Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
The flash is also a bit of a problem, as you can see from the last photo whic is shot with the pop-up flash. Nothing wrong with the flash itself but the rain droplets sort of ruin the photo. They are not on the lens but in front of the camera. I somehow managed to keep the lens reasonably dry for the first few minutes by keeping it pointed down or away from the wind direction as much as possible but the droplets falling just in front of the camera are impossible to avoid.
I know you said the rain droplets ruin the photo,/ but I kind of like the effect. It's natural, and not some crappy Instagram filter.

I've tried my K30 in some light/medium rain, and my biggest problem was droplets falling dripping onto the front of the lens. Two things I think will help: 1 - The lens hood will add some protection, depending on which way you're facing. 2 - Having a UV filter on the lens, and then having a cloth handy so you can wipe away droplets as they appear without worrying about damaging your lens.

Thanks for the report. I'm eager to test out my K30 in some real rain soon now that I have a WR lens to slap onto it.

11-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #17

Snowday

Hey does wet melty snow count?

I can attest to the fact that the uv filter and lens hood do help to keep things clear.

Just before I left work to walk home it changed from rain to snow. Without hesitation I brought out the K30. I have also shot with no problem in colder snowy connditions as well.

I will post some of the resulting photos once I feel confident to access the photos when things are dryer. Until then here is what things looked like by the time I got home.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A40  Photo 
11-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #18

The lens hood helps a real lot in the rain. I live in Seattle and it rains here all the time.
I was in the Sounders' game a few weeks ago taking pics in the stadium under 90 mins of constant rain.
With the lens hood on, I was able to keep water drops away from the lens. The only time when I got water drops on my lens was when I was pointing my camera upward to shoot the fireworks.
11-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #19

Original Poster
Glad I started this thread as it has some interesting data and opinions and somewhat lessened my fears that the K-30 wasn't very waterproof.Turns out I didn't use the information as I bought a K-5 from Adorama when they dropped price to $749.Wish Pentax had dealers where one could go in and try different models to see if one model handled better than another as this would help one make better choices.
lister6520
What was the event that got all those people out is such a downpour?

12-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boker Quote
lister6520
What was the event that got all those people out is such a downpour?
It was meant to be a walk in the park - literally. We didn't actually go out in a downpour - it started off as a reasonably fine day and wasn't meant to rain and hardly anyone was prepared for it. It started quite suddenly and unexpectedly about an hour into the walk.

This is what it looked like a couple of minutes before the rain started. It looked nothing like that when we started out.
12-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #21

Original Poster
There were several umbrellas in the crowd so it looks like some were expecting bad weather.
12-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #22

K30 dead

Hi everyone -- I found this thread while searching around for feedback about the k30 weather resistance.

I recently purchased the k30 with 18-135 WR lens and took it out for a hike which turned rainy. It was wrapped in a towel inside a backpack for most of the day, but came out for several minutes at a time in light rain to take some shots. After a while, it died on me, so I wrapped it up in the towel again and stowed it away. When I got home I saw that water appeared to have seeped under the lcd screen and there was significant moisture inside the viewfinder and condensation inside the lens. It has been unresponsive since.

I'm hoping to send it for servicing under the still fresh international warranty next week. Does anyone have any experience with pentax warranty service relating to water damage in weather resistant parts? I suppose it was foolish to test my luck with brand new gear, but if it can't take a bit of zooming in the rain, then what value is the weather resistant label?
12-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #23

Original Poster
With K-30's still coming up drowned glad I went with the K-5

12-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #24

I'm starting to wish I had. I'll let the forum know how the customer service process plays out. Hopefully they stand by their product.
12-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Send them the several official commercials that show shooting in rain/splashing water on the camera if they get defensive.

I believe in Pentax's WR (but not necessarily their QC sometimes), so I would definitely get a k-5/k-30 and expect to use in the rain without worry. Even with the zooming bit, I would use zoom - but not excessively.

However, if something fails and I definitely had not been stupid (didn't close a door right, didn't use WR lens, etc), then I fully expect Pentax to stand by their warranty.
12-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #26
Pentaxian

:(

Well, after reading this thread, I decided to examine my blue K30.

