Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

Card error - file cannot be stored

Hi, i just received K-30 on Friday and since start I face an error of card. I bought new one with the camera - Lexar Premium series 32GB and once in 10 starts of the camera I see the error. I updated the firmware after the first appear of the error, but it didn't help.
Any suggestions? Broken card or camera? Thanks for replys
Ivan

11-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you formatted the card in-camera?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Adam, Yes after the upgrade of firmware I formated it in camera
Ivan
11-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Try another card - like a genuine Sandisk with a modest size of 8GB.

11-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I already mentioned that K-30 has issues with SDHC cards, specifically Transcend SDHC 8GB 10 class worked flawlessly on the Kr and K-30 signals a fault, doing a little bit mistake occurs and after stopping and rebooting the appliance again for some time, SanDisk Ultra 16 GB SDHC (Class10) works flawlessly, it seems that K-30 has a bug on the compatibility of memory cards, this problem has not been resolved with the latest upgrade, I'd prefer a solution in the next upgrade, and not to ignore the problem Pentax
11-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
I already mentioned that K-30 has issues with SDHC cards, specifically Transcend SDHC 8GB 10 clss worked flawlessly on the Kr and K-30 signals a fault, doing a little bit mistake occurs and after stopping and rebooting the appliance again for some time, SanDisk Ultra 16 GB SDHC (Class10) works flawlessly, it seems that K-30 has a bug on the compatibility of memory cards, this problem has not been resolved with the latest upgrade, I'd like to address this in the next upgrade, and not to ignore the problem Pentax
Is it possible that it is actually a hardware difference and some cards are not sitting quite correctly in the slot? They are supposed to be the exact same size, but of course there are always minor differences between card brands -- maybe the K-30 has not provided a snug enough fit?
11-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

it seems that K-30 has a bug on the compatibility of memory cards
Hmm. It seems the bug in compatibility may be with Transcend, not always Pentax.
SD card standards compliance and compatibility has never been perfect. People have often found some cards work while others don't, even though they may all claim to be SDHC Class 6 (or whatever).

Since I doubt it was practical for Pentax to put every card from every manufacturer on the planet through a testing process, for the K-x Pentax recommended (and tested, I presume) Sandisk, Toshiba and Panasonic SDHC cards from 4 - 32GB. So I've pretty much stuck with Sandisk and never had a problem in any camera.

11-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Hmm. It seems the bug in compatibility may be with Transcend, not always Pentax.
SD card standards compliance and compatibility has never been perfect.
worked perfectly on the Pentax Kr, now works perfectly on my friends old Canon 350D, did not mean to get the card because it blocks only the Pentax K-30, I hope that Pentax will "become" a consistent in recognizing and correcting errors (incompatibility with all rechargeable NiMH AA batteries over D-BH109 adapter to charge the same exact view - that's the problem since K-x-r-30)

Last edited by mbukal; 11-11-2012 at 03:22 PM.
11-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've been using Transcend 32GB UHS-1 cards for several months both on K-r as well as K-30. Haven't had any issues at all.

Previously I've had two Kingston's die in my K-r. (Actually one may have died elsewhere before I put it in the K-r)

As for NiMH batteries it seems only eneloop work properly, although I cannot say I tried all brands.
11-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I've been using Transcend 32GB UHS-1 cards for several months both on K-r as well as K-30. Haven't had any issues at all.

Previously I've had two Kingston's die in my K-r. (Actually one may have died elsewhere before I put it in the K-r)

As for NiMH batteries it seems only eneloop work properly, although I cannot say I tried all brands.

I use both energizer and enloop and have problem with either.
11-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

eneloop battery is one of the most expensive = best battery life, one of the most expensive SanDisk memory card = best memory card, does the Pentax must be designed to use only the most expensive products to make it operate normally, no it is not, and that's what you Pentax can not and must not allow ,
with eneloop I had no problem - some other battery is not even recognized and did not want to light up whatever you were 100% filled (Pentax again and still despite all the progress in the models does not show the exact state of the battery), now appeared even incompatibility with the memory cards, the most important of all, however, is that there is finally safe - the correct focus,
when the next (hopefully very fast) upgrade for K-30 software fix an accurate depiction of the state of rechargeable AA batteries and durability at approx. 600-700 photos that would be a big hit for this model (despite the incompatibility of AA batteries and memory card)
maybe one of them reads this forum

Last edited by mbukal; 11-12-2012 at 11:34 AM.
11-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Eneloop type rechargeables and the older type even though both nimh have completely different power profiles so it is no wonder one of them works better than the other. If eneloops work good, use eneloops as all of the rechargeables seem to be going that way anyway and they will last forever. (In the long run, they are far from being the most expensive -- they are the best deal around.)
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

use of white eneloop 1900mAh and black xxx eneloop 2400mAh and the Pentax K-30 not once does not show the exact state of charge / empty, as neither Pentax Kxr, we're not talking here about the quality of concrete AA rechargeable batteries but a Poor Pentax software for their use and hopefully finally concrete improvements as with obvious improvements focus

Last edited by mbukal; 11-12-2012 at 12:05 PM.
11-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

use of white eneloop 1900mAh and black xxx eneloop 2400mAh and the Pentax K-30 Not once does not show the exact state of charge / empty, as neither Pentax Kxr, we're not talking here about the quality of concrete AA rechargeable batteries but a Poor Pentax software for their use and hopefully finally concrete improvements as with obvious improvements focus
That's what I'm getting at -- all these different types of batteries are completely different and there is no way ANY device can really tell how much charge they have left because it is estimated by current power but their profiles are all different. (Put different kinds of fully charged batteries into a flashlight and you'll see what I mean -- some will be hopelessly dim even fully charged but they will stay on forever and others will shine brightly but not last so long.) And they drain at different rates when not in use. It will help to set the camera to the correct battery type, but in the area of rechargeables there is simply too much variance with how they behave. It is a problem with every electronic device that has a battery meter -- cameras, gps units, etc...
11-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought an 8gb Sandisk card when I got my K30 over a month and a half ago. I'm around 3500-3750 shots with it. I got a "memory card error" only once, a week or so ago. I just turned off the K30, pulled out the card to look at it to see if something was wrong, put it back in, and it worked fine. It has never come up again.

However, I bought 2 Lexar Platinum II 32GB SDHC cards that were on sale a couple of weeks after I got the K30. Tried one, every 20 or 30 shots it would either give me a "memory card error" or "unable to store image" message. The error came up at random. I gave it a chance and took around 200 pics with one of the cards. The error kept randomly popping up, so I returned the cards (the store would only take the unopened one back).

I think the problem lies with the Lexar cards.