Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-30 EXIF/MetaData Offset?

I posted this in another thread (ref: Post #5) but thought it may be more relevant here, since I have interest in the K-30 - I have modified it to be relevant only to the K-30 - but it applies equally to the K01

PhotoME does not properly display the manufacturer's notes in JPG for the K-30 (or K01) -

Pentax K-30 JPG

But can display that information for the paired RAW/DNG
Pentax K-30 DNG

One might think it is perhaps because the K-30 (or K01) is "new".

BUT PhotoME does display the correct Manufacturer's Notes for JPG in the even newer K-5IIS (as well as the K-5II)
Pentax K-5IIS JPG

So...
it might not be PhotoME - even though it is no longer updated/supported -

Could it possibly be an error in the Pentax information? -
it could even be as simple as a "Data Offset" -
which Pentax may be able to correct with a Firmware update?

10-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe I've seen the same issue with exiftool. I keep on having to catch exceptions to prevent JPEG uploads to the forum from failing due to bad EXIF

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I believe I've seen the same issue with exiftool. I keep on having to catch exceptions to prevent JPEG uploads to the forum from failing due to bad EXIF
Hadn't thought of the possible problems of EXIF data being "Offset"

ExifTool seems to be able to show the metadata for both the JPG and DNG in the pair I used -
of course I am not as familiar with ExifTool
and its interface is not as easy for me to understand -
for example I haven't figured out how to save the text of the displayed metadata -
so that I can do a side-by-side comparison to find the differences, if any between the JPG and DNG versions of the same paired pic.

Whereas it is quite clear that PhotoME has a problem with the JPGs (both K-30 and K01)
whereas it seems to do just fine on the RAW/DNG files

Last edited by UnknownVT; 11-02-2012 at 11:35 AM.
10-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd say exiftool is more for programmers- it very easy to extract info from it and funnel it into another program PhotoMe, on the other hand, offers a nice GUI. But then again, so does Adobe Bridge and LR.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

exiftool is updated every few days it seems like. I use it as part of geosetter to add GPS tags and almost every time I run it there is an exiftool update...
10-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd say exiftool is more for programmers- it very easy to extract info from it and funnel it into another program PhotoMe, on the other hand, offers a nice GUI. But then again, so does Adobe Bridge and LR.
I actually use ExifTool in that manner - to reattach EXIF/metadata to JPGs using PhotoME as the prime interface.

Of course right after I posted I found out how to extract the metadata as a text file -
it was simple case of renaming the default executable

exiftool(-k).exe
to
exiftool(-k -a -u -g1 -w txt).exe

the lower named version generates a .txt file of the same name as the photofile -
of course since the paired RAW/DNG+JPG have the same name, the first .txt file needs to be renamed, or moved before the other extracted .txt can be generated.

More importantly do you think there is an error or incompatibility of the JPG EXIF/metadata for the Pentax K-30 and K01?

Last edited by UnknownVT; 10-31-2012 at 01:30 PM.
10-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
More importantly do you think there is an error or incompatibility of the JPG EXIF/metadata for the Pentax K-30 and K01?
I can't offer any insight into this, unfortunately- all I know is that sometimes, our system runs into corrupt headers even if the photo seems legit.

Adam

10-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not related to the K-30 stuff specifically, but FWIW, ExiftoolGUI (Windows) helps make some exiftool related tasks a bit easier to manage. I've used it in the past for some batch operations.

FWIW 2, JPEGs/ARW from my old NEX-5 would cause exiftool and even some image editors to throw errors when you tried to touch their EXIF data, so it is not unknown for the current issues with K-30 EXIF to happen. The problem could be as simple as the camera firmware writing a carriage return in the wrong place in the EXIF code in the image header.

However in the case of my NEX-5 problem (and in typical Sony fashion) I think it was a deliberate strategy to frustrate those who may want to amend the EXIF. That likely isn't something to worry about with Pentax.

10-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
so it is not unknown for the current issues with K-30 EXIF to happen. The problem could be as simple as the camera firmware writing a carriage return in the wrong place in the EXIF code in the image header.
That could be what the PhotoME <Invalid Data Offset> seems to mean.

This is precisely why I was asking -
if it is simple "incompatibility" in the way the metadata was written for the JPG
(remember the RAW/DNG of the paired RAW+JPG seems to be read fine by PhotoME) -
then it would be a pretty simple "adjustment" in a firmware update.....
that is, as long as Pentax are aware of it,
and the "incompatibility" wasn't deliberate.
11-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter

On the Mac I use GraphicConverter for a lot of tasks, and it runs ExifTool and sees the metadata in K30 generated JPEGs just fine. Perhaps PhotoME really is not supported and this is showing that to be true?
11-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
On the Mac I use GraphicConverter for a lot of tasks, and it runs ExifTool and sees the metadata in K30 generated JPEGs just fine. Perhaps PhotoME really is not supported and this is showing that to be true?
Please see Post #3 above.

I think ExifTools shows a lot of data as-is without trying to separate them into fields,
whereas PhotoME "interprets" the data into fields -
so if there is a "data offset" then the whole section would be out.

I tried to say this in the opening post -
PhotoME reads the EXIF of the same/paired K-30 RAW/DNG just fine -
it also reads the even newer K-5IIS (and K-5II) just fine for both JPGs and DNG -
it reads every other Pentax dSLR JPG just fine (except for the K-30 and K01)
so why is just the K-30 (and K01) JPG incompatible?

I am not sure it is an error in PhotoME -

like I said I think it is an "invalid" Data Offset in the EXIF of the K-30 (and K01) JPGs -
the EXIF of their RAW/DNGs are just fine.....

Last edited by UnknownVT; 11-02-2012 at 11:35 AM.