Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your comments... I was panicking so I thought maybe there might be a problem with the sound coming out of the camera.
I think I will have to send the camera for repair or refund, if possible.
And regarding the bug report, maybe I can't file a bug report, but I hope Pentax can become aware that this problem might exist, for the sake of future cameras (and maybe even current cameras if it can be fixed through firmware). This problem came under the following conditions:

1. Low battery (Had a day's worth of shooting, did not recharge battery. The battery level seemed to be about 2/3 to 1/2 when turned on).
2. Shooting in RAW, Continuous mode (High, I believe).
3. Went from shooting at 1fps (Which I believe is normal) to 6-7fps (in RAW, so must be abnormal).
4. Later, pressed the green button to meter (lens is manual), but the shutter seemed to not fully come up (?) or jam. One should normally hear a nice clap when it comes down, and a nice clap when it comes up, but did not come up well. Because of this couldn't get a meter reading, and basically froze the camera, with the above symptoms.
5. After taking out battery to turn it off (turning it to off position did not help), on one of the reinserts and powerups, received "battery depleted" message. However, after taking out the battery again and reinserting, was able to power up, and had about 1/2 to 1/3 battery.
6. Once was able to get the camera to meter and take a picture, by changing from AF-C to MF (my brother must have touched the switch while trying to fix the camera) but later received the same problem, even in MF mode.
7. Bought a new battery, and everything seemed to work as normal (Live view, menu button, playback/review button all worked as normal, and could meter and take pictures).
8. Metered a scene by pressing green button, and got a shutter speed of 1/40. I wanted to get more DOF, so I increased the apperture (from 1.4 to about 2.8), and pressed the green button to meter again. However, this time, the shutter got jammed again, so camera froze again. The battery was almost full charge.

Sorry for the long post again, and thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I hope Pentax can become aware that this problem may exist! (even though it might be an incredibly rare case)

11-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #17

Original Poster
Also, one other question... I found that I have a European warranty included with my camera but no information was filled out. It says on the warranty card that the dealer's stamp is required, but there is no stamp... are Pentax very strict about having a dealer's stamp? I was wondering if I could maybe send it to Europe to have it fixed under warranty.
11-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I get the feeling this is lens related, not K-30 related specifically. Especially as you keep mentioning it as a manual lens.

Some manual lenses (and teleconvertors too) do not play nice with camera electronics - one Kenko teleconvertor I used on my K-5 caused the camera LCD screen, top screen and camera behaviour in general to go crazy. Sort of like a short-circuit was happening due to the way the lens contacts were arranged or assembled, or the way the camera was expecting the manual lens that was attached to the teleconvertor to talk to it.

Can you confirm that these problems still occur with the standard Pentax kit lens that the K-30 came with, when the camera is set to full AUTO mode?
11-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #19

Original Poster
Rawr, thanks for your reply. The lens is a Samyang 35mm F1.4, and for about a month I have used it perfectly, with only a few quirks (the not being able to turn edials after taking a picture bug, which went away very soon). So I don't know... I actually got it to work with a new battery, until the problem happened again (trying to get more DOF- slower shutter speed- green button to meter- freeze). Sorry, I don't have the kit lens, so I can't check if these problems occur with it. The Samyang actually is my only lens (got K-30 body only).

11-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by koolimy Quote
Also, one other question... I found that I have a European warranty included with my camera but no information was filled out. It says on the warranty card that the dealer's stamp is required, but there is no stamp... are Pentax very strict about having a dealer's stamp? I was wondering if I could maybe send it to Europe to have it fixed under warranty.
From my experience in Europe this happens with all products. The stores never fill out those forms ahead of time. Basically you should go back to the store you bought it and they will handle it from there or replace it or direct you on what to do. If you bought it online from an European store, send them an email or call them. EU has that EU warranty thing, which a lot of consumers and even stores do not know about, so check that out.
11-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by koolimy Quote
The lens is a Samyang 35mm F1.4,
Aha. That should be OK, I guess. Many Pentax people use that lens.

Since you keep using the green button all the time, I guess this version isn't one of the SamYangs that support auto-aperture on Pentax. Of course, with an A lens use of the green button isn't required.

It still think it might be useful to pick up a Pentax kit lens one day to see how the camera behaves with a standard lens mounted.

Anyway, all the best with pursuing your options for repair, refund or replacement.
11-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I strongly suggest you try it with a different lens before sending it back. If you do not have access to another (fully auto) lens then at least try operating it without any lens at all. That is equivalent to operating it with a screw mount lens on a K adapter.

The problem could well be a slightly jammed aperture lever on your lens, or even a defective flange which is contacting the lever. I have had problems very similar to what you describe when using an 20 year old 28mm manual K-mount lens with my K-r. Apparently the lever is too much to handle for the auto diaphragm actuator and when that cannot move as freely as it should the camera gets all confused and will only work again after removing the battery and sometimes even that wouldn't fix it and I'd have to fiddle around with the lever and the mirror to get it to work. Once even the shutter somehow got stuck half open and I had to encourage it to move with a toothpick.

I remember seeing a couple of threads dealing with this aperture lever problem, in particular how to 'reset' it once the problem occurs. If I remember correctly there is some sequence of holding the lever then pressing the shutter and things like that. Unfortunately I only came across it long after I had experienced the problem so I only managed to get mine to work by trial and error.

