Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #1

Locked out of interval mode in User mode

When I use either custom User mode (U1 / U2), the option to enter interval shooting mode is grayed out. I looked through the manual and found no reason why this should be the case. The only options that should prevent interval mode from being enabled are (according to p. 123 in the manual), having the camera in [B]ulb mode or having the movie mode selected on the top dial.

This particular user setting is set up for astrophotography (hence the desire for automated interval shooting), and is very minimal with regards to enhancement settings:

- [M]anual mode
- ISO 800 default
- Locked WB at 5000K
- Raw+ capture at 16 MP
- ISO NR off, Long exposure NR off, all distortion/shadow corrections off, shake reduction off
- 2 second self timer (though, changing this to single frame shooting makes no difference)

I can do interval shooting from Manual mode when I need to, but I wish I could just do it from my custom mode so I wouldn't have to make all these changes every time I'm shooting stacks at night. Does anyone know why I can't?

Thanks,
-David

10-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Page 168 of the manual does not list interval shooting as a setting that can be saved in user mode.
10-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
Right. I didn't expect to be able to save the interval settings, nor would I be interested in doing so (there's no way to save them in any other mode).

What I don't get is why interval shooting seems to be completely disabled when in user mode, even though my user mode is based on M mode settings, where interval shooting is available (i.e., I could spend about a minute or two setting up M mode to behave exactly like my U1 setting and interval shooting would be available, so it's a mystery to me why I can't get there in U1).
10-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #4

Your problem is your USER MODE saves files to JPEG +RAW, INTERVAL MODE can't be used in RAW (it can't be saved in RAW which would conflict with your USER MODE settings).
You'll find that information in the highlighted section on page 125 in the operating manual. It's about 2/3rds down in the large highlighted area.

10-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
Your problem is your USER MODE saves files to JPEG +RAW, INTERVAL MODE can't be used in RAW (it can't be saved in RAW which would conflict with your USER MODE settings).
You'll find that information in the highlighted section on page 125 in the operating manual. It's about 2/3rds down in the large highlighted area.
I have just tried interval shooting in Raw+Jpeg and it does work. (It would really suck if it didn't)

I think what is written in page 125 means something different, not that you cannot record RAW when using interval shooting.

What I think it refers to is the ability to retrospectively save a RAW version after shooting in JPEG. To clarify, normally when the camera is set to record only JPEG and you shoot a photo the camera would still actually have also the raw version in its internal memory and it stays there until you shoot another photo or switch off the camera. While the RAW version is still in memory you can press the exposure+/- button and this will save the RAW file from the internal memory onto the SD card, just as would have happened if recording mode was RAW+JPEG.
During interval shooting this is not possible.

I have also tried the user mode and I find the same behaviour as OP reports.
- tried the interval shooting in Manual mode and it worked (recording RAW+JPEG)
- without changing any settings whatsoever I saved the settings to U1
- I turned the dial to U1 and tried to enable interval shooting but it cannot be selected
- I turned back to 'M' without changing anything else and now the interval shooting menu item is again available (and works)
10-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I have just tried interval shooting in Raw+Jpeg and it does work. (It would really suck if it didn't)

I think what is written in page 125 means something different, not that you cannot record RAW when using interval shooting.

What I think it refers to is the ability to retrospectively save a RAW version after shooting in JPEG. To clarify, normally when the camera is set to record only JPEG and you shoot a photo the camera would still actually have also the raw version in its internal memory and it stays there until you shoot another photo or switch off the camera. While the RAW version is still in memory you can press the exposure+/- button and this will save the RAW file from the internal memory onto the SD card, just as would have happened if recording mode was RAW+JPEG.
During interval shooting this is not possible.

I have also tried the user mode and I find the same behaviour as OP reports.
- tried the interval shooting in Manual mode and it worked (recording RAW+JPEG)
- without changing any settings whatsoever I saved the settings to U1
- I turned the dial to U1 and tried to enable interval shooting but it cannot be selected
- I turned back to 'M' without changing anything else and now the interval shooting menu item is again available (and works)
Didn't have the camera to test it.
Thanks, guess I wasn't paying attention.