Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Yeah and he said.
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I haven't used focus peaking on a K30, because it doesn't have focus peaking in the eye level viewfinder. But I LOVE it on the NEX6. Especially with very fast lenses. No more fidgetting around with aftermarket focus screens and shims. My K5 still can't really handle fast lenses. But with the peaking on the NEX6 focussing my fastest lenses is easy and always on the spot, with the camera straight out of the box.
So yes, focus peaking is extremely nice, but it needs to be in the VF. Photografy via the back LCD panel is a pain, no matter how cool the peaking is.
NEX6 is not a DSLR so it can have peaking in the VF because it's electronic. There is no point in commenting about the K-30 not having it in the VF, technically not possible. Pentax should have made an EVF attachment for the K-01 which would have been a solution, but that probably belongs in another thread.

04-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by john1963 Quote
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think the only way to have focus peaking in the VF of a K30, would require the VF to be an EVF and not a OVF, which would the make it a mirrorless camera and no longer a DSLR.
You can use a LCD loupe.

So far, the downside of DSLR LV implementation has been the shutter lag due to the shutter having to come down and up again (at least for Pentax cameras, don't know about others)
For the best LV shooting, a dedicated MILC will be better and I hope Pentax will re-explore one even if its just a new GXR with 16mp AA-filterless module. The EVF eyepiece gives stability.

Not saying that the K30 is no good.
Its probably the best one out there in fact for a DSLR, but with limitations (ie. shutter lag; less stability)
04-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Pentax, with its large number of manual focus users, would be very smart to introduce a camera with focus peaking in the viewfinder"
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think the only way to have focus peaking in the VF of a K30, would require the VF to be an EVF and not a OVF, which would the make it a mirrorless camera and no longer a DSLR.
@john1963, please just read the post by Clavius again, and your reply to that. You quoted it yourself and In the part you quoted he doesn't refer to the K-30 at all.
04-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

LOL! Did I accidentally log into 4chan?

The question in the thread is: "How useful is focus peaking?" Nowhere it says that there will be angry mobs if somebody gives an on-topic comment on the usefulness of peaking on a different system in comparisson to the K30. If it is against the forum-rules, if I offended anybody, or if I hurted anybody with the comment, I will be happy to delete it.

Strictly about the K30 then: Personally, I don't think peaking can ever really be very useful when the user is forced to use it with the camera away from the face. With stretched arms... (Possibly with open mount too.) Wobbly wielding a heavy legacy MF lens, like e.g. a 85mm 1.4. Maybe it can be useful on a tripod in a studio. Otherwise it's always going to be a compromise, sacrificing stability for acurate manual focussing or fice versa. The user is going to have to chose one of the both. In other words: It's out of place on a DSLR... But, as it is only software, it is nice to be able to chose. It's an extra feature.

(With the risk of going off-topic) ...And it would be really very cool if Pentax would market a camera (so, evidentially not a K30) specifically catering to the needs of its huge group of enthusiastic manual glass users. An SLR shaped camera with a nice responsive EVF with peaking. It would have the fantastic compination of eye-level VF + peaking, like the tools from other manufacturers out there, but still support any autofocus lenses. Not to mention CDAF in the VF! (Clavius ducks in the corner and covers face & other delicates.)

04-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #35

I've found it useful using a 50mm f1.7 manual focus but I do prefer the viewfinder I must say.
04-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #36
Pentaxian

LOL! Did I accidentally log into 4chan?

The question in the thread is: "How useful is focus peaking?" Nowhere it says that there will be angry mobs if somebody gives an on-topic comment on the usefulness of peaking on a different system in comparisson to the K30. If it is against the forum-rules, if I offended anybody, or if I hurted anybody with the comment, I will be happy to delete it.

Strictly about the K30 then: Personally, I don't think peaking can ever really be very useful when the user is forced to use it with the camera away from the face. With stretched arms... (Possibly with open mount too.) Wobbly wielding a heavy legacy MF lens, like e.g. a 85mm 1.4. Maybe it can be useful on a tripod in a studio. Otherwise it's always going to be a compromise, sacrificing stability for acurate manual focussing or fice versa. The user is going to have to chose one of the both. In other words: It's out of place on a DSLR... But, as it is only software, it is nice to be able to chose. It's an extra feature.

(With the risk of going off-topic) ...And it would be really very cool if Pentax would market a camera (so, evidentially not a K30) specifically catering to the needs of its huge group of enthusiastic manual glass users. An SLR shaped camera with a nice responsive EVF with peaking. It would have the fantastic compination of eye-level VF + peaking, like the tools from other manufacturers out there, but still support any autofocus lenses. Not to mention CDAF in the VF! (Clavius ducks in the corner and covers face & other delicates.)
I have used the focus peaking on my K30 both on and off the tripod. I tend to use it at night though, so looking at the rear LCD screen is not an issue. You certainly don't need to hold the camera at arms length, just a few inches separation from the face. I have used this technique in daylight as well, I always use magnification and focus peaking combined though. I wouldn't have a problem using a camera with a decent quality evf though and as you say that and focus peaking would be a great combination.
04-19-2013, 03:29 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Pentax, with its large number of manual focus users, would be very smart to introduce a camera with focus peaking in the viewfinder.
Correct. Although a magnifying viewfinder shade can achieve the same thing if you are I live view
04-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Focus peak on K-01

I really find focus peaking to be a valuable feature on my little yellow K-01. This focus feature gives more artistic control over in-focus/out-of-focus aspects of the image. The two attached images just taken in my kitchen illustrate this point. These photos were taken using the Helios 44-K-4 (58 mm) lens. BTW I am finding my manual lenses in general to be much more enjoyable choices with focus peaking available. Wish I had it available my DSLR's, and my experience with the K-01 makes me consider acquiring a K-30. I think the A lenses (like my A-50mm f 1.7) become considerably more useful, and makes me much more inclined to consider new manual focus lens choices like some of the one from Korean mfgr Samyang, Bower, etc.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
04-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Focus peaking is super nice, I use it a lot on my K-01. A lot, but not all the time. I do find when using wide angle lenses that it is very difficult to see with focus peaking if it is in focus (unless you are close to the subject). Also with long lenses it can be a bit toublesome. But with lenses between 35-135mm I find focus peakinf very handy. Unless you have a white background, then it is pretty useless too.

And where it really shines is in macro work, just brilliant
04-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
You certainly don't need to hold the camera at arms length, just a few inches separation from the face. I have used this technique in daylight as well, I always use magnification and focus peaking combined though.
Most people over 45 wouldn't be able to do that unaided.
04-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Most people over 45 wouldn't be able to do that unaided.
That's ageist, I'm 51!
04-19-2013, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

I tend to use it a lot. If I'm having issues seeing the shimmer, I'll turn on dark/bright highlighting in the LCD menu options, which will then cause the white shimmer to flare yellow as the camera will treat it as a highlight. Its not as accurate that way, but in bright light I'm probably shooting stopped down anyway which offsets the vagueness of using it this way.