Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Where is the Shutter Count?

Just received my K-30 to replace a K-r. I got a great price from Amazon's Warehouse deals... Black K-30 body with the 18-135 WR lens for $746! Opened the box this morning and everything looks new, with the exception that the warranty cards were removed. I am trying to access the shutter count to see how many shots were taken with this camera, but can't find how to access the shutter count in the manual index or on the camera menu. Can someone please help me withe this piece of information?

11-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I check mine with photome. It is a free download.. Just take a shot and down load it into the program. It will give you all the data on the shot, including the shutter count.
11-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Use this to check the shutter count ---> Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
It's pretty quick, easy, free, and no downloads required.
I don't think it is possible to check the shutter count on a Pentax camera from the camera, I've always done it online.

Congrats on your new K-30; that was a great deal!
11-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Julie and patrick9!

I had downloaded Photome and couldn't find the shutter count. Also tried another link I found on the forum to Camera Shutter Count which said my camera did not provide that data! Julie's link worked and gave me a shutter count of 1! So my Warehouse Deals purchase seems to be a brand new camera... just without a warranty. Your prompt replies to my request for help are much appreciated!

11-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Down at the bottom of the page in PhotoMe is a "Find" box. Just type in shutter count or just count and it will find the field with that label auto magically...

11-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sandstone Quote
Thanks Julie and patrick9!

I had downloaded Photome and couldn't find the shutter count. Also tried another link I found on the forum to Camera Shutter Count which said my camera did not provide that data! Julie's link worked and gave me a shutter count of 1! So my Warehouse Deals purchase seems to be a brand new camera... just without a warranty. Your prompt replies to my request for help are much appreciated!
I use Photome with my K-7 and it is a great package. While Photome is really useful and free, there are reports that it does not work with K-01 and K-30 photos.

I suggest to use PF utility:
Check Camera Shutter Count - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Hope that the comment aill help.
11-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
there are reports that it does not work with K-01 and K-30 photos.
That would be a bummer as I hope to get a k-30 sometime next year.
11-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
That would be a bummer as I hope to get a k-30 sometime next year.
When I read this I just had to give it a try... Photome does not seem able to pull shutter count out of K30 pictures... just tried it and used used the seach bar at the bottom... nothing.

Works fine for the K-r and according to the online update menu for Photome, I have the current version.

Having only picked up the camera yesterday, I'd have to guess that my count is under 50 (had to work all day today ) so I'm not all that worried...yet...

11-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #9

I just tried the link in the post by hcc (above)... thanks for that by the way... ten (?!?!).... I need to get out and get shooting.
11-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #10

Photome works a treat for my K-30.
11-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgecape Quote
Photome works a treat for my K-30.
It works for me but only to a certain extent - many things don't work properly in RAW, such as the AF points selected and the Metering segments and the shutter count. The shutter count is displayed but it is wrong. Apart from it telling me I have shot only 150 photos (which in itself is wrong) it also tells me that a month ago I had a shutter count of 200, so my shutter count has gone down with use instead of up.

With JPEGs it is a whole lot worse as nothing works except the most basic EXIF data that is standard for all cameras.

In other words it seems that for JPEG it has no Pentax K-30 specific decoding while for RAW it is somewhat better but still incomplete - I guess what works is what remained the same from the K-r and K-5. Perhaps a future version of Photome will include the K-30 in is library.

On the K-r it is a different story and decodes almost everything correctly both in RAW as well as JPEG.

I have version 0.8 beta 2, build 891, which as far as I can tell is the latest version available.
11-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #12

Lister,
I see it only gives shutter count in RAW and in my case I feel the count of 434 is correct but now you've got me distrusting it?
Which reminds me to get some more shooting done!
11-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
It works for me but only to a certain extent - many things don't work properly in RAW, such as the AF points selected and the Metering segments and the shutter count. The shutter count is displayed but it is wrong. Apart from it telling me I have shot only 150 photos (which in itself is wrong) it also tells me that a month ago I had a shutter count of 200, so my shutter count has gone down with use instead of up.

With JPEGs it is a whole lot worse as nothing works except the most basic EXIF data that is standard for all cameras.

In other words it seems that for JPEG it has no Pentax K-30 specific decoding while for RAW it is somewhat better but still incomplete - I guess what works is what remained the same from the K-r and K-5. Perhaps a future version of Photome will include the K-30 in is library.

On the K-r it is a different story and decodes almost everything correctly both in RAW as well as JPEG.

I have version 0.8 beta 2, build 891, which as far as I can tell is the latest version available.
Aha! That's why Photome wasn't showing my shutter count...it was a JPEG...