Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #1

Anyone consider the k-5II?

I'm about to bite on a new camera and am down between the k-5 II and the k-30. I'm curious to hear from anyone considering both of these and chose the K-30. If so, what made you decide on the 30 and would you make the same choice again? I like the idea of saving $500 but I don't mind spending it, if it's worth he difference (this will be my camera for a long time and I don't want regret not spending the extra). Thanks for the input!

-Walter

12-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aboard!!

Walter, there are some real advantages to the K-5 body over the K-30 with grips and such. The K-5 original is selling for around $750 and the IIs which just won a couple awards and is getting great reviews is roughly the same price as the II but with better IQ according to reports. Have you looked at all 4 options - K-30, K-5 "Classc", K-5II, and K-5IIs?
12-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

I have a K-7 and I will upgrade it in a couple of months. I will go for the K-5IIs. My main reasons are:

-I work outdoor and I want a sturdy camera; the K-5 II like the K-7 has a magnesium frame;

-I want the dual dials; while I often use the hyper (P) mode, I love switching to Tav or Av simply by using the relevant dial.

-The upper LCD is a bonus. I ove it on the K-7 and it allows me to select some key settings un-obstrusively.

-The shutter sound is more quiet.

Overall it is not balck and while. In my case, the K-5IIs makes more sense but it may not be your case.

On the other hand, the K-30 is great for:
- the friendly price,

- focus peaking; I use it on my K-01 and I love it.

-the video; but I have already the K-01 and I use it for the video.

My 5 cents. Hope that the comment may assist,,,,
12-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Welcome Aboard!!

Walter, there are some real advantages to the K-5 body over the K-30 with grips and such. The K-5 original is selling for around $750 and the IIs which just won a couple awards and is getting great reviews is roughly the same price as the II but with better IQ according to reports. Have you looked at all 4 options - K-30, K-5 "Classc", K-5II, and K-5IIs?
Thanks for the response. I've looked at many of the options. The K-5 is an option, assuming its available to buy at the end of the month. It will depend on price compared to the K-5 II 18-135 kit, I spend a lot of time at the lake and beach and want that as a nice general use but rugged lens. The S sounds nice but I know I'm not going to be quite good enough to really appreciate the lack of AA filter and while I generally err towards more expensive is better, I trying to fight the feature creep urge. Hence the strong consideration of the 30.

I've been trying to find the practical differences but all anyone ever gives me are specs that I can pull off of snapsort. I took a couple years away from photography. I was a Nikon guy and loved my D300 but I'm starting fresh and love the accessibility of the WR lenses by Pentax which seem to be a significant premium on all other brands. The short of it being I'm decent with a camera but I'm trying to make sure I take a serious look at the 30 and the $500 savings it would give me. Thanks again.

12-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the K5 and personally love the thing! I would like the added resolution of the K5IIs, but truthfully, if it were between the K5II and K5 I'd for got the cheaper K5! I think between the K5 and K30 I'd fo for the K5 simply because for video I'll stick with my HD camcorder. The K5 has a nice feel in the hand and a very solid build. Paired with the 18-135 I've actually been able to be in the rain and not worry at all.
12-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I own and use the K5 but for 2weeks I used the K30 exclusively on vacation. The K30 image quality is on par with K5 although it records 14bits versus the K30's 12 bit. I did miss the top lcd but only because I am used to it. Battery life is fantastic on the K5, and good on the K30. There is no grip option for the K30. No HDMI on the K30 which I have come to appreciate on the K5. The SD card insert area is tighter on the K30, feels like I need tweezers to remove the card, the K5 is fine for my medium mitts. JMHO
12-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had K5 (served me very well over 2 yrs).
Planned to get K5IIs, but got K30 instead at the end.
It was more a future economic reason than anything to do with usage.
With the FF apparently coming in a year or so, I figured that I'd loose quite a bit trying to sell off a K5IIs in that time frame.
And I'm sure I'd get a Pentax FF when it comes out (no wishy-wash.. excuses.. so I know K5IIs will only last me 1yr)

As for K30 usage, I'm still trying to get used to it.
Using the K5 for 2yrs (and lots of usage), I've become so 'melded' to it.
Be it fast access to its buttons/features, shooting workflow, exposure bias, PP workflow, I've become very accustomed to the K5.
In that sense, I still think of shifting to a K5IIs when the price drops a tier or two.
Maybe the focusing peaking on the K30 will make me change my mind (yet to try)

Don't get me wrong though.
The K30 as a camera at its price ticks so many checkboxes that its almost the perfect camera.
Cheap; Lighter/smaller; Still WS; 16mp and as good as K5 in o/p; Peaking; 2 scroll wheels and quite a wealth of buttons for fast access.
It just leaves all other DSLR that are around its price segment in the dust.

12-04-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Coming from a K-7, I had a similar choice. Tho the II and IIs domt seem to have arrive in Oz yet (well, Teds didnt have any yet) I was down to the K-5 'Classic' and the K30.
I literally had one in each hand trying to make a choice.
Now I got a good deal on my K-5, so it was only AU$150 difference; so I went with the K-5. Had there been the suspected $500 difference, the K-30 would have one hands-down and I just would have lived without a grip or top LCD.
My point is this; if you can get a K-5 'Classic' for a good run-out deal; then nab it. Right now they are the bargain of the century IMHO. But if it comes down to the K-5II/s and the 30, especially as it sounds like you do a bit of hiking/walking on unstable ground; then *personally* I'd go the 30.
12-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
. The SD card insert area is tighter on the K30, feels like I need tweezers to remove the card, the K5 is fine for my medium mitts. JMHO
It's difficult only if you take the card out in the traditional manner. The right way is to ping it across the room! Or rather a variation of this where you hold the K-30 card slot downwards, then just flick the card with one finger and get the card to land either in your lap or in your palm.
12-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #10

OT: I take off SD card from K30 in tent, because i can find card later