Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2012, 02:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Question about AF Active area and AE metering

Recently I was asked to do a review of bus ride, which I will do on Monday. The bus ride is a double-decker thing that tourists ride and enjoy watching the sites of a city.

I`ve actually done this once before, but a different course to the one I will do next week and also with a point and shoot compact. However, this will be the first time I do it with a DSLR (i.e. Pentax K-30).

The bus at times will be moving at fairly high speed on freeways etc, and at other times it will be moving at very sedate speeds. As I`m not really a pro yet, I`m quite worried about the camera focusing correctly, especially when the bus is moving quickly.

For AF Active area which would be better: 5 AF points, 11 AF points or spot? I`m thinking spot might be the best, but would like a second opinion.

Similar question about AE metering: multi-segment, center-weighted or spot?

Any thoughts or ideas would be really appreciated

11-03-2012, 03:02 AM   #2

what lens are you using
11-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
what lens are you using
Pentax DAL 1:3.5-5.6 18-55ml AL, the lens that came with the camera.
11-03-2012, 04:21 AM   #4

set it to f8

use av mode

for high speed situations bump your iso

use spot focus

use multi metering and adjust in post

shoot raw

11-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If the event is important, before the event, if possible, take another bus ride with your camera, and shoot a few shots with different camera modes and AF settings, then go home, look at the shots, read the EXIF, and see what AF and exposure mode worked best.

Otherwise, on the day, especially if the camera is new to you and you don't need to shoot RAW, just set the mode dial to Auto, set the AF switch to AF.S, and just shoot. Let the camera decide the AF mode, according to its calculations of what the scene requires. Review your shots as you go.

If things aren't working, switch to another mode like Tv and raise the shutter speed to something like 1/250 to freeze motion better, or something like Av mode and f5.6 to f8 to give you more DOF. And then adjust the AF setting to 11 or 5 point or centre-spot etc if you feel you need to.

Personally I'd be focussing more on composition and lighting than AF.
11-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice rawr and Patajac. I think I`ll be going with rawr advice on either auto, which should be safest I think. I`m also thinking Tv and setting the shutter speed to 1/250 might be really good too. As I type I`m thinking Tv and 1/250 is the way to go. Unfortunately this bus ride is just a one off thing, so I won`t have a chance to do a another ride. The only other problem I have is shooting through the windows of this bus, but that mightn`t be able to be solved. Anyway, thanks for the help guys