Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I'll comment on this, since I wrote that review (not Adam), and the claim was mine:

Yes, I still think it's better than the K-5 (overall, all things considered, for the range of possible users, etc etc). And no, Class A, I don't want to reopen that argument.
ah ok, thanks. Yea, initially i was going to save up and get the K5II or K5IIs but now im leaning towards buying the K30 body and spending the money saved on some quality lenses. Im glad i didnt pick up the K5 now that its cheap. A great camera, sure, but the focus peaking, better AF and faster processor are leaning me towards the K30.
I have some manual glass, especially the 50MM F1.4 that would be excellent on the K30. I miss so many shots with my Kx because its out of focus, despite appearing ok in the camera at the time.

10-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
ah ok, thanks. Yea, initially i was going to save up and get the K5II or K5IIs but now im leaning towards buying the K30 body and spending the money saved on some quality lenses. Im glad i didnt pick up the K5 now that its cheap. A great camera, sure, but the focus peaking, better AF and faster processor are leaning me towards the K30.
I own both, and I think both are great cameras, but I have more trust in my K-30 than I do in my K-5. That's really the difference for me.

QuoteQuote:
I have some manual glass, especially the 50MM F1.4 that would be excellent on the K30. I miss so many shots with my Kx because its out of focus, despite appearing ok in the camera at the time.
The K-30's focusing is definitely more reliable than past Pentax dSLRs, in my experience, but there's a good chance that some of your missed shots are user error or a mis-calibrated focusing screen (when shooting manual focus), which can happen to virtually any dSLR. Don't count on a magic bullet.
11-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Hmm....

How would the K30 AF compare against the newer Safox X (or whatever)?
And does the K30 AF sensor detects up to -3EV? I'm just curious here..
11-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
How would the K30 AF compare against the newer Safox X (or whatever)?
And does the K30 AF sensor detects up to -3EV? I'm just curious here..
Low light auto-focus is not up to K-5 II standards, but according to Pentax, the K-30 was designed to be more reliable than the K-5 under coloured lighting:

From the Pentax Ricoh press announcement:
"Newly developed SAFOX IXi+ Autofocus (AF) module for improved autofocus performance
The K-30 features the new state-of-the-art SAFOX IXi+ AF sensor module, which assures responsive, high-precision autofocus operation by incorporating a diffraction lens to minimize chromatic aberration in accordance to the characteristics of each individual lens. A dedicated sensor also factors the light source into its calculations at the time of shooting."

From the introduction of the K-30 review at DPR:
"It (K-30) doesn't come with the K-5 II's Safox X AF-system which allows you to focus in very dark scenes down to -3EV"

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-01-2012 at 09:33 AM.
11-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The k-5II has the same diffraction elements for odd lighting.
11-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The k-5II has the same diffraction elements for odd lighting.
I agree, I did not say otherwise.
11-01-2012, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

326GBP after cashback at SRS! Official UK model!
Pentax K-30 Black Digital SLR Camera Body + Spare Battery - SPECIAL! - Only £369.00 - SRS Microsystems

11-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I agree, I did not say otherwise.
Sorry, didn't realize I was in the wrong thread! Thought this was the k-5II thread.
11-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Ditto that. If I wanted a video camera I would get one. No interest whatever in the video capabilities!
I bought a compact still camera for shooting video. So much better than dedicated video cameras (video quality). And much cheaper too, comparable video cameras would have costed much, much more.

If I wanted a video camera that delivers the quality/look of a DSLR, I'd be spending around $10000. Rather than $800. And I'd still be getting the rolling shutter effect.

There is a reason why TV stations who already have a nice set of professional video cameras have started using DSLRs. THEY ARE BETTER.

There is a reason why big budget TV shows like House MD sometimes shoot with DSLRs (at least one episode was completely shot with some Canon DSLR. Hell, they are even used for cinema productions.

You just can't get the look and the quality with a video camera.

Of course for ease of use a dedicated video camera will be better, so if you have no artistic intentions with your video, don't want to play with the DoF etc. and only use AF then yes, by all means get a video camera.
11-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
wow thats a great deal
11-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
wow thats a great deal
I couldn't resist, that price is absolutelly amazing! Its a shame that I do not live in the UK to claim the casback... I noticed that the cashback is also available in Czech Republic where I live, but the body here sells for 533 pounds minus 40 for the cashback is still much more expensive...

HUGE thanks to bhairavp for posting this deal!!
11-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I paid £950 for mine with 18-135mm! What a deal!
11-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #28
Forum Member

Video has gone from being a novelty to a core feature on DSLRs and Pentax ignore that at their peril.
Any wannabe film-maker or documentary shooter these days is going to be holding a Canon DSLR.

A few quid spent on a stereo mic input jack would have made this camera a Canikon killer IMHO. Many consumer buyers will, I imagine, be turned off by poor video support because it's something they 'might' want to use sometime.
11-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

What DSLRs really need for audio is a radio link to an external mic. I mean, who wants a mic on the camera or leads trailing to one from the camera.

Oh, and I don't see Canon DSLRs as being perfect for video, they're just a bit better than a K-30 but with rather obvious issues still.
11-02-2012, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Of course for ease of use a dedicated video camera will be better, so if you have no artistic intentions with your video, don't want to play with the DoF etc. and only use AF then yes, by all means get a video camera.

But that's just it... I have no intentions, artistic or otherwise, with any video. So the video components of the K30 (and my K-r, for that matter) are just excess baggage to me. Obviously not to some folks, but I agree that separating the still and video aspects in a review and rating makes more sense.