this ahead of time). Then go to the menu and turn on catch in focus. Now set the camera button near the lens mount to AF (not M - manual). Mount your lens. Set the lens to Manual. Some lenses are always manual (like the old M series) so you don't have to do anything there. Some lenses are never manual, these cannot use CiF (at least to my knowledge). Now you can use CIF.
CiF works in a simple way. The shutter must be pressed. When the camera notices that something is "in focus" (as in, the large center focus point detects something being in-focus) it will take a shot. You can use this by placing the camera and have something enter the focusing zone or you can simply hold the shutter button and focus manually.
You can use it in conjunction with burst mode and the camera will take many photos as long as you hold the shutter button.
Also read this:
The Focus-trapper: Trap focus

And if you are using a manual lens, this can help you in general:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Some lenses with a completely plastic mount with no contacts or without a "manual" switch (DA lenses) or with a narrow lens mount (Russian m42 lenses with non-flanged adapter) will not trigger CiF. You can improvise with those and modify them in some way, though I don't know any details on this.

10-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
mattt, does your lens have a switch to put it into manual focus mode? The lens must be set to M and the body must be set to AF-S. Without that, you have to resort to hacking it with tape on the contacts as also mentioned in the thread.
I only use CIF with manual glass
10-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Ok, here is the whole process:
First set your camera to AF.S or AF.A (so.. not AF.C- You may not be able to change this with a certain lens mounted, so make sure you change this ahead of time). Then go to the menu and turn on catch in focus. Now set the camera button near the lens mount to AF (not M - manual). Mount your lens. Set the lens to Manual. Some lenses are always manual (like the old M series) so you don't have to do anything there. Some lenses are never manual, these cannot use CiF (at least to my knowledge). Now you can use CIF.
CiF works in a simple way. The shutter must be pressed. When the camera notices that something is "in focus" (as in, the large center focus point detects something being in-focus) it will take a shot. You can use this by placing the camera and have something enter the focusing zone or you can simply hold the shutter button and focus manually.
You can use it in conjunction with burst mode and the camera will take many photos as long as you hold the shutter button.
Also read this:
The Focus-trapper: Trap focus

And if you are using a manual lens, this can help you in general:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Some lenses with a completely plastic mount with no contacts or without a "manual" switch (DA lenses) or with a narrow lens mount (Russian m42 lenses with non-flanged adapter) will not trigger CiF. You can improvise with those and modify them in some way, though I don't know any details on this.
Na Horuk, my K-30 manual says AF.A must be disabled for CIF to work.
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Na Horuk, my K-30 manual says AF.A must be disabled for CIF to work.
Really? On the K-r I'm pretty sure AF.A in the info menu has to be enabled (or AF.S), the AF switch on the camera has to be turned on, and the lens has to be manual.
I just tested with my K-r and AF.A works. Maybe its different from camera to camera. The problem with the K-r is that you cannot change AF modes with a manual lens mounted, so if you have the wrong mode, then you have to change lenses to change it.
10-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Once I figured CiF out, it became one of my favorite modes to shoot in with my old manual lenses. If you have lenses that will allow you to use it, I highly recommend figuring the technique out. It works especially well when you have a lens with a razor thing depth of field.
10-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a shame I cannot use it with a normal lens in manual focus mode, for lower light photography / speed etc.