Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I'd like to see a threshold parameter introduced to the Focus Peaking feature as I'd prefer the highlighted area to be as narrow as possible...
Yes! Especially for ultra wide angle lenses and slow lenses.
Also, I think some other brands have different peaking modes, which turn everything dark except for the in-focus part. Or even some that allow changing the colour of the peaking itself. Pentax should look into this. Focus peaking is great, I love it, but it can still be improved upon because it is relatively new tech

04-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Focus peaking is great, I love it, but it can still be improved upon because it is relatively new tech
This nails it on the head.

Focus Peaking is amazing, and is definitely killer feature, but there's still a lot of improvement.

One such improvement could be the ability to change the color of the focus peaking "shimmer" from something other than white. Red would be a good choice. Hopefully that can be applied by way of a firmware update (it might cause me to actually upgrade!).

Also, this is something I've observed in passing, but never formally measured. I feel like Focus Peaking drains the battery much faster than normal. I suspect it's a combination of the LCD being on all the time, and extra processing power needed for the camera to perform the focus peaking.

I could be totally off, of course, and my perceptions could be completely wrong, but I thought I would throw that out there.
04-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #18

When im using manual focus, i always use it. Its very handy.
04-15-2013, 02:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

For normal photos I get much better results with CIF using my manual lenses, even my M1.4@1.4, especially at slower shutter speeds, don't know if the double action of the mirror causes a bit of blur or not. The K-30's got such a nice OVF compared to my K-x, I don't actually have to use the feature for normal shots. I do however use it for taking short video clips, just a pity that you can only use it to focus till you start the video, if you want to change focus while shooting, it's not available....

04-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I haven't used focus peaking on a K30, because it doesn't have focus peaking in the eye level viewfinder. But I LOVE it on the NEX6. Especially with very fast lenses. No more fidgetting around with aftermarket focus screens and shims. My K5 still can't really handle fast lenses. But with the peaking on the NEX6 focussing my fastest lenses is easy and always on the spot, with the camera straight out of the box.

So yes, focus peaking is extremely nice, but it needs to be in the VF. Photografy via the back LCD panel is a pain, no matter how cool the peaking is.
04-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #21

Hi!
I just started to understand the beauty of working with him. I shoot small items ( goods) at home when the weather is bad. LV is very helpful for accurate focusing. Unfortunately, when I'm shooting outdoors in bright sunshine, it is hard to use LV. I ask for your advice - anyone tried this device (Delkin 3.0 inch Pop-Up Shade for Camera Screens, Black DU30MBLK ) ?
It is convenient and useful? He will not be in the way when walking in the woods, mountains, etc. ? Unfortunately, I can not rate it on the picture, but here things like that do not sell. When I back to Moscow I will look there. Your opinion is very important to me. Thank you!
04-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I find it amazing and a must for a mirrorless camera - very welcomed feature on my K-01 that's for sure .

04-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
я нахожу это удивительным, что необходимо для безрезонаторной камеры - очень приветствовали возможность на мой K-01 это точно .
Thanks!
I missed big exhibition the goods for photo, I think that Chinese brothers offered many useful !
04-15-2013, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

^ HAHA ... I sounds cool in ... I guess Russian
04-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Its useful as I've not bothered to add a v. good S-type focusing screen on my K30.
I find myself using it more and more for my many MF lenses when fast shutter reaction is not needed.

The K30 is the only DSLR (any brand) that even has focus peaking as a nice/useful addition, so there's really nothing to complain about.

To have the best stability, get a lcd loupe. (but its sort of geeky looking)
04-16-2013, 04:03 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

The K30 is the only DSLR (any brand) that even has focus peaking as a nice/useful addition, so there's really nothing to complain about.
I believe the sony alpha dslrs (A77 and A99) have focus peaking too. Plus their FP can be seen through the electronic viewfinder. You can also change the colour of the highlighted edges. Take note, Pentax!
04-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
I believe the sony alpha dslrs (A77 and A99) have focus peaking too. Plus their FP can be seen through the electronic viewfinder. You can also change the colour of the highlighted edges. Take note, Pentax!
Oh yeah, those are the closest to a DSLR, but they are SLTs .
04-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Pentax, with its large number of manual focus users, would be very smart to introduce a camera with focus peaking in the viewfinder.
04-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Pentax, with its large number of manual focus users, would be very smart to introduce a camera with focus peaking in the viewfinder.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think the only way to have focus peaking in the VF of a K30, would require the VF to be an EVF and not a OVF, which would the make it a mirrorless camera and no longer a DSLR.
04-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

He said
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
introduce a camera
not K-30