Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

Finally Got My K-30

I am taking a trip to Israel at the very end of December and was looking to get a new camera so that I could take the best pictures I could while I was there. I owned a K-x in the past, originally getting it to do video work, but started using it more and more for pictures. After keeping up on the K-30 news, and seeing what it was and could do, I've been wanting to get it since it came out.

For the Israel trip, I wanted a camera that could handle being outside for extended periods of time, whether it be dusty, rainy, humid, or cold, all of which happen in Israel during the winter. I had purchased the Pentax WG-2 earlier this summer, and while it takes wonderful pictures, I wanted the DSLR feel. Though I will be taking the WG-2 with me as a backup plus if we do anything where the camera could end up in water.

So on this past Saturday I was browsing around Amazon and noticed that the K-30 with the 18-135mm WR lens was being listed as $745.79 on Amazon's Warehouse Deals with a Very Good rating. Well I grabbed it at that price, and I am glad I did, since as of right now, out of the 8 that were listed, they are all sold. The camera came in, and it was basically brand new, so its an even better deal.

I love the camera, way over my K-x, which is going up on E-Bay soon. Shutter is way quieter, the feel of the camera is better, and the overall use of the camera is faster and better. I'll post pictures here from my Israel trip when I get back in January.

I have since also ordered a Tiffen 62mm Digital Ultra Clear for the lens, a screen protector (ACMAXX), and a new strap the Pacsafe Carrysafe 100. Is there anything else that I could need for my trip to Israel for the camera?

11-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats, that's a great deal.

How about the AA battery adapter? That may come in handy.
11-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ah yes, I knew I was forgetting something. Im also looking into picking up some extra rechargeables. I think I might go with the same brand that I got for my WG-2, Wasabi Power, Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI109 and Pentax K-r, K-30: Camera & Photo
11-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

gamer24, have you been to Israel before? My wife and I took a tour there about a year and nine months ago. Probably the best trip I've ever taken. What's on your itinerary?

11-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
I have not. This trip I am taking is with Israel Outdoors who is one of the many organizations that plan Birthright trips, AKA one free trip to Israel if you are Jewish and between 18 and 26, though I still had to pay money for a ticket to NYC and back, whatever lunch I want while I'm there and other stuff I would buy. They cover the airfare to Israel, the bus, hotels, breakfast and dinner, security (we get one armed soldier on the bus plus a trained medic) and other stuff.

The only thing I know is that we will be visiting Tel Aviv and the Western Wall, everything else is up to the staff on the bus and the Israeli government who lets us know where it is safe to go for the day.
11-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gamer24 Quote
I have not. This trip I am taking is with Israel Outdoors who is one of the many organizations that plan Birthright trips, AKA one free trip to Israel if you are Jewish and between 18 and 26, though I still had to pay money for a ticket to NYC and back, whatever lunch I want while I'm there and other stuff I would buy. They cover the airfare to Israel, the bus, hotels, breakfast and dinner, security (we get one armed soldier on the bus plus a trained medic) and other stuff.

The only thing I know is that we will be visiting Tel Aviv and the Western Wall, everything else is up to the staff on the bus and the Israeli government who lets us know where it is safe to go for the day.
There is so much to see there that you will run out of time no matter how long you stay. Hopefully your visit to the Western Wall will include a tour through the tunnel. Other places: Yad Vashem museum, Israel museum (where the Dead Sea Scrolls are displayed), Meggido, Masada, Caesarea... I can name many more. You'll also find Jerusalem to be one of the hilliest cities you'll ever see. Be sure to post a few picks when you return!