Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

K-30 Battery and old lenses

Greetings,

It should be blatantly obvious...I'm very new to digital photography. That said...I've come to enjoy using my K100. I've researched for some time, and I think perhaps the last digicam for me could be a K-30. I don't do video. Every other part of the camera is...well, exciting.

However...I have two misgivings. I read through the posts about batteries. I never found the answer to this question: Are there any 3rd party rechargeable batteries on the market? In the past, I've had bitter experiences with batteries available only from the camera manufacturer. By the way, I really like the CR-V3's that I use in the K-100.

Of all the reviews I've read, the one posted on this site is, fittingly, the best. It answered a question, indicating that older manual Pentax lenses can be used on a K-30.

However, is the process any easier than with a K100? Yes, I can use my manual lenses on the K100, but the ease of use was a bit oversold, in my opinion. It's a bit like standing on your head, spinning to the right, and spitting up quarters.

Is the "process" similar - manual lens on K-30?

Thank you. I have a genuine appreciation for this site.

11-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Film Guy Quote
However, is the process any easier than with a K100? Yes, I can use my manual lenses on the K100, but the ease of use was a bit oversold, in my opinion. It's a bit like standing on your head, spinning to the right, and spitting up quarters.
The process is the same.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

I wouldn't call it tedious, but you do have to stop-down meter, which is obviously not needed when shooting with A lenses or newer.

Here is a third-party battery for the K-30:
Pearstone D-LI109 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1050mAh)

Via the D-BH109, you can also use AA's with your camera:
Pentax D-BH109 AA Battery Holder for the Pentax K-r, K30 39100

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, there are 3rd party batteries. Not only that, you can also use AA batteries however you need to purchase a AA adapter first. Propper rechargeable AA batteries can give you about 3 times more juice. I know, I've experienced it I love the AA's so much that I bought 4 AA adapters (I have 2 K-30s and shoot weddings and other events).

I'm not familiar with K100 so I cant answer the manual lens related questions.
11-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

The K-30 takes AA batteries with an optional adapter, that might relieve your concern.

Support for manual lenses is unchanged from the K100.

K/M lenses are best used in M exposure mode. You set the aperture on the lens, hit the green (or the Av+/-) button which makes the camera set the shutter speed based on a stopped down metering, shoot.

Screw mount lenses are best used on Av mode. Focus, stop the lens down to the desired aperture, shoot.

11-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't know which battery specifically the K-30 needs, but some users have reported problems with third party batteries in the past.
The K-30 can mount all K-mount lenses. It can mount m42 lenses with simple adapters, as well as many others. See this thread for manual lens usage:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
Basically they will work in M mode (which allows green button metering) and Av mode (but only wide open).

The only bonus the K-30 has is focus peaking, for easier manual focus in live view. There are also many old Pentax lenses that are not manual, like the A and F and FA series. Feel free to check out camera and lens reviews on this forum. (you can find these in the toolbar at the top of the page, just beneath the banner). You can try just mounting your manual lens on the camera. Be sure to "allow aperture ring" in the menu, if the lens doesn't have an A setting.
Edit: Wow many replies appeared in the time I took to write this
11-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #6

I used: Hi Q Battery for D LI109 Pentax K R KR K 2 K2 Camera US | eBay
adapter and use the original:Pentax K R 39100 AA Battery Holder Adapter D BH109 | eBay
There is a replacement: New D BH109 AA Battery Holder for Pentax K R KR K 30 Camera BH109 | eBay
and battery:Sanyo Eneloop 4 Pack 2000mAh AA Ni MH Pre Charged 1500 Rechargeable Batteries | eBay
Sanyo Eneloop XX AA 4pk Precharged Batteries 2400 mAh 1 2 V Made in Japan | eBay
and it works really well
on the use of older lense Adam is all said

Last edited by mbukal; 11-12-2012 at 03:26 PM.
11-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #7

I have had good luck with Wasabi brand batteries, for several cameras. I've had bad experiences with other off-brands.

The green button mode with manual lenses does work with the K-30 but more as a guide than an accurate exposure. I always check the histogram for critical exposures.
11-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Moo

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Film Guy Quote
By the way, I really like the CR-V3's that I use in the K-100.
CR-V3 batteries do not fit into the K-30 battery chamber at all, even without the AA battery holder. This is a step backwards IMHO. Rechargeable CR-V3s are very cheap, last a very long time, and worked well with older Pentax models.

However, there are cheap Chinese copies of the "block" battery easily available, and cheap clones of the AA battery holder too (the K-r uses the same things), so you don't have to use the expensive "real things".

11-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Welcome old film guy . With the K-30 you also have to program the green button to shoot in manual stop down metering.
Using Older Lenses on PENTAX K-30 | Pentax Support instructions from the Pentax support site . I have had great luck with Sanyo rechargeable batteries . I have the cheap knock off holder that I purchased with the camera for 5 bucks and it works fine . Standard battrey and Sanyo back ups give you almost 1000 shots . Good luck with the K-30 .
11-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #10

Original Poster
My thanks to everyone for such thorough information. During my 50+ years of photography experience, there has been one constant. Photographers have always seemed willing to answer questions, share information, and swap stories. This site maintains that "tradition." It's really good to see. The difference, obviously, is that this site makes makes so much more information and knowledge available...24/7.

Thank you again for all your help. My K-30 is on the way!