If I'm not mistaken the shutter on the K-30 is the exact same mechanism used on the K-r so I would presume the same applies.

It took me some time (more than it should) to realize that this problem only occurred with that particular lens. Once I stopped using it I've never had a repeat of that problem. I have since got a K-30 and I'm not letting that lens get anywhere near it.
11-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #23
Pentaxian

As Lister 6250 said, this is probably lens related, I had the same problem yesterday when using my fully manual SMC-M 55mmF1.8 - it seems to occur when changing aperture then pressing green button, so the whole " aperture lever too hard for camera to operate, causing jamming and general confusion" scenario seems to be a fair explanation. No problems with my K30 on manual A lenses or any of my "modern" lenses, although I haven't fully field tested it yet.

12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #24

to koolimy: possible solution

Let me put my 1 cent to this tread, as I actually have a very similar if not exactly the same problem with my K-30.

With the original battery, the camera could do just a couple of shots, then the shutter (or the aperture lever) make a strange "clunk" sound, after what the viewfinder becomes very dark (I presume that the shutter lever could not hold the aperture open). And then after pressing shutter, the image would come as 100% black file (no picture whatsoever).
Then some buttons of the camera do not work at all, including the on/off switch. I was really surprised when it happened first time - the camera would not switch off when I rotated the switch to "off" position! The only solution is to pull out the battery. However, after re-inserting the battery, camera does the same - 1-2 pictutes, then clunk, and black files instead of pictures.
Please note that all this happens REGARDLESS to the lens I use - original kit (18-55) or FA 35mm, or DA 18-135 WR.

Fortunately, I bought the AA battery adapter just after buying camera.
So when I use AA battreies, the camera works as it should. And extra bonus: 4x AA battery equals 4x2100 mAh = 6000 mAh vs 1050 mAh which means I can shoot much more on one charge.
That's the workaround for this problem which I use for the last 2 months. (The camera was purchaced in B&H in July 2012). I am planning to take the camera to service once(if) I will go to US.

You may find it useful to just buy the same cheap 4$ battery adapter, which I use and be OK during yor trip to China:
D BH109 AA Battery Holder Adapter Bracket for Pentax K R SLR DSLR Camera | eBay
Have a good luck!
12-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vlad_Africa Quote
Fortunately, I bought the AA battery adapter just after buying camera.
So when I use AA battreies, the camera works as it should. And extra bonus: 4x AA battery equals 4x2100 mAh = 6000 mAh vs 1050 mAh which means I can shoot much more on one charge.
That's the workaround for this problem which I use for the last 2 months. (The camera was purchaced in B&H in July 2012). I am planning to take the camera to service once(if) I will go to US.

You may find it useful to just buy the same cheap 4$ battery adapter, which I use and be OK during yor trip to China:
D BH109 AA Battery Holder Adapter Bracket for Pentax K R SLR DSLR Camera | eBay
Have a good luck!
Just a point of clarification on batteries: Multiple batteries in series (such as in a camera) increases the voltage but NOT the current. So four AA batteries with 2000 mAh capacity at a nominal 1.2 volts become a single 2000 mAh battery of roughly 4.8 volts.
05-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #26

I have exactly the same problem with my one day old K30 with 18-135mm WR! Just hours after the un-boxing, aprox. 100 test pictures, the camera froze up, seemingly after hitting Live View. Can no longer take pictures, can't switch it off, can't reset to factory settings ... I'm freaking out ... this is my first Pentax and I was super excited to finally get it ... Really hope this is the exception and not a common problem. I want to like / love this camera, but this experience is putting me off badly. Had to join the forum to just share ...
05-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drangoon Quote
I have exactly the same problem with my one day old K30 with 18-135mm WR! Just hours after the un-boxing, aprox. 100 test pictures, the camera froze up, seemingly after hitting Live View. Can no longer take pictures, can't switch it off, can't reset to factory settings ... I'm freaking out ... this is my first Pentax and I was super excited to finally get it ... Really hope this is the exception and not a common problem. I want to like / love this camera, but this experience is putting me off badly. Had to join the forum to just share ...
Every post in this thread sounds like a duff battery with high internal resistance. The voltage drops too low as soon as anything power draining is used.
05-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drangoon Quote
Relax, just pull the battery and insert it again, and then see if you have the firmware update 1.04 installed, that might fix the problem..
05-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Yes, try and isolate the problem to the various elements of your camera (as a system of inter-dependent parts) - like the battery, as has been suggested, or even your charger, perhaps. If you can use another battery, does everything work then? if you can use AA's in your K-30, does everything work then?

There may even be issues of over-charging the brand-new battery to consider. If you leave the battery overnight, for example, so that it can bleed off a bit of current, does the camera work normally then?
06-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #30

I have experienced a very similar problem. Sometimes on using the thumb e-dial, to set exposure compensation, everything freezes up. Turn off/on or taking battery out resets everything again. I hope I don't have to get a repair/ warranty claim. It's just a couple weeks old. Had a Kr before this, for only a week and the e-dial was completely irrational - the setting jumped all around on adjusting the e-dial.
Disappointing!