Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I get the impression from reading on the net that 2x generally is a bit too much magnification for good results. A 1.4x seems more likely to preserve reasonable image quality.
That conclusion is valid and would be supported by anyone in the Lens section of this forum

10-31-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by exwintech Quote
Cfraz / Southlander - From what you folk are describing, the Canon P&S must have an additional function that DSLRs don't...

That is - it's doing it in a different way when using MF. Put the camera in M-Manual Mode, and turn off the AF by selecting MF. And it does Focus-Bracket at that setup. I'm not "misreading" the SX10 Manual - I use it often. It's a Bridge-Zoom - meaning, often you have to put it in Manual Mode to persuade it to do do what YOU want it to do, YOUR way...

But - I'm not insisting that Focus-Bracketing has to be in Manual Mode - and it is apparently "do-able" in DSLRs. Which is why I assumed that the K30 would have the function.

Possibly why others above are also indicating that they'd like the function in Pentax DSLRs....

Or maybe we just need a "hack" (apparently not related to CHDK) like this one a chap has created for Canon DSLRs:

Quote: - "DSLR Bracketeer is a simple program I made for controlling CANON EOS DSLR cameras. It is used for focus bracketing on for your Canon DSLR...." End quote.

Ref: - DSLR Bracketeer by Milos Paripovic

Regards, Dave.
Ah, I see. As southlander pointed out, you are linking manual mode in your bridge camera with manual focus lenses on SLRs. Not the same. Auto vs. manual mode refers to exposure (not focus) parameters.

The distinguishing feature of a manual focus lens is that it has no motor or camera-driven gear train to focus; focus must be done by physically rotating the focus ring on the outside of the lens.

Bridge Camera capability:
1. auto mode with autofocus lens
2. manual mode with autofocus lens

SLR capability:
1. auto mode with autofocus lens
2. manual mode with autofocus lens
3. auto mode with manual focus lens
4. manual mode with manual focus lens

Automated focus bracketing is possible in options 1 and 2. Why Pentax hasn't implemented it, I don't know.
10-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #18

Original Poster
Cfraz - Ahah! That's the explanation I've been needing, thanks. With DSLRs F/B can work with AF lenses, not with all-manual lenses. But - as you and others say - why not add it to the bracketing functions the camera already has?

Southlander - Yes, I think the 2x TC is pushing the friendship a bit much. But, so far, it's the only one I have - so, just playing around with it to see what it does and doesn't do. While the stop-down metering on the Tak 55mm by itself gets surprisingly close - with the 2x TC on - oops, waaay off, overexposing... When the new M42 adapter arrived yesterday, I only had time for a bit of a play - then with the 2x on, a few shots out the front window to the other side of the road.

I was really expecting a blurred mess - but it seems that with more experience, it might not be quite that bad. The image below is the "least awful" of the dozen shots I did. JPEG only - RAW might be more "repairable", though. Early days - but at least it's showing me what's happening.

I'm thinking that a 1.4x or even a 1.7x TC would be "less lost" and so actually more usable - at least for "snaps".

- Yes, all over, like a mad-dog's brekky - that's about the 8th I did with the 2x TC... The last 3 were blown-out only slightly higher than airliner cruise altitude....

There again - c'mon, admit it - you guys needed a laugh....!

Regards, Dave.