Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

HDR, SR, Timer, and RAW

Hmmm.... I've been experimenting a bit - after finding that Bracketing / AEB, Timer and SR are mutually exclusive in the K30. Trying to find a workaround.

After playing with the in-camera HDR Capture - while you can't actually "do bracketing" to get the 3 images Under/Std/Over - you can get Timer to steady the camera, and get a RAW to adjust later.

With the HDR Capture, I find that AUTO is "fun-only", Level 3 is 'funny-pix', "2" is a bit much - but "1" can be quite usable - particularly if you get a RAW to work on later.

Enable HDR Capture, as shown on Manual Page 149. Then on Page 150 - select the mode, under item "3".

In the first option, if you have Auto-Align checked in the list, it uses that, and if SR is enabled, also uses that. It will now do the 3 images with SR enabled, Auto-Align them, and generate an HDR JPEG.

Or, you can set up as above, go back to screen, then enable the Timer, 2-sec. This will cancel the SR, but give you the option of using the Timer - works well if well braced or using a rest. Again, of course, you get your HDR-Level-1 JPEG.

Now press +/- button - and you can save that JPEG as RAW - and it also retains the HDR-1 JPEG. You can use the JPEG immediately - or use it when processing the RAW to compare your changes with "what the camera thought".

A bit sadly, the K30 can't save TIFF from RAW in the camera, as the Canon 650D does - but there again, the 650D can't save its last JPEG as a RAW from the buffer - which is likely more useful.

But - the ability to convert and save RAW as TIFF in the camera is a big advantage for those not yet experienced with RAW processing, or not wanting to take the time, per image. TIFF isn't as good as RAW for processing - but they are non-lossy, hold a heckuva-lot more info-data than JPEGs, and of course can be edited quickly-directly in Photoshop/Extensions/Gimp, etc.

In Linux, Digikam will Batch-Convert RAW to TIFF (or JPEG/PNG), allowing choice of 8 or 16 bit, adjust WB, Corrections, Colour Manage and Save. I've used this to get a "quick set" from my Fuji HS10's RAF RAW, and have tried it with K30's - it's usable, but the RAWs need to be those captured under relatively similar conditions - or you just end up needing to 'process' TIFF instead of RAW. ( Digikam/ChangeFormat - KDE UserBase Wiki )

But that might suit those who'd rather 'edit-process' TIFFs in an image-editor, quickly, than use the time to properly process RAWs.

Windows will of course have programs that can Batch-Process RAW - but having been out of Windows for years, I don't know any to recommend - others might help with that, please!

No, I wouldn't 'swap' K30's ability to save-last-JPEG as RAW - for the 650D's ability to save RAW to TIFF in the camera - I'd just like that for an "as-well-as" - maybe next Update, pretty-please, Pentax!

Regards, Dave.

10-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not DNG? I find TIFF formats take up too much room with no gain. I even output my DxO in DNG. For ease in looking up images for comparison, I have the K10D set to PEF so when I have all the images together I can pick up the Pentax out of camera or DxO or both with a filter.
10-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Canada_Rockies - I wasn't saying there's anything "wrong" with DNG, as a generic RAW format, there isn't. Probably why Pentax has wisely had it as an option for many years. How many other Brands allow both their proprietary RAW format - AND DNG?

Anyone who's had, say, Fuji cameras that use Fuji's RAF RAW format - that also changes editing parameters 'per camera model' - would be delighted to have DNG as an in-camera option! I waited 5-weeks after buying a Fuji HS10 before UFRAW had the HS10 in its list - though it already had a dozen-plus other Fuji cameras in it. But the update on the free Adobe converter about 10-days after I bought the camera, allowed conversion of HS10-RAF to DNG - which then worked well in Digikam, RawTherapee, so on.

So I don't have a problem with K30 having been changed to DNG-only - though long-experienced Pentaxers, set up for and used to using, PEF for years, might.

And, yes, of course you're right about TIFF being a 'lumpy' - large file-size - format. My point was that many computer users are very used to using several formats - including TIFF as a "non-lossy" to convert JPEGs, to work on them. Like PSD and XCF, TIFF also saves layers - which can be useful if there's a need to work between operating systems. TIFF is usable in Photoshop and Gimp - in both Windows and Linux. (And yes, some of us do also run Photoshop in Linux, though Gimp can now open and convert PSD.)

However, more and more P&S cameras now do RAW - one being the extremely popular Canon S95/S100/S110 series - and more P&S folk are moving up to entry-level or more DSLR, and not all of those are familiar with RAW processing. Most of those people would be familiar with TIFF in their non camera related work.

Also - from other Forums - it's clear that not all want to use the RAW abilities of even their new DSLRs. They say that RAW processing is difficult to learn, is hard to do properly - or just that it takes a lot of time per image. Not everyone finds learning to do RAW processing properly, as "fun and interesting" as I, and a lot of others, do!

So there's a place for cameras - probably applies more at the mid and higher range of P&S, which already has RAW - and the Entry and Lower-Mid range in DSLRs, where the new to DSLR folk are arriving - for the TIFF option.

While TIFF saved in cameras doesn't have the whole range of RAW data, or save that image-data "as the camera saw it, unchanged", the way RAW does, TIFF does save vastly more information than does a JPEG. So it's not only "non-lossy", unlike JPEGs - it can be worked on directly in any graphics program with the same user-skills as they have been used to with non camera sourced TIFFs.

The TIFFs could be downloaded and used immediately at friends' places, at work, on holiday with relatives or friends - anywhere the borrowed PC has a graphics program. And at home by the folk who don't yet know RAW processing - or don't have the time to learn that - or to do so even if they do know.

As for TIFFs being a lumpy-large format - yes, they are - and it would have been a problem in the days of 128MB or even 1GB and 2GB SD-cards. These days, as most don't use cards under 4GB, and now usually larger - it's not much of a problem.

The demand for camera-generated TIFFs does exist - or other Brand Makers wouldn't be putting it in their cameras...

As they do for hand-held AEB - with both IS(SR) and Timer working while doing such.

Regards, Dave.
10-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the explanation, Dave.

10-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Canada_Rockies - You're most welcome! Incidentally - I do like the way in which in your posts you usually describe or explain things clearly in plain words - not 'assuming everyone knows'. Being one who doesn't, often, that's very helpful.

Yes - does seem odd that the Makers - not only Pentax - could put in a lot of software functions that might even exist in their P&S ranges, but are left out of their DSLRs.

Another example - Focus-Bracketing - which I just posted about today. As the K30 already has AEB as a set function - why not write a few more lines of script to put F/B alongside it?

They might even do that - when they re-organise the Menus / Drives - so Bracketing, Timer and SR can be used together. As in both of my Bridge P&Ses - or the 650D...

Regards, Dave.