Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strange sound from K30 after continuous shooting

Yesterday for the first time I did some continuous shooting with the K30 and noticed a strange buzzing sound when several images were being saved to the card. Is this normal?

Thanks

11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Does it do this every time you use continuous shooting or just that one time?

I did have my K-30 act strange once when continuous shooting, but it was a bit more severe than what you experienced - it just kept shooting until I removed the battery. Actually I don't think it was actually shooting as no images were recorded but for sure the mirror was flapping up and down continuously and none of the controls responded - not even the power switch.
11-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
I take enough shots until the buffer is full and stop shooting. The camera is still saving the images to the card. That is when I first noticed the noise. The noise stops when the camera has finished saving the images. Actually it makes the same noise if I take one image but I never noticed it because it takes less time to save.
11-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
Update. I went to a camera store and tried out a k30 with Da*60-250 which I am interested in buying. I couldn't hear a sound when the camera saved the images from the buffer to the card but then as is the case in most stores they did have background music blaring which could have masked the noise. I really do not think there should be any mechanical noises when all it is doing is saving images to the sd card. Looks like a trip to Pentax service again.

11-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine does this, noticed it the other day.

I think its the Shake Reduction
11-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
Mine does this, noticed it the other day.

I think its the Shake Reduction
It has been suggested that the cpu inside is probably using more power when saving and that makes coils in the switching power supply make some noise. I checked again and the sound is the same as when the mirror is up in live view so I think noise from the coils is the answer.

Thanks