Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K-30 "AWB in Tungsten Light" setting does not work

I tried to take some pictures in incandescent light and found that there is no difference between "1" or "2" value for "AWB in Tungsten Light" (Last group of menu items, C-2 #11). It is supposed to apply "1. Subtle Correction" or "2. Strong Correction". What am I missing? Can some one please verify this?

Edit: The menu option is for "Auto" white balancing when the camera detects incandescent light. I was trying to use manually selected incandescent white balancing to produce warmer results similar to K100D.

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 11-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.
11-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post some samples? It could be that no correction is needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The original post was partly my mistake. The menu option is for "Auto" white balance when it detects incandescent light. Not when you set the camera for incandescent white balancing. (I think).

An old K100D did produce a much warmer color even after applying WB for tungsten.

Attaching two images one from K100D Tungsten light White Balance. Second image is using K30 again with Tungsten light White balance.
I was trying to produce image similar to K100D in K30.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
11-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So... you want a warmer white balance ever after tungsten? I know my k-x is really cool when applying tungsten white balance, so I'm not sure there is such an option.

11-29-2012, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can fine tune the white balance settings, page 144 in the manual. You can make the tungsten setting colder or warmer as you please.
Attached Images

11-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
You can fine tune the white balance settings, page 144 in the manual. You can make the tungsten setting colder or warmer as you please.
Excellent tip! I played with that a little, I should be able to make the result similar to that of K100D.
Thank you!!

(Wow! Pentax, you rock!!)
11-30-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The 'extra strength' setting of 2 for AWB definitely works on my K-30, giving the best natural colours I've seen yet from a range of cameras and phone cameras used in my mainly low-energy bulb (1 bedroom low wattage tungsten) lit house and it also seems to be safe to leave the K-30 at that setting for normal daylight shots, although I haven't judged it thoroughly so far but nothing has looked 'off'. The default setting of 1 seems warm enough indoors under artificial light if that's what's desired. I have one issue though, yet to be investigated properly, but AWB2 didn't seem to reduce excessive warmth on a couple of old M lenses, I had to use the Tungsten setting for those.