When I first got the K30 I put a thin clear screen protector on the LCD, the kind that is used for smartphones, almost immediately. I did a crappy job of it, so my fingerprints and some dust/hairs got trapped between the glass and the screen protector. I peeled the screen protector off today on a whim. To me it looked like the hairs and dust had only gotten between the screen protector and the top of the LCD. Once the screen protector was off, I saw that some dust/hairs had gotten underneath the LCD!

I have used my K30 pretty regularly in the past two months. In fact, today marks exactly two months since I purchased it. I am at 4764 actuations, and while I haven't used my camera in heavy rain, I've taken it hiking, snowshoeing, and cycling in light drizzly weather with no ill effects. The camera functions normally now, but the sole reason I bought this specific camera was so I can take it with me on a multi-day hike in monsoon weather. If dust and hairs can get underneath the LCD, then water will most certainly get in as well.

So I called the camera store where I bought it, and the salesperson (the same one who sold me the camera) said that if I send it in for repairs today, it will probably be gone from my hands until the new year. He's going to call the Pentax rep and get a more clear answer as to time frame for the repair. That's brutal, since I have a lot of functions coming up where I would like to take pictures and show off my snazzy blue camera.

While this is upsetting, it's not a deal breaker. I've purchased my fair share of tech toys over the years, and defects happen from time to time, especially with 1st gen iterations of new products. I'm just glad I decided to take a closer look and spotted the problem before it led to something worse.

Guess there's no excuse now. I have to buy that bloody yellow K01 so I have a camera for the holidays.

I'm trying to take a picture of the hair and dust underneath the LCD, but I'm finding it difficult with my cellphone camera.

Edit: Just talked with the sales guy. He said that Pentax can't really guarantee a time frame for when the camera can be fixed and returned, because depending on what the specific issue is (they have to examine the camera) they may not have the parts, which can cause a delay. Also, it's the holidays, and things might just be slower because people will be taking time off and stuff. I was advised to wait until the new year before sending the camera in, which I will do. In the meantime I will just be a little extra careful with it during foul weather. Again, I've taken it into some drizzle without issue, but if I can get it fixed for free then why not.

Last edited by EarlVonTapia; 12-03-2012 at 06:15 PM.
12-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Hmm.... Those still under warranty, i'd suggest doing this:

Abuse the warranty and camera by washing the K-30/K5iiS everyday, or after every use..
Heck, you can get a "brand new" camera everytime... LoL!

Enough people doing this and i bet Pentax will start looking into their QC.
12-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I thought that this water and dust under the LCD problem had been put to bed a while ago. As I understand it, the K-30 screen is a cover over the LCD, and yes water and dust can get under it if it's not bonded perfectly but it won't kill the camera, water should eventually dry out but dust could be a problem (air line fix?). I'm thinking of getting some clear RTV to smear into the tiny gap around the outside cover but there's no rush as I haven't got any WR lenses yet. I believe this issue has been fully addressed in the K5II being described as air-gap free..

Edit:- I've just used some black RTV and there's no gaps now. I also treated it to a new screen protector.

Last edited by SteveB; 12-04-2012 at 12:20 PM.
12-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I thought that this water and dust under the LCD problem had been put to bed a while ago. As I understand it, the K-30 screen is a cover over the LCD, and yes water and dust can get under it if it's not bonded perfectly but it won't kill the camera, water should eventually dry out but dust could be a problem (air line fix?). I'm thinking of getting some clear RTV to smear into the tiny gap around the outside cover but there's no rush as I haven't got any WR lenses yet. I believe this issue has been fully addressed in the K5II being described as air-gap free..

Edit:- I've just used some black RTV and there's no gaps now. I also treated it to a new screen protector.
You're right. After some reading, I don't think the LCD seal issue will cause any sort of catastrophic failure to the camera. I don't think I'll be smearing any glue on it though.

I am going on a snowshoe trip in a couple of weeks, and I'll put the K30 through the paces then. If water does leak in AND it causes some sort of problem with the camera operations, then I'll send it in. Otherwise, it'll just have to tough it out.