Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-30 Metering Bug in the new Firmware???

I had the K-30 since July, a few weeks after owning it I notice a bug in writing the exif. When you have compensation in say AV mode for +2/3 EV. Then you switch to M mode, it writes the EV compensation values in the exif for the shot you take at M mode. But it doesn't seem to affect metering then. So, I just let this "minor" bug get away. This was firmware v1.00.

But after updating to frimware 1.01, if you had compensation in AV mode for say +3 EV, then switch to M mode, the metering goes haywire.

Example: I shoot first at M mode, and figured out that the correct exposure is F5.6, ISO 400 and 1/125 s. Then, I switched to AV and used compensation for +3 EV. If I switch back to M mode the previous settings (which was already correct) would then say that the metering is 3 stops underexposed. So you would adjust, the shutter, aperture and ISO to get correct exposure. But when you take the shot, you'll get an overexposed shot.

The fix is to remove the exposure compensation. Also, at M mode if I press the +/- button I can now set the compensation which seems wrong.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by drivingback; 11-11-2012 at 10:20 PM.
11-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #2

Maybe they added exposure compensation also in M mode and I think that it can be very useful
11-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The exposure compensation at M mode is there to control the green button activity... (which has been asked a lot around here)
About the metering problem, i'll test it out and see if it happens to me...i don't remember anything like that, though...
11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Moo

From what I recall, exposure compensation could be set in 1.00 manual mode, and would affect flash output, which was helpful. I haven't updated to 1.01 yet, but don't have my K-30 with me either so can't test it.

11-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses. I don't have a 1.00 firmware to confirm now. Our 2 K-30 (the other one is my girlfriend's) are already both on 1.01.

Why would you want to have Exposure compensation on M mode when you are already in control of both aperture and shutter? I think my old K-x doesn't have exposure compensation on M mode. And that's the way it should be.

@GabrielFontes - Could you give me a link to a thread about that "controlling the green button activity"? I don't quite get it.

@Moo - Regarding the flash, isn't there a separate flash output compensation? Was that you were referring to?

But the main issue here though is that setting the exposure compensation on other modes will affect the metering in M mode which is definitely wrong. When shooting night shots, I would always shoot at AV, High ISO with +1 EV just to check for composition and WB. After that I switch to M mode (long exposure) to have better control --lower ISO, set aperture and shutter. So if I forgot to reset the compensation in AV it will affect the metering in M mode.
11-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drivingback Quote
Thanks for your responses. I don't have a 1.00 firmware to confirm now. Our 2 K-30 (the other one is my girlfriend's) are already both on 1.01.

Why would you want to have Exposure compensation on M mode when you are already in control of both aperture and shutter? I think my old K-x doesn't have exposure compensation on M mode. And that's the way it should be.

@GabrielFontes - Could you give me a link to a thread about that "controlling the green button activity"? I don't quite get it.

@Moo - Regarding the flash, isn't there a separate flash output compensation? Was that you were referring to?

But the main issue here though is that setting the exposure compensation on other modes will affect the metering in M mode which is definitely wrong. When shooting night shots, I would always shoot at AV, High ISO with +1 EV just to check for composition and WB. After that I switch to M mode (long exposure) to have better control --lower ISO, set aperture and shutter. So if I forgot to reset the compensation in AV it will affect the metering in M mode.
Hi! If you are using a manual lens without A pin, you will have to use stop-down metering with the green button.
Some lenses might underexpose, some might overexpose, or maybe you are in a situation when you want to use exposure compensation...
Before the K-30, it would not be possible to do such thing, but now they have added exposure compensation in M mode, so you can dial in +1EV, for example, and then the green button metering will be one stop overexposed.
It can be used for more stuff, but that's one way to use it...
11-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Moo

No... The flash output could only be adjusted a small amount compared to the exposure compensation. I'm thinking something along the lines of one adjusted flash brightness and the other adjusted length or timing of the flash?

Why would you want to have Exposure compensation on M mode when you are already in control of both aperture and shutter?
For flash
Maybe that was the purpose of the flash output adjustment, but that has a narrower range.

I'll have to try it again, probably at the weekend.
11-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #8

Using Older Lenses on PENTAX K-30 | Pentax Support try this . Some info off the web site . Hope it helps

11-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #9

Original Poster
I see now what is the use of the compensation on M mode. That's actually quite handy. Thank you!

Only problem remaining now is when switching to M mode and metering is affected.
11-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In M-mode the exposure compensation controls the "zero point" of the exposure scale. If setting EC to +3 the zero point of the scale is shifted to 3 stops "over exposed".

The green button is used to reset exposure to the zero point by shifting aperure, shutter speed of both of them.
11-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Moo

Ok, I've had an experiment with 1.00. I had written a long thing about what happens etc, but I just decided that was pointless.

Basically, in manual mode with no flash, the exposure compensation does the same as it does in other modes, i.e. "offsetting the meter" and resulting in lighter or darker photos.

With flash, it does the same, adjusting the exposure of the final image. The shutter and aperture settings are much less connected to the resulting exposure, as the flash "makes up the difference".

The flash exposure compensation, the separate setting in the flash "screen" seems to do very similar if not identical, but only goes from -2 to +1, so is less useful (and less convenient). The advantage of this one though is that it only affects flash shots.