Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #31

Just installed on my K-30 and my K-01,,,will see later but I don't think we will see a huge difference.

11-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
at first I do not see any difference in performance, I essentially no opportunity of comparing two images simultaneously on the LCD as the K-r (I think in the second upgrade to the K-r appeared this option), I had problems with Trasnscend SDHC Class 10 on the original firmware on K-30, it seems that the corrected-no more blocks,these are first impressions
unfortunately continues to block the Transcend SDHC Class 10, I do not see any progress, I miss the possibility of comparing two images simultaneously on the LCD
11-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Updated this morning - nothing special I think, maybe AF performance in liveview is a little better in dark conditions. No problems spotted yet. I guess that K30 liveview focus was better in first place on the K30 compared to the K-01 so there is no big improvement for this camera. The short time from releasing the camera to the moment they released this update is not enough maybe for huge results.
11-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
unfortunately continues to block the Transcend SDHC Class 10, I do not see any progress, I miss the possibility of comparing two images simultaneously on the LCD
I also miss the image compare feature. However there is something approximating that, though not half as good.

With the K-30 when viewing a zoomed photo you can flip back and forth between pictures by turning the front dial. So if the photos you want to compare are consecutive then zoom and pan into one of them and then switch back and forth between the two pictures with the front dial. The pan and zoom is preserved between the photos so you don't need to rezoom and pan as you would have had to on the K-r (before it got the compare function).

I use this procedure to get accurate focus in timed exposures, since the image is too dim both for CDAF and PDAF to work, actually I sometimes cannot even see the subject. I take several photos each time adjusting the focus then I go back and review the photos (zoomed to maximum) to find out which one has best focus then I set the focus ring to that position.

As for the Transcend cards it is odd because I have found those to be the ones that work best with the K-30. The ones I use are 32GB class 10 UHS-1.

01-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #35

updating difficulties

If anyone else has trouble updating (as I did) the .exe file needs to be extracted to the SD card before you put the card in the camera. Sure this is pretty obvious to most of you but it fooled me by saying it was self-extracting so I assumed I didn't need to extract it from the .exe.
There's more help here if anyone needs it:
K30 firmware
01-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Molly Quote
If anyone else has trouble updating (as I did) the .exe file needs to be extracted to the SD card before you put the card in the camera. Sure this is pretty obvious to most of you but it fooled me by saying it was self-extracting so I assumed I didn't need to extract it from the .exe.
There's more help here if anyone needs it:
K30 firmware
That's why I always recommend just download the zip (mac version), so you're in control of where it goes I don't know why call it the mac version, anyway.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #37

Photos: Albums
Found it ironic that I needed a full batter to update the firm ware, I understand that the camera turning off during installation might be catastrophic, but the installation took all of about three seconds. As an aside, I had not used to the camera enough before upgrading to know whether there is any improved perfomance. AF is snappy but it always was. Loves my K-30.
01-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by redimp Quote
Found it ironic that I needed a full batter to update the firm ware, I understand that the camera turning off during installation might be catastrophic, but the installation took all of about three seconds. As an aside, I had not used to the camera enough before upgrading to know whether there is any improved perfomance. AF is snappy but it always was. Loves my K-30.
My **guess** is they say "fully charged battery" so that when someone does try to update the firmware with a nearly dead/flat battery and the camera dies in the middle of the update process, they can turn around and say, "we told you so!". Plus with the relatively flat voltage discharge curve of lithium batteries it can be pretty tough to tell how close to dead a partially discharged battery really is.