Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
But that's just it... I have no intentions, artistic or otherwise, with any video. So the video components of the K30 (and my K-r, for that matter) are just excess baggage to me. Obviously not to some folks, but I agree that separating the still and video aspects in a review and rating makes more sense.
Thumbs up for you. Videography is a different hobby. I wish it had never strayed into DSLR's. If you want a Pentax for video, get a K-01.

11-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ audiobomber -- thanks. Learning stills is enough challenge!
11-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #33

I find it odd that DPreview gave the K-30 78% while they gave the K-5 83%. Pentaxforums's review said that the "K-30 is simply the best dSLR that Pentax has ever made". Who to trust? Well lets just say I bought the K-30.
11-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rich7333 Quote
I find it odd that DPreview gave the K-30 78% while they gave the K-5 83%. Pentaxforums's review said that the "K-30 is simply the best dSLR that Pentax has ever made". Who to trust? Well lets just say I bought the K-30.
Well, you have to remember that the K5 was released in 2010. That's a long time ago in terms of camera tech and so the K5 was being compared to cameras available at that time.

11-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #35

You are right on that point, but I don't understand why the Sony A57 gets a gold award but not the K-30.
11-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
But that's just it... I have no intentions, artistic or otherwise, with any video. So the video components of the K30 (and my K-r, for that matter) are just excess baggage to me. Obviously not to some folks, but I agree that separating the still and video aspects in a review and rating makes more sense.
I was mostly referring to the "get a video camera damnit" comments. It's simply that for very good looking video you'll have to use a DSLR, or a very, very, VERY expensive video camera. Those that cost as much as cars... sometimes really nice cars. Normal video cameras are just better for consumers who want to hassle free shoot a video while traveling. So the video function of a DSLR is a big deal for many, and reviews need to reflect that.
11-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

They should still separate it. Gold star for photos, bronze for video.

Whereas the A57 should probably get silver for photos, and gold for videos. Something to that aspect. And I sincerely dislike the DPReview mods saying "Don't take the gold award or silver award seriously, just read the list of pros and cons" - people who aren't technical won't look at pros and cons first for an entry level DSLR. They are going to be biased by the gold and silver first, then look at the pros and cons.

11-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
They should still separate it. Gold star for photos, bronze for video.
Absolutely, I agree. If I --or anyone researching cameras with an eye to purchasing -- want or need the video functions, then that's the section of the review/rating I'll look at. While I personally have no interest in the video capabilities, obviously some people do. Reviewers need to separate these functions so readers can make a more informed opinion/decision. "Great for stills, average for video" or somesuch.

But meanwhile I need to learn more about getting the most out of the still cameras I have.
11-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It really annoys me when DPR lists "no dedicated video button" as a Con in DSLR reviews. Buttons are valuable real estate on a body. There are lots of things I'd rather have than video button. What's wrong with putting video on the Mode switch?

They don't mention missing photographic buttons (ISO, metering, AF Select, etc) as Cons. They didn't list two wheels as a Pro in the K-30 review, nor even mention the second wheel in the Conclusion page. That is a disservice to Pentax and potential buyers. The entire tone of the review I found disrespectful of Pentax and the Silver Award seems to be completely subjective to the reviewer. I hope they find someone more objective for the next Pentax review.
11-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It really annoys me when DPR lists "no dedicated video button" as a Con in DSLR reviews. Buttons are valuable real estate on a body. There are lots of things I'd rather have than video button. What's wrong with putting video on the Mode switch?

They don't mention missing photographic buttons (ISO, metering, AF Select, etc) as Cons. They didn't list two wheels as a Pro in the K-30 review, nor even mention the second wheel in the Conclusion page. That is a disservice to Pentax and potential buyers. The entire tone of the review I found disrespectful of Pentax and the Silver Award seems to be completely subjective to the reviewer. I hope they find someone more objective for the next Pentax review.
This is so true. Having a 100 percent penta prism and two control wheels to me leap frogs the K30 over any of the other contenders in terms of usability and ergonomics when it comes to still photography. Having used cameras for quite awhile with two control wheels, I cannot imagine going back to one, or for that matter going back to a pentamirror.
11-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
And I sincerely dislike the DPReview mods saying "Don't take the gold award or silver award seriously, just read the list of pros and cons" - people who aren't technical won't look at pros and cons first for an entry level DSLR.
Exactly. They are just saying that to shut up the "fanboys". The truth is that the type of award influences the market success of a camera. It is ultra lame of them to deny that.

Exactly again. To have the nerve to moan about a "missing" video button but not mention the twin dials at the same time is quite something.
A number of people alerted Lars Rehm to the fact that both "twin dials" and "focus peaking" were not sufficiently credited but he did not even respond. He fixed a number of spelling errors and technical errors that users pointed out to him, so apparently a DPReview page is not carved into stone and then photographed, i.e., it can be changed. Yet, they don't fix the issues with the "twin dials" and "focus peaking" and don't even respond to respective comments.

I cannot help but think that sometimes "no answer" can be more telling than any written response...
11-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #42
Pentaxian

If you want to signal to DPReview that they should fix their K-30 review, you could go to the review comments page and like my post. It apparently makes the post bubble up to the top. Here's what I've written:
It is nice to see that user feedback here has led to many error corrections (thanks Lars).

However, if small typos like "viewo" are fixed, could someone please add "two control dials" to the "Pros" list and mention "focus peaking" somewhere?

Come on, guys, you are reviewers, aren't you?
11-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Well, I do see their point. Especially on my compact camera that I mostly bought for video it annoys me that it doesn't have that button. Sometimes I want to shoot a photo, a wonderful opportunity comes up, and before I have changed to video it is gone. However I do believe a DSLR is more meant for planned shoots, so it is not that much of a problem.

What I don't understand is why Pentax didn't made the buttons more customizable. I have no use for a RAW button since I always shoot RAW anyway. It'd be nice if I can use that one to record a video.

To be honest I do think DPRs review was quite positive. I would have given the K30 a lot more crap for the lack of a proper SR while shooting video and for the crop it applies (I don't think they mentioned it... at least most reviewers didn't). I mean, their SR implementation is so bad, you better shoot video without. Otherwise you'll get horrible output.

They should separate their ratings, I agree. It wouldn't hurt at all, and it would make it clearer for everyone.

Do you guys really think the average consumer is so dumb that he will only look at the color of the award and then pick the camera? Without reading the review? Not even the summary? Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if that's true...
11-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Well, I do see their point. Especially on my compact camera that I mostly bought for video it annoys me that it doesn't have that button. Sometimes I want to shoot a photo, a wonderful opportunity comes up, and before I have changed to video it is gone. However I do believe a DSLR is more meant for planned shoots, so it is not that much of a problem.
Don't mind me saying this, but erm... I thought we can change to video mode with just a twist of the program control at the top?
It's almost similar as trying to get comfortable and "remembering" where a button is, as to turning the knob at the top, right?
11-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Don't mind me saying this, but erm... I thought we can change to video mode with just a twist of the program control at the top?
It's almost similar as trying to get comfortable and "remembering" where a button is, as to turning the knob at the top, right?
He could be referring to the button like on the NEX5N where once you press it, it starts to record. But I don't know if that feature exists on a dslr.