Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

Looking for upgrade advice

Hi All,

Given the current price drops on the K-30 in the UK, I'm after some upgrade advice.

My current setup is an ist*DS with 18-55 and 70-210 lenses, and a dead Pentax SFX with working 28-70 Sigma lens. I recently invested in a wired intervalometer remote for the DS to experiment with timelapse. The DS has suffered from e-dial fatigue for several years, so I'm limited to shooting the timelapses in AV mode rather than fully manual.

My question is, would the K-30 be a good replacement for the DS for general/timelapse photography, and could I use my existing lenses and remotes with the K-30? I realise that the lenses won't be weather sealed, but my next lens purchase is likely to be a 10-20 wide angle rather than a WR lens.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Kaitain

11-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it will be a huge jump up in a variety of ways. To answer one specific question - the K-30 does both wired and wireless remote control and to my recollection Pentax has used the same connectors and IR for all their K digital cameras, so your remotes should work. On the lenses, again, yes they will work with the K-30.

If you haven't already I strongly recommend that you read this review section by members on the K-30. It also has a good summary of the tech of the camera.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k30.html
11-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 to what Docrwm said; also, the K-30 has a built-in interval shooting mode. I've used the same IR remote with both. Weather sealing is a nice feature, but there's no need to replace your existing lenses (unless you begin shooting in much wetter conditions than you already work in). The K-30's higher resolution may make you start thinking about upgrading lenses, but what you have will work fine.

In terms of general photography, especially low light performance, the K-30 runs rings around the istDS (sometimes taunting it, but the DS is too mature to be bothered by such nonsense).
11-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses. The only things which bug me a bit about the K-30 are the lack of a DC power connection (for extended unmanned time-lapses), and the lack of a stereo mic (I'd like to start experimenting with DSLR video as well). I suppose the only other option is the K-5 and that's a bit out of my price range.

I'll have another read of the review tonight.

Thanks

Kaitain

11-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Don't rule out the k-5.
11-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Agreed about the K-5 ... Prices may come down further as it reaches its end of production supply ... watch both closely IMHO, plus there's the current 50£ rebate on the K-30 ... decisions, decisions. J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 11-21-2012 at 10:47 AM.
11-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For tethered DC power, perhaps something could be cobbled together from a 6-volt adapter and one of the 4-AA battery clips...

11-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks all. I think I need to try them both in a shop if possible before making the decision, but the images I've seen from them on the web are amazing.
11-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
The D-DC128 kit will..

provide external power via the battery chamber.
Good shopping (I will pick up my K-30 tomorrow).
Regards, Jan
01-03-2013, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Got the K30

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice. I used the Christmas break to read up on the K-5/K-30 and finally settled on the K-30 body which I picked up last Sunday, along with the O-GPS unit. I really love the GPS unit, as I managed to capture a quite good image of the Orion nebula on my first attempt, using my old Sigma 70-210 lens. Not sure why Picasa is seeing it as a pentax SMC 35-105 lens though?

I'll post some images once I've got the hang of things.

Regards

Kaitain
01-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaitain Quote
Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice. I used the Christmas break to read up on the K-5/K-30 and finally settled on the K-30 body which I picked up last Sunday, along with the O-GPS unit. I really love the GPS unit, as I managed to capture a quite good image of the Orion nebula on my first attempt, using my old Sigma 70-210 lens. Not sure why Picasa is seeing it as a pentax SMC 35-105 lens though?

I'll post some images once I've got the hang of things.

Regards

Kaitain
Congratulations!