Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how useful is focus peaking?

how useful is the focus peaking in the k30? do you use it sometimes, most times, or all times when using a manual lens

thanks

randy

11-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's very, very nice for manual focus. It also helps confirm that the AF system locked onto what you wanted it to.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

On my K-01 I use it all the time, but that camera is always in live view. The K-30 has an OVF. So if you are looking through the OVF, you aren't using the peaking, but you can always switch to live view.
It is a very useful feature. You can probably go and try it out at a store.
11-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Slip, i'll be fair with you.
It's really nice, but i don't find myself using it ever on the K-30.
I've used it a couple of times for fun, but the OVF is the deal...
Also, in low light, the peaking is really really tough to see, and it's not nice at all to use LV in those situations...
Of course, your opinion might be different

11-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks so far

btw, what is OVF?
xxx view finder?

cheers

randy
11-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
yep. Optical ViewFinder the old school, no batteries required, method of seeing what you're capturing.

as opposed to an EVF Electronic ViewFinder the new school, batteries muchly required, method of seeing what you are capturing.
11-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've only used focus peaking on my NEX, and I love it. It's one of the major factors in my choice of the next DSLR I buy, which will probably be a K30.
11-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
jup
Forum Member

I find it very handy for macro work. You usually use some kind of support and manual focus anyway for macro, so it's often easier to just compose via live view. And accurate focus is pretty much critical.

11-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter

It is great I use it on the K-01. My wife has the K30 but doesn't use live view very much so is not getting much use with the focus peaking. I would love to see the addition of selectable colours for the outline as white isn't always the best.
11-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter

If I'm using a tripod I use it all the time, even with autofocus. But with a MF lens I can focus 10 times better with Focus Peaking than using the OVF. I've experimented using Focus Peaking on a MF lens handheld, then switch off live view to actually take the photo. It should work if it's not a real close focus. Distant objects at infinity focus don't show up real well because they are too small.

The focus peaking really helps show you how much depth of field you have by outlining everything that is in focus.
04-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Forum Member

I'm using K-r and planning to upgrade to k-30 particularly, just because of its focus peaking feature. After reading all, focus peaking is a feature not with OVF but with LV. But LV consumes more battery and we can't use it for a prolonged periods. Is this issue minimized in K-30? Any advice?
Many thanks,
04-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's essential when using the Q with the adapter, as far as I'm concerned.
04-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

To be honest, I am not finding it as 'nice' as I thought it would be. I have yet to get really accurate focusing with it on the K-01 and pretty much always use AF with the motion detection setting.. gets me 100% every time with my DA*55.

I would have preferred Focus Peaking to have Axial chromatic aberration colours (back and front focus) of things slightly OOF and white for what is in focus (and I mean IN FOCUS not merely in the zone). There's no way, apart from having a really sharp and fast lens with narrow DOF, to determine what is precisely in focus and what is merely 'in the zone" with the current implementation IMO.
04-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
To be honest, I am not finding it as 'nice' as I thought it would be. I have yet to get really accurate focusing with it on the K-01 and pretty much always use AF with the motion detection setting.. gets me 100% every time with my DA*55.

I would have preferred Focus Peaking to have Axial chromatic aberration colours (back and front focus) of things slightly OOF and white for what is in focus (and I mean IN FOCUS not merely in the zone). There's no way, apart from having a really sharp and fast lens with narrow DOF, to determine what is precisely in focus and what is merely 'in the zone" with the current implementation IMO.
I think that I mentioned this in another thread....I really was looking forward to focus peaking, but I too find it less useful than I'd expected. In particular, when photographing "something bright" (even if the screen is in shade), or when using a polarizing filter.

And I seem unable to use it in any kind of useful way on the Q "toy" fisheye....

The advice I was given was to "practice, and it'll grow on you", so I'm doing that - but I actually find that on the Q and K-01, AF does a fairly good job and rarely needs help.

So, I'll be practicing....

PS: I'l green with envy that you have the *55 -- I have tried it in a shop, and fallen madly for it, so one of these days I'll have to jump the trigger and get my own copy...
04-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd like to see a threshold parameter introduced to the Focus Peaking feature as I'd prefer the highlighted area to be as narrow as possible...