Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

I think I'm sold on the K-30 but which kit?

I originally just went shopping online as I was finding focusing an old M lens a bit difficult on my K-x and fancied getting an autofocus prime - the 35mm f2.4 DAL.
Gear Acquisition Syndrome has now struck again however and I'm now seriously thinking about selling the K-x and pulling the trigger on a K-30. The more I read the more features I find that I like - intervalometer, focus peaking, 2 dials etc.

I can't decide which lens to go with though. I gather the 18-135mm WR is nice but that's too much money at the moment, the 18-55mm DAL is cheap as chips at 30 extra but the 18-55mm WR is 80 extra which feels like a lot for a kit lens. Is it worth the money?
I was thinking of just buying the body and the above 35mm prime, but then it seems a bit silly having a WR body without a WR lens.
On the other hand, with focus peaking maybe I'd be happier with my manual primes and wouldn't feel the need for the 35mm f2.4?

11-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd get a WR AF lens just so that your kit feels complete. The 18-55 WR is a good balance of performance and value, but I'd strongly encourage getting the 18-135mm for the added versatility. Maybe you can start with the 35mm, then get the WR zoom later on?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lenses do you already have? Will you actually need the WR? Its usually good to have a WR lens for your WR body, but you can get it further down the line (though, it will probably cost more than in a bundle).
You probably already know what the kit lens' performance is, now think about whether that is good enough in the rain for you to use.
Manual primes with peaking will be great btw. Basically, you have to decide - are you getting this camera for the WR, or for the peaking and other functions?
11-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

there are a lot of good cheap deals on the K30 and the 18-55 DAL lenses, the older non weather ( WR ) resistant ones. But why buy a WR camera with a potentially leaky lens?
If it's the same optics in either lens, and I think it is, then it's very well respected as a 'kit lens', I have it as it came with my old K10 and I've always been happy with it. It might not be the greatest lens in the universe, but it surely isn't the worst.

11-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would do the WR 18-55 just to have the option of one WR lens. The first time you want to shoot in the rain, in dusty conditions, or near a beach you will be glad you did. That's the whole point of the WR camera. Otherwise you might as well save a few $$$ and buy a K-r on clearance or something.
11-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the18-55 and have an extra one on hand. I could be inspired to part with it and add the proceeds to my 31mm limited lens fund. Please send me a private message if interested, no problem shipping at all.
11-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
It was the actually WR that initially attracted me to the camera. I don't think the k-r would offer enough of an upgrade to tempt me away from my k-x (though I'll admit I haven't even looked at it).
I have the 18-55 DAL on my k-x, ok it has a few limitations sometimes but I'm happy with it. I have a trio of old Pentax-M lenses (28/50/135) and a couple of other old manual things.
Thinking about it, I have lenses to cover the longer range, so I think I'll go for the 18-55 WR just to have a WR kit and hold off buying an AF prime until I see how I get on with focus peaking (which I'd never even heard of until I read about it here earlier).
Thanks for the feedback, it's really helped!

Now I need to find a cheap hobby!
11-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #8

I know you siad it was too much for the 18-135 WR but getting that lens later on its own is going to cost you more than in a kit and are you really going to be able to last long without more zoom. Perhaps I'm just mentally consolidating my own purchase decision but I am really happy with the 18-135WR. Good luck in your choices..........

11-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pfan Quote
I know you siad it was too much for the 18-135 WR but getting that lens later on its own is going to cost you more than in a kit and are you really going to be able to last long without more zoom. Perhaps I'm just mentally consolidating my own purchase decision but I am really happy with the 18-135WR. Good luck in your choices..........
I agree. Get the 18-135 with the camera at a discounted bundle price. I'd be kicking myself if I hadn't.
11-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Stop with the temptation, I swear you lot are working for the Pentax marketing department!