Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Compatible flashguns

Has anyone found a 3rd party flashgun that works in p-TTL with the K-30 yet? I would prefer it if Sigma had something now (doesn't seem so from their website) or at least future plans as it may work alongside my old EF-500 DG Super, but that's not critical, any make would do - and help me decide to open my wallet for a K-30! Pentax's own 540 flash is a bit pricey.

10-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a Metz 58 AF-2 which worked just perfect with my K-r. It does have some issues though with the K-30.

The P-TTL generally works well but does seem to get the exposure totally wrong from time to time. (whereas wIth the K-r it very rarely gets the wrong exposure)

The major issue I have found is that the High speed sync p-ttl does not work at all. I emailed Metz and they told me they are aware of the incompatibilities and will need a firmware upgrade. They did not commit on a date when the firmware upgrade would become available. If you are not in a particular hurry I would suggest you wait a bit for the upgrade as I have found the Metz to perform excellently with my K-r and I have every reason to believe it will work just as well with the K-30 once Metz makes the new firmware available.
10-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #3

I just bought a Metz 52 AF-1 (just released) and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered.

I've contacted Metz and they said the High Speed Sync problem you report (and which was present in the 50 too) is not present in the 52's firmware.
10-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sena Quote
I just bought a Metz 52 AF-1 (just released) and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered.

I've contacted Metz and they said the High Speed Sync problem you report (and which was present in the 50 too) is not present in the 52's firmware.
Interesting. Would love an update on how well it functions on a K-30 when you get your 52 AF-1.

10-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

I should get it next week, around wednesday, and I'm hoping to test it on the following weekend. I'll keep you updated.
11-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #6

Sorry for the delay.

It works great! HSS included.
11-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, duly noted for the future when pockets have recovered a bit as I've got a K-30 now. My Sigma EF-500 DG Super doesn't even fire on the K-30, so ATM I've worked out settings that let me use an old Nissin thyristor auto flash, with the flash sorting out the exposure rather than the camera if you're familiar with old tech. It actually works really well at getting reliably good exposures.
11-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've had a reply from Sigma Service UK after enquiring about the possibility of an update for my EF-500 DG Super. They asked for the serial no. and are contacting Japan. Watch this space.

EDIT:-

Another email from Sigma says they can update it. 5 to cover postage if I have the receipt (I have), 37.99 if not.

Last edited by SteveB; 11-13-2012 at 01:28 PM.
01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sigma U.K. have given up trying to update my EF-500 DG Super, it proved to be not possible. They have assured me the EF-610 DG Super (direct from Sigma) will work with the K-30 and offered me a trade in for that model at a low price to which I have agreed. I'll update here with hard info when I've received it and used it for a bit.
01-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the EF-610 DG Super works but with a few provisos I would say after 30 minutes of trying it out.

P-TTL direct is fine, and the assist light is nice and stripey so at last I can get a focus lock on plain textureless surfaces in the dark - hooray!

Bounce flash works fine but the exposure is a stop high roughly, now where have I seen that mentioned before and not with a Sigma either. It doesn't really bother me in the slightest as it seems consistent and I know when I'll be using bounce and it's really easy and quick to adjust on Sigma flashes.

HSS is firing OK at fast shutter speeds but the exposure is all over the place indoors just testing, depending on aperture, shutter speed and distance. Now, whether this will sort itself out in the only circumstance where I'm ever likely to use it, i.e. in bright sunlight for filling shadows, I can't say as I've not seen the sun for a few weeks, but I know I'll find some way of using HSS when it does return but it looks like it might be trial and error.

The EF-610 will do, but I got it cheap which makes a difference to how fussy I am.
Edit:- Wireless works well, triggered by popup flash..

Edit:- Bright winter sun today. Confirmed HSS doesn't work properly on the K-30, it fires at fast shutter speeds but is totally uncontrolled, firing at a fixed power I would guess. Manual fiddling with aperture and speed might let me use it but cutting its power down with a Stofen helps as I could then use wider apertures without it overexposing. Normal P-TTL mode at 1/180s seemed to work fine at filling in shadows with the lens stopped down somewhat but this probably won't work in the summer.

Last edited by SteveB; 01-27-2013 at 06:18 AM.