Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #1

Finalizing my decision

Hello, I posted in the definitive shutter sound thread, and at that time I thought that was the only thing left before deciding on the K30. Thanks to everyone in that thread btw. I never realized there was such an active forum for Pentax.

Anyhow, I've realized that there are a few other things that I need to confirm first before making the final decision. First of all, my other consideration is an SLT-a57. The EVF is quite nice since it's WYSIWYG. The 12fps is of course remarkable, and the swivel screen is always appreciated. But it looks like the Pentax is more ergonomic, has better IQ especially at high ISO, and more rugged. Not to mention it seems geared toward a more professional crowd.

Now the items I want to confirm are:
1. Turning off the LCD takes at least 2 button presses? Is there a setting that would turn it off after 5 seconds or anything? From what I've searched it does not seem like it exists. But once off it will be off indefinitely until turning it back on, aside from the picture review?

2. Has it ever felt sluggish to you? (Terribly subjective but any input is appreciated) For reference, I feel that the a57 is quite snappy.

I know there were like 2 more things but I totally can't remember them right now... maybe I should worry about my memory before worrying about which camera to get...

Thanks!

11-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1) You can set the LCD screen to time out until you press a button (like the shutter). It times out in something like 5/15/30s. Otherwise, press info twice and it's off fully.

2) The camera did not feel sluggish to me when I was using it. My k-x can be a little slower with photo review, but it's been perfect with everything else. The k-30 felt the same, but a bit better at photo review. No delay when pressing any of the buttons.
11-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
glad to hear both points. after thinking about it, i dunno why i thought pushing a button twice was a big deal. i guess i've gotten lazy, counting on a prox sensor to do the job. speed wise, after seeing videos of it in operation, i can't imagine it being out of the ordinary for a DSLR.

one more thing i did remember was the frequency of the camera freezing. it seems like the firmware is not really bug-free at the moment, and there have been a number of freeze ups. i understand this seems to happen more when changing the lens without turning the camera off, but i also read occurrences with continuous shooting. i'm guessing this issue isn't readily and reliably reproducible, and it just happens when it happens. should i be making a big deal out of this?
11-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd love a proximity sensor - but then again, that's just another part to fail.

Yes - I have heard that. That I can't comment on, it's not very prevalent (only a few users have reported it here). I think with the continuous shooting, it's partly people confusing it with the camera still writing (little red LED still working). So I don't know for sure. If it's major, I would hope it's fixed in a firmware update ASAP. And the Pentax of old may be slow with their updates, but I think the new Ricoh Pentax is quite on the ball.

11-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
good to know, thanks so much for all your input. i think i've nearly made up my mind!
11-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

No problem - do let us know when you get it and if you have any questions! We love being helpful
11-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #7

Hi! I am the guy who created the "Huge problem with K-30" thread, I don't know if you might have seen it (maybe you did, so you know about freezes). However, given that you will buy the camera under warranty I would highly recommend the K-30! I find the camera to be very easy, intuitive, and fun to use, and the IQ and low light capabilities are really remarkable. The only thing that feels a little sluggish to me was the startup, but that might be because I use a manual lens and have to input the focal lenght everytime I start it up (I have a habit of turning the camera off after shooting instead of just leaving it on). However, it really only is a few seconds, so I don't know if it really is of any significance.
11-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
yes i did see that thread. that was partially what got me worried! but despite that problem, if you still highly recommend, then i have to assume there must be some strong points going for this camera. the low light abilities are really what drew me to the K-30. the RAW files just seem to retain a lot of details even at high ISOs. the sony a57 seems to be close or nearly the same, but as silly as it sounds i just feel like it's too consumerish.

anyhow, the camera startup was one of the areas that i did worry about in terms of sluggishness. the "on to first shot" time seems to lag behind the competition a bit, but i think i can adjust to it. i'll just have to have it turned on when i'm in the zone lol.

11-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Not had any lockups on mine.
11-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #10

Original Poster
alright i just have 2 more items i want to confirm! hopefully i don't have any more questions!

3. in the test shots at imaging-resource, the details in the red pinwheel swatch practically disappears as you go higher in ISO. the IQ otherwise looks great even at high ISOs. have you noticed this in day to day shooting with other subjects/colors?

4. has the "early shutter penalty" that imaging-resource points out made you miss a shot?
11-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The K-30 shutter sound fired about 4ft away so that I can judge it as others might is similar to a K100D but ever so slightly smoother. It's not annoying I would say but not ideal in a hushed church for instance where I would be happy to fire off a couple of shots but wouldn't think of a burst..

Oh and the startup time seemed quicker after the 1.01 firmware update. Could be wrong though, but the camera is ready to shoot as soon as the thing has been switched on with my forefinger and moved over to the shutter button so it's not an issue. It's more or less instant coming out of the default 30s 'no buttons pressed' standby.

Last edited by SteveB; 11-09-2012 at 11:16 AM.
11-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Darn I am so close to go ahead and press the shutter on a K-30.

I see the prices go down and down at 618$...

I'm thinking that by boxing day, they might be at around 499...

Waiting is hard!
11-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #13

I ruled out the a57 as soon as I looked through the viewfinder. My thought process was 'Nice! F/A-18!...wait a minute...'. Fast panning showed horrible wobble and a lack of detail compared to the k30's. Also had horrible pixellation and colour. Add in the high iso difference in IQ, no competition!
11-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
I ruled out the a57 as soon as I looked through the viewfinder. My thought process was 'Nice! F/A-18!...wait a minute...'. Fast panning showed horrible wobble and a lack of detail compared to the k30's. Also had horrible pixellation and colour. Add in the high iso difference in IQ, no competition!
yea i looked at the a57 again the other day and the EVF seemed much more grainy and "rough" than i remembered. like you said, it seemed rather pixellated. so i think i am ruling it out, despite the other great things about it. having a bad viewfinder would be too annoying to live with.

can anyone comment on the 2 additional question i posted a couple of posts above? question #3 in particular.