Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If a 3rd party lens does not work properly with the body, but Pentax brand lenses do, why is that Pentax's fault? They need to sell glass too, bodies are not their big money maker, glass is. They probably aren't purposely sabotaging the Tamron glass, but why should they modify their body to work with glass they did not make?

Tamron does not license the use the K mount from Pentax, I don't believe they have licenses from any of the manufacturers, they reverse engineered the system to make them work. Just like Metz and Sigma reverse engineered the flash system, almost every updated body require a firmware update to the Metz and Sigma flashes to make them work properly again, yet an old Pentax AF360 that was bought years ago for a *istDL will work fine on a K-30 with no update.
Yeah, this whole thing about this lens not working at a particular aperture makes no sense to me, but if it is the only lens that does that on the body, then it is Tamron's problem, not Pentax's. It is very weird though.

11-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mckracken Quote
Just came back from testing another k30 body.
the same thing. AF unusable from 5.6. (tested with yet another lens)

Lens: Tamron 17-55 2.8
Im postive this is an official problem of the k30 with this Tamron lens.
How does that lead you to conclude that it is the fault of the K30? If I follow everything correctly, you have tried multiple lenses on more than one body. The only way to say for sure would be to try those same lenses on a different models of Pentax cameras.
Okay, let's suppose that it is a problem with Tamron 17-50/K30 incompatibility. (i.e. all lenses work on all other models and none work on any K30.) How does that put the onus on Pentax to remedy the situation? Pentax isn't an aftermarket body manufacturer for Tamron lenses.
11-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #33

Original Poster
I find that downright lazy from Pentax. Especially when you consider the popularity of this lens.
Well i guess its back to Canon.....*sigh*.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50299216
11-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mckracken Quote
Well i guess its back to Canon.....*sigh*.
Alrighty then.................................

Last edited by Parallax; 11-16-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Closed Thread